The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2021

AndereObjektiv

MGrayson said:
Nice! All I'd see on the way to the mailbox would be the elevator :(.
Is that a windmill in the center distance?
Indeed it is, one of a 2 small wind turbines visible from the top of the fields, the other is out of frame at left.

EDIT:

Actually there appear to be 2 wind turbines in that image. So 3 visible from the hilltop.

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Experimenting with 1) a tripod, 2) a 10-stop ND filter, and 3) a 250/5.6 lens. A lot of changes at once.

Dawn. Leica S(007), 250/5.6 Superachromat, Kase 10-stop filter, 4s @ f/11
Saturation was turned DOWN. I'm seeing posterization - not in LR, but in the output. Edit: Fixed using @AndereObjektiv's suggestion.

Matt

Last edited:

AndereObjektiv

Dawn. Leica S(007), 250/5.6 Superachromat, Kase 10-stop filter, 4s @ f/11
Saturation was turned DOWN. I'm seeing posterization - not in LR, but in the output.

Matt

Lovely. May I suggest 16 bit output to get rid of the quantization artifacts, like a 16bit sRGB png for the web. Larger files, but smooth gradients without banding or colorations. Superachromat... ahh lucky you.

Best of luck with those tripod things!

MGrayson

Lovely. May I suggest 16 bit output to get rid of the quantization artifacts, like a 16bit sRGB png for the web. Larger files, but smooth gradients without banding or colorations. Superachromat... ahh lucky you.

Best of luck with those tripod things!
Bigger files, indeed! But it looks much better. Thanks!

Matt

MGrayson

Matt, those words are greatly appreciated!
Well, I love the balance of peace and drama. It's rare to get both in the same image.

Meanwhile, I got the tripod to the OTHER side of the park and tried to get .. anything. Here is The El Dorado which, as far as I can tell, translates to "The The Golden One". Happens all the time. Mt. Kilimanjaro means Mount Mount Njaro (I think). My favorite is Pendleton Hill. I was told that each syllable is "hill" in a more recent language than the preceding one, hence "hill hill hill hill". But I digress. Leica S(007), Zeiss 250/5.6 SA.

One of the great pleasures of photography (for me, anyway) is when possible images start talking to you. With each new piece of equipment, it takes some familiarity before that happens. I've been trying to use tripods and longer lenses for the past month or so. I had just had an unsuccessful outing taking static and lifeless images. I packed up and was walking home. Then the above image said "Put down the pack, set up the tripod and capture this image, you fool!" I stood there for a minute before following its advice. It was so nice to hear that voice again.

Matt

Last edited: