The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2021

Kinya28

Westside Road, Sonoma, California

It was a beautiful spring day in Northern California yesterday. I've never had a problem new location while driving back roads of Sonoma in spring.

Kinya

PhaseOne IQ4-150/ Cambo-1600/ HR40mm/ HR70mm/ SK120mm/ Shifted/ Tilted/ Focus StackP0002518m2 copy.jpgP0002522m copy.jpgP0002533m.jpgP0002550m.jpged

spb

Staff member

Ed Hurst

Part of Sydney's Barangaroo development, International Towers glow out into the night sky. Hard to believe that, until relatively recently, this area was a working port with warehouses, wharves and the general patina of industry. And, back in the Depression, it was part of the infamous 'hungry mile', where desperate people did whatever they could to get work.

Pentax 645Z with 25mm DA
International Towers, Barangaroo, Sydney - by night by Ed Hurst, on Flickr

Ed Hurst

I wonder if you guys will indulge me!

Back in 2010, I used my Pentax 645D to shoot a steam-hauled train in the Scottish Highlands. For those of you who might care about this sort of thing, it's a Black Five on Loch nan Uamh viaduct, between Fort William and Mallaig. These days, steam-hauled trains don't usually run westbound in the late afternoon (this one was a private charter run for the photographers), so a rare opportunity to get the lighting right on such a scene. We also made sure the loco. was working in a position that's actually slightly downhill; it was important to get a steam trail.

Anyhow, I am working on something using this picture and wondered which of the two following renderings you prefer. The first one is pretty much as-shot - which is closer in on the train, but still obviously a landscape shot too. The second one involved taking a picture further back, to get more of the scene included (then compositing the train and its steam trail onto that scene); it obviously makes the train less dominant, but gives (I feel) a slightly more pleasing landscape composition. I suppose it depends how much you want the train to be dominant, and how large the picture is to be used (the train being small matters less in a massive print you can walk into, I guess!). Any preferences or views?

Thanks!

Loch nan Uamh viaduct in October 2010 by Ed Hurst, on Flickr
_IGP0769Step18sRGB by Ed Hurst, on Flickr

spb

Staff member

Back in 2010, I used my Pentax 645D to shoot a steam-hauled train in the Scottish Highlands. For those of you who might care about this sort of thing, it's a Black Five on Loch nan Uamh viaduct, between Fort William and Mallaig. These days, steam-hauled trains don't usually run westbound in the late afternoon (this one was a private charter run for the photographers), so a rare opportunity to get the lighting right on such a scene. We also made sure the loco. was working in a position that's actually slightly downhill; it was important to get a steam trail.

Anyhow, I am working on something using this picture and wondered which of the two following renderings you prefer. The first one is pretty much as-shot - which is closer in on the train, but still obviously a landscape shot too. The second one involved taking a picture further back, to get more of the scene included (then compositing the train and its steam trail onto that scene); it obviously makes the train less dominant, but gives (I feel) a slightly more pleasing landscape composition. I suppose it depends how much you want the train to be dominant, and how large the picture is to be used (the train being small matters less in a massive print you can walk into, I guess!). Any preferences or views?

Thanks!

The first image is the one for me. I like that there is more of the bridge and train and trail of steam. It seems also that this is a sharper image than the second, but that might be me imagining it.

docholliday

Thanks!

The first is better than the second... but I'd have done a crop something roughly like this to give the subjects more interaction, focus, and weight (apologies for hacking your shot):
12551151324_1b7badafb5_h.jpg