The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Hurst

On the stretch of coastline where Cook (later to be Captain Cook) first landed in Australia, 'claiming' the land for Britain, there stands a sculpture of a whale and her calf... I felt that the stars suggest the endless ocean that's home to these wonderful animals and the endless history of this land that changed so much following that fateful day in 1770.

Fuji GFX100S with Pentax 645 28-45mm lens @ 31mm
StarTrailsFromFiles_DSF2006-2906_Step7sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr

Last edited:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

This is strictly fun! I use focus stacking for intimate landscapes but had never used it for macro work, which I rarely do. I wanted to find out how long Helicon focus took to render 93 full size TIFFS - it was about two minutes with my MacBook Pro Max. The fun part is that the watch was running and thus the blurred red of the sweep second hand. The image is much larger than the watch.

Not art, just fun. XF/IQ150/120 Macro.

2022-05-25 14-04-56 (B,R8,S4).jpg

dchew

This is strictly fun! I use focus stacking for intimate landscapes but had never used it for macro work, which I rarely do. I wanted to find out how long Helicon focus took to render 93 full size TIFFS - it was about two minutes with my MacBook Pro Max. The fun part is that the watch was running and thus the blurred red of the sweep second hand. The image is much larger than the watch.

View attachment 194208
Come on Bill, don't you know that all watch images must be shot precisely at 10:09??
:rolleyes:

Ed Hurst

On the stretch of coastline where Cook (later to be Captain Cook) first landed in Australia, 'claiming' the land for Britain, there stands a sculpture of a whale and her calf... I felt that the stars suggest the endless ocean that's home to these wonderful animals and the endless history of this land that changed so much following that fateful day in 1770.

Fuji GFX100S with Pentax 645 28-45mm lens @ 31mm
StarTrailsFromFiles_DSF2006-2906_Step7sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr
Hey everyone - could I please get your opinion on something in relation to this picture? I have deliberately processed it to be dark in the whale/foreground, so give it a sleek, mysterious feel, almost as if the whale is wet. But one of my friends feels the picture would have more impact if it were slightly lighter. What do you guys think? Obviously we're going to get into different calibrations, viewing conditions, etc.!

GeorgeBo

Ed - I like it as you posted. Very moody. Like it was lit in the light of a full moon. I have spent many nights at sea when I used to do research work and that lighting is very familiar to me. It just “feels right” with the whale. My $.02 anyway 😀

Hey everyone - could I please get your opinion on something in relation to this picture? I have deliberately processed it to be dark in the whale/foreground, so give it a sleek, mysterious feel, almost as if the whale is wet. But one of my friends feels the picture would have more impact if it were slightly lighter. What do you guys think? Obviously we're going to get into different calibrations, viewing conditions, etc.!

jng

View attachment 194208
Bill,

Huh. It took my 1st generation 13" M1 MBP just over 20 minutes to stack 100 IQ4 150 tiff files in Helicon Focus. You're not by any chance an agent of Mr. Alighieri, are you?

P.S. Cool image!

John

dave.gt

Ed,

I love this! I would not change a thing, it is as perfect as possible IMHO.:):):)

anwarp

Hi Ed
I like the way it’s processed. The shine on the whales and low light gives the image a moonlit feel. Any lighter, and that mood would be broken.

Anwar

Abstraction

I think it's great the way it is. Any lighter and it would lose its impact.

Michiel Schierbeek

I like it as it is. It gives the right feeling of being dark, which it was I suppose. Still enough light to see it all though.

Ed Hurst

Thank you so much everyone for your kind help and opinions in response to my question. I do agree, since that is how I envisaged and processed the image; but it's good to have other perspectives 👍🏼🙏

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Bill,

Huh. It took my 1st generation 13" M1 MBP just over 20 minutes to stack 100 IQ4 150 tiff files in Helicon Focus. You're not by any chance an agent of Mr. Alighieri, are you?

P.S. Cool image!

John
Dante got me a long time ago and forces me to spread His Word!

• Love
Reactions: jng
Status
Not open for further replies.