The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

dave.gt

Ok, who needs a new camera?

After 9 years of storage, I just finished my own CLA on my only 120 film camera left. It did fine the last time I used it.

1949 Ciro-flex:
9A9A3AA4-6539-48E8-89AE-786ED468C51E.jpeg
(Apologies for the iPhone photo… but I couldn’t figure out how to do a selfie.:)

Stay tuned for future updates. Will it work? What problems will I find? What will the 6x6 images look like?

I have 4 rolls of 120 Acros II to use and find out! If they work, I have a lot of expired Ektachrome 100 in the freeezer!

ggibson

Graham, I am absolutely loving the colors from your Portra images!:):):)
Thanks! I'm sure Portra is old hat to many here, but I only shot B&W film back in high school. Trying out medium format for the past few years, I'm new to a lot of film stocks, and enjoying shooting a variety to find what clicks. Portra 160 was the first color negative I tried, and I loved the colors (though I make adjustments in post, so it's mostly a starting point). Portra 400 feels similar in a lot of ways, and ISO 400 is a lot more flexible to shoot. A new favorite! I just have to remember to bring my NDs or CPL so I can still shoot wide open :)

P. Chong

From a recent walkabout in town. The only surviving cordwainer in Singapore. This gentleman is about 80 years old, and still comes to work to make bespoke shoes in his little workshop in Golden Mile Tower. Hasselblad 500 C/M wih Carl Zeiss Planar 80mm. Hand held. Fujifilm Provia 100 positive film. Unintentional self portrait in the mirror.

shoemaker.jpg

Last edited:

dave.gt

From a recent walkabout in town. The only surviving cordswainer in Singapore. This gentleman is about 80 years old, and still comes to work to make bespoke shoes in his little workshop in Golden Mile Tower. Hasselblad 500 C/M wih Carl Zeiss Planar 80mm. Hand held. Fujifilm Provia 100 positive film. Unintentional self portrait in the mirror.

View attachment 194600
Thank you again, Peter, for teaching me something, this time about bespoke shoes. I had to look up the term for cordwainer and now it all makes sense. :) I learn so much on this forum. (y)

The image is very nice and the colors are excellent. Portra has my attention right now.

P. Chong

My preferred film for portraits is Portra, probably 400 exposed at 200 but processed at 400. But recently am playing with Cinestill 800 as well as the new Kodak Gold 200.

Here is another photograph taken with the 500 C/M Planar 80 and Provia 100. This gentleman is also an octogenarian. His name is Jimmy and he runs a traditional restaurant selling Hainanese styled western food. I have been eating at his restaurant for the last 35 years. Photographed outside his eatery.

jimmy.jpg

Thank you again, Peter, for teaching me something, this time about bespoke shoes. I had to look up the term for cordwainer and now it all makes sense. :) I learn so much on this forum. (y)

The image is very nice and the colors are excellent. Portra has my attention right now.

Last edited:

dave.gt

My preferred film for portraits is Porta, probably 400 exposed at 200 but processed at 400. But recently am playing with Cinestill 800 as well as the new Kodak Gold 200.

Here is another photograph taken with the 500 C/M Planar 80 and Provia 100.This gentleman is also an octogenarian. His name is Jimmy and he runs a traditional restaurant selling Hainanese styled western food. I have eating at his restaurant for the last 35 years. Photographed outside his eatery.

View attachment 194601
Love that photo.. 35 years!

it is interesting you mentioned Kodak Gold 200. Since having to sell my H5,:cautious:, I can no longer shoot 120 film so I am biding my time with 135 BW films and now the return to Kodak Gold 200. Looking for some retro look images!!!!:)