The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

dave.gt

Ok, I don’t know why but it seems December is always busy. But, as promised, my 1949 Medium Format Camera is coming on line to be used after a very long time on display.
It is no shelf Queen or beauty product.
It’s all I have left of medium format film gear so I might as well give it a whirl.:)

It worked in the past, but don’t expect too much.:):):)

FA6CB3BD-8A8E-486C-8A19-1C94C7D2BF20.jpeg

ECC4D64D-302A-443A-8B61-EB86B790BCDB.jpeg

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Ok, I don’t know why but it seems December is always busy. But, as promised, my 1949 Medium Format Camera is coming on line to be used after a very long time on display.
It is no shelf Queen or beauty product.
It’s all I have left of medium format film gear so I might as well give it a whirl.:)

It worked in the past, but don’t expect too much.:):):)

View attachment 199672

View attachment 199673
TLR's rule!(y)

gurtch

Don't know if this qualifies or not. My father died in May 1940 at age 29, when I was three. His negatives were lost for 72 years, then found by a complete stranger in mint condition, stored in the dark at ambient temperature, and safely returned to me. Here is a 2 minute slide show on YouTube, the camera was a Zeiss Super Ikonta "A" with 70mm Tessar, Compur Rapid shutter. I no longer have my darkroom (I am 85) but I scanned the negatives with a Nikon 8000 Coolscan. There are about 250 rolls of film individually stored in glassine envelopes. I transferred them all into archival clear negative sleeves, and used my flat bed to "contact print" each roll of film on 8.5"x11" paper. I have each roll of film stored in a three ring binder with the corresponding roll of film (just like the old days). Merry Christmas, and I hope you enjoy the two minute tribute to my Dad.
Dave in NJ

dave.gt

Don't know if this qualifies or not. My father died in May 1940 at age 29, when I was three. His negatives were lost for 72 years, then found by a complete stranger in mint condition, stored in the dark at ambient temperature, and safely returned to me. Here is a 2 minute slide show on YouTube, the camera was a Zeiss Super Ikonta "A" with 70mm Tessar, Compur Rapid shutter. I no longer have my darkroom (I am 85) but I scanned the negatives with a Nikon 8000 Coolscan. There are about 250 rolls of film individually stored in glassine envelopes. I transferred them all into archival clear negative sleeves, and used my flat bed to "contact print" each roll of film on 8.5"x11" paper. I have each roll of film stored in a three ring binder with the corresponding roll of film (just like the old days). Merry Christmas, and I hope you enjoy the two minute tribute to my Dad.
Dave in NJ
Wow, Dave!

These are excellent images and I am amazed at the detailed thorough work you did to put the images in a slide show. Very impressive!:love:

gurtch

Thank you Dave GT. The negatives make beautiful large prints. The local Foundation of the Arts invited me to do a two man show with prints of my work hanging next to my father's. It took me a year and a half to print, mount, mat and frame the show. My work included 20"x30" prints, and most of my father's I printed 11x14", some 16"x20" and one 20"x30". The big prints from the Super Ikonta camera with Zeiss lens were awe inspiring with their quality.
Dave

P. Chong

amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Dave in NJ

dave.gt

Well, taking a break from the usual chaos…:)

The last of my medium format film cameras, the Ciro-Flex TLR is ready to load after checking shutter speed, focus, aperture dial, etc.

It is an old lower priced/lower quality camera than I have ever used and the Rolleiflex TLR I had was 10 times better quality. The screen is very dull making indoor focusing extremely frustrating.

OK, so it is a less than exciting experience. But who doesn’t like a photographic challenge?:)

Once I decide what, where and when to shoot, I will load the CF with Acros II 120 film. I have no great expectations, just a curiousity how the images will turn out.

Time will tell!:)

dave.gt

Well, taking a break from the usual chaos…:)

The last of my medium format film cameras, the Ciro-Flex TLR is ready to load after checking shutter speed, focus, aperture dial, etc.

It is an old lower priced/lower quality camera than I have ever used and the Rolleiflex TLR I had was 10 times better quality. The screen is very dull making indoor focusing extremely frustrating.

OK, so it is a less than exciting experience. But who doesn’t like a photographic challenge?:)

Once I decide what, where and when to shoot, I will load the CF with Acros II 120 film. I have no great expectations, just a curiousity how the images will turn out.

Time will tell!:)
The TLR is loaded… somehow I feel like my old MGTD was a modern machine compared to this camera which feels closer to the Ford Model T! LOL…

The weather is warming up here so I may take it downtown in a day or two for a walkabout. Sunny 16 rules!:):):)

lookbook

Now that is an interesting setup. How do you use it? Can you use the shutter? And how does a Fisheye do with movements?

Edit: and I love those small Ebony cameras. Beautiful pieces of craftmanship.
... it's been maybe 15 years since I owned the camera for a short time.
I thought it was super nice too, but I always found Linhof more practical for me.

I always had good contacts with a technician at Linhof who was able to take care of special requests for me.
For example, he attached the shutter of a bellows unit to the lens plate.

Viewed on the focusing screen with the shutter cocked and open.
shutter closed, cassette attached, slider pulled and released. -
It may sound complicated, but it's quick.