The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

ggibson

I recently found a photographer, Nick Carver, on YouTube. He shoots panorama medium format film at 6x17 and produces some great images. I thought I'd mention it here since this thread is about film photography. (I have no connection to Nick Carver at all - I just like his videos and tutorials. His metering tips have helped me greatly in the last few years in using my 501cm). Nick Carver Photography Site
I've watched a number of his videos, and I agree they have a lot of good information. He's recently been doing a series of videos on 6x17 and what options are out there; though I found it funny that he did not mention the Malefic camera I'm using even though it has been around for longer than the two other 3D printed cameras mentioned (Noble and Kraken).

I'm still not 100% sure the hassle and cost of 6x17 film is worth it over digital, but to achieve the same resolution with my Sony camera would just require a different hassle and cost.

mristuccia

Now, TriX and Rodinal are not the right receipt for urban landscapes, but that day (1 week ago) unfortunately I did not find the right light for what I was aiming to...
And the fact that this interesting building happens to be Google's Headquarters is just a coincidence that I've discovered afterwards. :)

Berlin
Camera: Iskra II
Film: Kodak TriX 400
Developer: Adox Adonal 1+100 (stand development)
Scanned with my Imacon Flextight 848

20230213_BERLIN_Around_RTrix_F05_001-6-ColorPerfect_framed.jpg

Last edited:

gurtch

Apologies: not medium format, but a scanned 35mm image with my newly revived Coolscan 8000. The film was respooled Hollywood 35mm movie negative film. You exposed the film, sent it to them, and they processed the film and made small proof prints. I had a color darkroom then and made a 16"x20" print of this. I will include "actual pixel" image also which shows nice detail (and actual film grain) as well. I have a ton of old medium format negatives as well as my father's 645 negatives from the 1930's. Getting my Coolscan up and running again is very exciting to me. I also used for the first time my new custom designed and 3D printed film holders by Stephan Scharf in Germany. They are modular and fantastic!

Attachments

KC_2020

6x9Makiflex1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

by Nokton48, on Flickr

My first test exposure with the Plaubel Makiflex. Schneider 150mm F2.8 Xenotar (wide-open at F2.8), Efke 100 6x9 sheet film, processed in ADOX Borax MQ (D76 type). Focus and shutter test. A success!
Efke 100 6X9 sheet film ?

You must have purchased this some time ago.

There are two sizes of 6x9 film. The European size is 6.5 x 9 cm. The American size is 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 inches which is slightly smaller than the European size 6x9 film. To my knowledge neither are available in the U.S..

MartinN

Having a stock of expired film was also important to me, when availability and pricing of different materials started to change !

Nokton48

Efke 100 6X9 sheet film ?

You must have purchased this some time ago.

There are two sizes of 6x9 film. The European size is 6.5 x 9 cm. The American size is 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 inches which is slightly smaller than the European size 6x9 film. To my knowledge neither are available in the U.S..
Hi there. Yes I purchased 6x9 and 2x3 film quite some time ago, as I could find it. Freestyle used to sell 2x3 Arista, most of my 6x9 came from the shoppes in Europe. All stored now in my deep freeze. I do have quite an assortment. Over last week I have been loading up 6x9 and 2x3 film holders for upcoming use.

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

Last edited:

Nokton48

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here's Peco Jr with PJ1/325 Adapter with spring-loaded ground-glass screen, 6.5x9cm, for universal darkslide 6.5x9cm with Normal Double Groove Has four heavy clamps that keep the film holders tight in the back. As you can see the Back came with Single Shot and Double Shot 6.5x9cm Double Rail Holders. In a bundle I am hoping it works together since it came to me as a bundle. And also you can see I have a lot of 6.5x9cm sheet film in many flavours ready to load into these holders. The camera is now fully light trapped which has taken a while to get it right but now it is done and ready to test. I did try a quick roll of 120 in the Makina Roll Film 6x9cm Back and this thing is a blast to use.

Makiflex with PJ1325 Universal Normal Double Groove Back and Double Groove Holders by Nokton48, on Flickr

MartinN

Mamiya RZ, Sekor Z 180mm, Ilford HP5.

Really dilute 1:100 Rodinal is good for the HP5.

However, my recent trips with the RZ is more for learning the quirks of the AE Magnifying hood as exposure meter.
It is sensitive as hell and more of a lottery machine than a reliable meter, so I have to always check the very darkest part of the image.
Manual is the way to go, when the darkest is determined. (And/or a few ISO stops decreased for expired film, or overly hot sensor).