The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

Edgy01

And another one. This dead Coast Live Oak tree in the Santa Ynez Valley. Shot with Velvia 100, with the 503CW and the 250mm f/5.6 Superachromat lens, tripodSYTree72.jpg. All my scans are at max resolution in my Nikon Super Coolscan 8000ED....4000 DPI. Reduced for uploads.

dave.gt

I dont contribute to this thread alot, or at all until now, but here we go

Contax645. i guess it was the 80/F2 and a wilder guess, probably tri-x

taken on the ohlsdorf cemetery in hamburg germany in 2013

Cool! Glad to see you posting here, and this is a very nice image! Keep posting!:)

The latter half of this pandemic has seen my appreciation for nuanced film photographs increase exponentially. I am now shooting much more film in many different formats than ever in my life.

Why? That is a good question that I ask myself daily. There are many reasons… some of them are:

1. I find great pleasure enjoying the gear and the process.
2. The experience requires a different skill set that keeps me actively learning and seeing things differently.
3. The results are different and everything about the physical aspects of shooting negatives rather utilizing computer drives for capture and long term storage appeals to me.
4. Passion.,,. Developing my own film is magical in a way, and exciting when I realize how a moment is captured and involves much more of me. It becomes so much more personal than digital.
5. The craft. Hundreds of thousands of photographs over the last several decades have been my foundation for where I am today. I enjoy putting more of myself into film images and now prefer a single truly crafted image over a thousand images that were created with little time, effort or “soul “ (yes, soul - that part of me that goes into the moment of capture and every step along the way in creating the final image). It is an investment for me. Photography is not a hobby. I have a life and a huge part of my life, every facet is directly connected to my own manner of self expression.

So, I appreciate each and every post in this film thread. Each of you are sharing a little of your own soul investment with each film photograph.

You have given me a gift, and I thank you very much for sharing.:):):)

Last edited:

ggibson

Cool! Glad to see you posting here, and this is a very nice image! Keep posting!:)

The latter half of this pandemic has seen my appreciation for nuanced film photographs increase exponentially. I am now shooting much more film in many different formats than ever in my life.

Why? That is a good question that I ask myself daily. There are many reasons… some of them are:

1. I find great pleasure enjoying the gear and the process.
2. The experience requires a different skill set that keeps me actively learning and seeing things differently.
3. The results are different and everything about the physical aspects of shooting negatives rather utilizing computer drives for capture and long term storage appeals to me.
4. Passion.,,. Developing my own film is magical in a way, and exciting when I realize how a moment is captured and involves much more of me. It becomes so much more personal than digital.
5. The craft. Hundreds of thousands of photographs over the last several decades have been my foundation for where I am today. I enjoy putting more of myself into film images and now prefer a single truly crafted image over a thousand images that were created with little time, effort or “soul “ (yes, soul - that part of me that goes into the moment of capture and every step along the way in creating the final image). It is an investment for me. Photography is not a hobby. I have a life and a huge part of my life, every facet is directly connected to my own manner of self expression.

So, I appreciate each and every post in this film thread. Each of you are sharing a little of your own soul investment with each film photograph.

You have given me a gift, and I thank you very much for sharing.:):):)
Dave, I agree and appreciate your shared thoughts. My wife often asks me why I took up shooting film when my process of scanning and printing still involves digital cleanup and editing. Perhaps I will attempt some darkroom printing again one day. I think you're right that the extra effort that goes in embeds a part of yourself into the result, and I appreciate these photos that much more.

jng

My wife often asks me why I took up shooting film when my process of scanning and printing still involves digital cleanup and editing.
My wife asked me more or less the same question years ago when I pulled out the old Hasselblads from retirement to shoot 6x6 film, later to be scanned with my Nikon D800E. And, many eye rolls, a Cambo rig, and three Phase One backs later, here I am... :devilish:

Seriously, though, there is a certain magic of shooting film that digital probably can never replicate. But for me the hassle:joy ratio (not to mention time) motivated me to move on. It's also nice that the only cleanup I need to do after processing and printing the digital negatives is the wine I may have spilled while working at the computer.

John