The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2021

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
This will be old news for many, but for those thinking about a tilt adapter, it might be useful. I tried out a Fotodiox tilt-shift adapter recently. I used a 50R and a Pentax 645 55mm lens. I wish I had had better subject matter, but I was very impressed with the effect of about 5 degrees of tilt. The closest leaves were about 8 ft from the camera. Note the furthest leaves.

View attachment 188930View attachment 188931
The rule of thumb (and geometry) for a reasonably level camera at around 5 and 1/2 feet above the ground is 1 degree of tilt for every 30mm of focal length. I'm certainly not arguing with success, but see how 2 degrees tilt works.
Matt
(I think I learned that from Jack F. )

Last edited:

tsjanik

Thanks Matt, that is a handy guideline to know. It may in fact have been less than 5. I focused using live view and only checked the tilt afterward; the adapter is subject to creep without much prompting.

MGrayson

This is definitely “fun with” rather than art.

I have friends in town. They were going to stay a few days, but one of them had emergency surgery and they're staying for a week in their son's girlfriend's apartment. Got that? Anyway, I was seeing how the patient was recuperating and was asked the inevitable "Why do you need such a big camera?" I took a snapshot of the bed (Leica S(007), S-120mm) and sent it to them after I got home.

Their response was "It makes me relax just looking at it." High praise, indeed!

Matt

Last edited:

f6cvalkyrie

do you have to manually adjust the focus, take a shot, then adjust, shoot, adjust shoot, etc… then use helicon software to merge? I’ve got a DF, and getting a 120 mf macro for it. Mostly to shoot my BW negs. Hadn’t thought about actuallyusing for Macro.
Indeed, that's my workflow ... focus, shoot, refocus, shoot .... you'll need a stable tripod and the subject should not move during the shoot ... works well inside the home or studio, not so much outside where there is always some wind ... I wish you pleasure and success !!!

Stay safe,
Rafael

drevil

Staff member
My elder son, Archie (7) running along Palm Beach in Sydney's north.

Pentax 645Z with 90mm DFA lens (panned by hand with the lens's image stabilisation activated)
Truly something different than what we are used from you ^^

Reactions: spb

drevil

Staff member

Just that time of the week, from yesterdays hike, and what trouble we went through again, with local security actually warning us we might need to pay 30k RMB if we dont turn around. we did and walked into the other direction.

I originally planned to take my C645 with p65+ that day, to capture some nice autumn colors with the CCD. But i was out with that setup at the day before and the rechargeable battery(around 10 years old?) didnt hold up for 70 exposures, so i took my trusted GFX100 and mostly used my C645 120mm Makro for stitching.
New 2CR5s ordered

GeorgeBo

Took advantage of the great weather today and went on a walk along a river to enjoy some autumn colors. There was a consistent breeze this morning so I knew I would not be able to get sharp leaves. So I put on a 10 stop ND filter and embraced the motion blur :)

Cambo Actus-GFX/GFX 50S/Nikkor-SW 65mm f/4

George

G50S3197-Frame.jpg

MGrayson

Every once in a while (for me, a long, long while), a manually focused long lens actually gets the object in question. Leica S(007), Zeiss 250/5.6 Superachromat

More typical for me... (I posted a tighter crop, but now prefer it looser.)

Or color? Hmmm...

Matt

Last edited: