The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2021

Greg Haag

Working my way to Death Valley, took a quick detour to Horseshoe Bend just outside of Page, AZ. It is hard to appreciate the scale of this, I don't know if you can see it in this image but there are two kayaker's on the bank below.

Cambo 1600 IQ4 150 Rodenstock 32 2 image stitch.

P0002982-Pano-Edit.jpg

P. Chong

Nice one Greg. I was at the same lookout point in 2010 when I last visited. Hasselblad H3D-39 with HCD 4/28, almost at the edge of the rock overlooking the drop into the Colorado. This was photographed just at sunset, with the sun directly in front of my camera. The little white rectangle on the foot of the rock is a tent.

horseshoe3-1920.jpg

P. Chong

looks like we did! Indeed, I put up my pic because Greg's photograph so reminded me of my trip. (Edit) I just saw Greg's BTS pic, yea, it was scary. My lens cap fell as I was setting up the tripod, luckily it did not plunge into the river, but landed close to the lip of the cliff. With the help of my shooting mate, I managed to retrieve it.

For those who have never been there, here is what it looks like. No barriers. And the sheer drop to the Colorado River is 1000 ft.

horseshoe-peeps-1920.jpg

:unsure: are you guys sure you photographed the same place ?

huyu

Working my way to Death Valley, took a quick detour to Horseshoe Bend just outside of Page, AZ. It is hard to appreciate the scale of this, I don't know if you can see it in this image but there are two kayaker's on the bank below.

Cambo 1600 IQ4 150 Rodenstock 32 2 image stitch.

View attachment 182464
Nice one Greg. I was at the same lookout point in 2010 when I last visited. Hasselblad H3D-39 with HCD 4/28, almost at the edge of the rock overlooking the drop into the Colorado. This was photographed just at sunset, with the sun directly in front of my camera. The little white rectangle on the foot of the rock is a tent.

View attachment 182470

So I'm wondering what is the real color of this place? Both are stunning

jng

Moonset over San Francisco
P02_26_2021_0357_DE_16x10_10-25-25-denoise_v2_8x10-FrameShop.jpg
WRS 1250 | IQ4 150 | Zeiss 250 Superachromat | f/8 | 2-Stop Grad ND | 0.8 sec | Dual Exposure+​

P02_26_2021_0363_DE_2x1_10-25-25-denoise-1-FrameShop_2048.jpg
WRS 1250 | IQ4 150 | Zeiss 350 Tele-Superachromat | f/11 | 0.9 sec | Dual Exposure+​

I rose at some obscene hour yesterday morning to catch February's full Snow Moon setting over San Francisco. The moon is just starting to dip behind the marine layer in the second image, and mostly disappeared before it set behind the hills. The gaggle of photobombing container ships was not so welcome, although it's good to see the port so busy these days.

John

vieri

So I'm wondering what is the real color of this place? Both are stunning
Besides post-processing "magic", one of the reason for the colour difference is light - red rock, such as sandstone & the like, tend to dramatically change their shades of red (and the color saturation) with the redder sunrise / sunset light :)

Not taken with medium format, but to illustrate the point:

Before sunrise

After sunset

Taken at one day difference, in 2018. Best regards,

Vieri

Greg Haag

Besides post-processing "magic", one of the reason for the colour difference is light - red rock, such as sandstone & the like, tend to dramatically change their shades of red (and the color saturation) with the redder sunrise / sunset light :)

Not taken with medium format, but to illustrate the point:

Before sunrise

After sunset

Taken at one day difference, in 2018. Best regards,

Vieri
Beautiful images Vieri!