The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2021

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Nice images, Matt. I really like the compressed perspective that the longer lens gives.
Thank you, John. I seem drawn to the extremes. For me, "normal" focal lengths are much more difficult, or at least I haven't trained my eye to notice interesting images with them. I think the advice "go out with a single focal length and use it for a week or two" is good. In a snowstorm, I'll go out with only a 70mm. The system is weather-proof, but changing lenses isn't. :)

Michiel Schierbeek

Dee Why beach, in Sydney's north

GFX100S with Pentax 28-45mm lens @ 28mm

Hello Ed, interesting to see the use of your Pentax lenses on the GFX system, especially the 28-45, which I love for its focal reach. How do they fare and is it easy to focus without AF on the GFX? May be you got this question before at some point and I missed it. Nice image BTW!

MGrayson

Today we present: The Wrong Tool for the Job - The Zeiss 350/5.6 Superachromat on a Leica S(007)
(Does not apply to @doug, who can manually focus anything)

I like the composition. Unfortunately, everything is out of focus. Damn.

Well, THIS part of a different shot is in focus, so we'll call it an abstract.

The color version of this is posted in the Tree Photos thread. It shows the compressed look even on a single tree. Here's my even-I’m-getting-tired-of-it white foliage attempt to showcase the branches. A wide angle lens would have done quite well here, but I wanted to "learn" the 350. Edit: I toned down the foliage. It's a bit more complex now.

Well, first outings with a lens are likely to be disappointing, so I'm not disappointed. (That's the kind of statement that caused computers in 1960's SciFi to self-destruct. I always expect the computer to say “Oh look! A logical fallacy. Cute! I’ll put that on my mantle piece right next to the last digit of pi”).

Matt

PS: Actually, this one kinda works. It's 1/125 second, so the birds have a motion blur which is attractive on birds and not on humans.

Last edited:

gurtch

My first outing with this camera. Lenses used were 23mm, 32-64mm, 100-200mm all at f16, ISO 400, all hand held, except the 100-200 I used a monopod. I really like the camera. The IBIS suits an 84 year old guy.

Dave

Attachments

Mark C

I had the pleasure of visiting Durham cathedral (N E England) today, which is worth a visit at any time, more so at present as they are hosting the museum of the moon. This is a 7m wide sculpture based on detailed NASA images. It was lit by available light through the tall stained glass windows within the cathedral at the time of my visit. Taken with my GFX100S + GF23mm:

Museum of the moon by Mark, on Flickr

FloatingLens

I had the pleasure of visiting Durham cathedral (N E England) today, which is worth a visit at any time, more so at present as they are hosting the museum of the moon. This is a 7m wide sculpture based on detailed NASA images. It was lit by available light through the tall stained glass windows within the cathedral at the time of my visit. Taken with my GFX100S + GF23mm:

Museum of the moon by Mark, on Flickr
Impressive imagery!

MGrayson

I found a larger model of the moon, but the lighting was awful! :ROFLMAO: The moon was so lost in the haze that focus peaking didn't see anything to highlight. This is a testament to good fortune in manual focusing (NOT hand held. Lens support rail and Gitzo 5 held). I was really surprised to see what clarity and dehaze could find in that faint pale arc.

BTW, here's what was visible - straight OOC.

This one is not THAT interesting, but I liked the arc of lit green.

And a nicely eerie hole filled with color in the wall of vegetation.

All of the above with Leica S(007), Zeiss 350/5.6 Superachromat, and Teleconverter APO 1.4XE for a grand total of 490mm f/8.

Matt

Last edited:

FloatingLens

Saw this tree on the way down from the great wall, in miyun district of beijing, lots of nice autumn colors already.
Shot this wide open with the Contax 645 and 120mm Makro Planar and P65+
Stunning! Did you remove the signature AMP vignette or is it a crop?