The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2021

drevil

This saturday i made a small warm up hike(before the real deal on sunday), i had to show a few friends(some of them from the south of china) the great wall, no second thoughts, it had to be the section of jiankou, one of the most iconic sections.
My friends werent sporty, so we chose an easy connecting part between the mountains, this spared us lots of other local hikers, its getting more and more every year, not a good thing at all.
Contax645, 120mm and 35mm(inside the broken tower) with P65+

Joe Colson

I did some experiments today using the Fuji GFX 100S. I wanted to see whether I could capture the songbirds that visit our feeders. I had previously done it using the Leica SL2 and the Nikon Z7. The GFX is not advertised as a wildlife camera. It’s not intended for action or fast moving subjects, according to many reviewers. Today I proved to myself that I could use it the way I used the earlier cameras. Here are a few examples:

Colson_210425_DSCF0263-Edit-FrameShop.jpg

Colson_210425_DSCF0256-FrameShop_1.jpg

Colson_210425_DSCF0235-FrameShop.jpg

The detail is incredible. The DOF is very, very thin. I may have to go to f/11. Even cropped, I end up with a 30-60 megapixel file which can easily be printed very large. So now I’m more confident in the camera and how I can use it.

Joe

KC_2020

I did some experiments today using the Fuji GFX 100S. I wanted to see whether I could capture the songbirds that visit our feeders. I had previously done it using the Leica SL2 and the Nikon Z7...
Those look great !

How was the focusing speed and color compared to the SL2 and Z7 ?

D&A

Joe, you did it with SL2, and with the Z7 and now with the GFX 100s. Goes to show it isn't the equipment but the talent and ability of the photographer. As usual, your bird imagery regardless of the camera system used is as spectacular as ever. Most impressive!!

Dave (D&A)

P. Chong

totally agree with Dave. Bravo Joe.

Joe, you did it with SL2, and with the Z7 and now with the GFX 100s. Goes to show it isn't the equipment but the talent and ability of the photographer. As usual, your bird imagery regardless of the camera system used is as spectacular as ever. Most impressive!!

Dave (D&A)

Joe Colson

Those look great !

How was the focusing speed and color compared to the SL2 and Z7 ?
Thanks! In general, the AF speed is not as fast as that of the SL2 or Z7. In this case, where the background is in the distance behind a very small subject, the trick is to first pre-focus on a spot near the subject (the branch or feeder). Once I've pre-focused, the camera acquires focus on the bird almost instantly. I try to position the focus spot on the bird's eye, which is quite a task because these small songbirds are very twitchy and don't "pose" more than a second or two.

Dave (D&A)
totally agree with Dave. Bravo Joe.
Dave & Peter, thanks very much. Coming from the two of you, that's high praise indeed. Your photos have inspired me during the pandemic and I hope to enjoy photography more now that I'm fully vaccinated. Stay safe and be well,

Joe

KC_2020

Thank you Joe !

I've shot with the SL2 and I have GFX 100S available to try out. It should be interesting. Your technique is pretty much how I shoot sports, wildlife etc.. Anything that's not 'posing.'

dj may

This is Phase 2 of a proof-of-concept for a photo exhibition. There are several "firsts" in this project.
1. First time using Leica S3 medium format camera for video.
2. First time for me playing all parts of a piece of music (Winter, composed by Antonio Vivaldi).
3. First time using Yamaha SVC 210SK electric cello for recording.
4. First time creating a soundtrack.

The video was made in my office.
This image was made with Leica S 006 and APO-Macro-Summarit-S 120. The video exhibition contains images from Leica S3, S 006 and one image with Leica 246 Monochrom (can you spot the Monochrom image?) Click to view the video.