The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF Achromatic Digital Backs

tcdeveau

I have now switched over to a smaller Achromatic-commonly called the Leica M11 Monochrom.
Congrats on the M11M Lou! Looking forward to seeing what you can do with it.

Im taking good care of the IQ4A and finally have some travel planned with it out west this summer!

lookbook

... maybe it's a good idea - M11M - to move it to a Leica thread, as long as it doesn't have a big enough sensor?

P. Chong

I have now switched over to a smaller Achromatic-commonly called the Leica M11 Monochrom.
Is the M11Monochrome an achromatic camera? I took a look at a friend’s M10Monochrome, and the sensor looks the familiar bright green. Compared to the P1 IQ 3 100 Achromatic which looked brownish grey. Anyone knows how they are different?

FloatingLens

Is the M11Monochrome an achromatic camera? I took a look at a friend’s M10Monochrome, and the sensor looks the familiar bright green. Compared to the P1 IQ 3 100 Achromatic which looked brownish grey. Anyone knows how they are different?
I am not very versed with the Leica Monochroms, but I suspect Leica uses no bayer filter, but still an IR cut filter to achieve a sensor response similar to B&W film.
Phase One probably for achromatic backs use no filter at all (except for just a clear glass filter to account for identical lens performance). As far as I know, the back then has extended IR response. IR cut filter in front of the lens is needed to get a „normal“ looking B&W image.

drevil

Staff member
Floatinglens is pretty much 100% right.

you can send in the back to phase one and have various filters installed

leica unfortunately denies such services
*edit*
the IR cut filter is relatively weak, meaning it lets more IR light through than most, making the m10m(maybe m11m as well) a good choice for IR images

Last edited:

tcdeveau

AFAIK the Leicas have a UV/IR cut filter as the sensor cover glass whereas by default the p1 backs do not. As has been mentioned my understanding is P1 will install a filter if wanted