The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2021

diggles

XFII/IQ4150 240mm six shot stitch:
Fantastic image Ed and perfectly executed!

I have a question about how you did the 6 shot stitch because it's difficult to tell how your camera is configured from the behind the scenes image. Are you using some sort of nodal slide for the stitching? Or were you able to pull this off without any additional device besides the tripod?

etrump

Fantastic image Ed and perfectly executed!

I have a question about how you did the 6 shot stitch because it's difficult to tell how your camera is configured from the behind the scenes image. Are you using some sort of nodal slide for the stitching? Or were you able to pull this off without any additional device besides the tripod?
Thank you!

I always shoot with about 60mm offset with the P1 wether I’m stitching or not. It doesn’t match the nodal point exactly but is enough that stitching is easy and seems to balance the glass better.

In this case the scene was about a 1/4 mile away so it would have been fine directly on the tripod.

vieri

I was fortunate to sell the following image in a 5 foot by 20 foot print. The original image was photographed last year about this time except it was a single exposure with the 40-80 lens cropped to fit the clients space. I got the bright idea I would simply photograph it again and stitch using the 240mm exposures. Since the client had already approved a proof I did my best to get the same "look" using the same sky. Easy in my mind but not so much in real life. Anyway, I thought it turned out surprising close to the original so I think I am good to go.

Turned out to be six exposures with the 240 with almost not crop from the bottom. Went from 12,000 pixels wide to 38,000 so the difference in detail should be noticable.

XFII/IQ4150 240mm six shot stitch:
View attachment 185225

Before sunrise it looked pretty nice as well (same 6 shots with the 240mm with no crop). I often photograph the skies separately from my main subject and this was no exception. It's difficult to catch the right light on the subject and the sky at the same time. It also makes it easy to position the sky as pleasing as possible.

View attachment 185224

I have permission to enter the ranch but further down the hill is not as good a view for this scene.

View attachment 185226

Finally here is the installation mockup and will the largest I have done.

View attachment 185227
Great shots Ed! :) Loved the "Ansel-like" setup on the roof of your car as well! :D

Best regards,

Vieri

diggles

I always shoot with about 60mm offset with the P1 wether I’m stitching or not. It doesn’t match the nodal point exactly but is enough that stitching is easy and seems to balance the glass better.
This is very interesting to me. I just ordered a RRS nodal slider to try stitching without a tech cam. Your results show me that it can be done amazingly well, now I just need to figure out how to do it.

Ed Hurst

I'm delighted to see that you're posting again. Truly a "spiffing pic", Ed. Thanks for sharing.

Joe
Thanks so much, Joe. I appreciate that. Recently had health issues that required surgery and took me out of action for quite some time - so it feels lovely to be involved and part of it all again. I am going to be watching my body for years to come, and I am realising what a profoundly positive effect photography can have on well-being, purpose, beauty and friendships.

Mark C

It's been many months since I posted on here but now I've decided to do more with MF photography. To that end I've just taken delivery of a new Fuji GFX100S which arrived 3 days ago after a 3 month wait. I'm also waiting for a new lens, the GF 45-100mm which appears to be sold out everywhere in the UK due to a recent £450 rebate. The dealer assures me I'll get that discount when the lens arrives, I just need to wait for it. In the meantime, one of my first pics with the new camera, a rather wet looking Bluetit taken just after heavy rain had stopped, this is a 50% crop using The GFX100S + GF250mm + 1.4xTC:
Bluetit by Mark, on Flickr

spb

Staff member
It's been many months since I posted on here but now I've decided to do more with MF photography. To that end I've just taken delivery of a new Fuji GFX100S which arrived 3 days ago after a 3 month wait. I'm also waiting for a new lens, the GF 45-100mm which appears to be sold out everywhere in the UK due to a recent £450 rebate. The dealer assures me I'll get that discount when the lens arrives, I just need to wait for it. In the meantime, one of my first pics with the new camera, a rather wet looking Bluetit taken just after heavy rain had stopped, this is a 50% crop using The GFX100S + GF250mm + 1.4xTC:
Bluetit by Mark, on Flickr
That lens again! It really produces great results.