The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Hurst

I've always stayed away from stacking teleconverters, or even using my 2x converter. My testing has shown me that anything more than a single 1.4x converter is inferior to simply using the 1.4x on its own and cropping.
BUT
Sometimes it's fun to try.
So I went crazy!
This is shot with GFX100S and Pentax 67 400mm EDIF lens with 67 1.4x converter AND 67 2x converter AND 645 1.4x converter stacked.
The loss of sharpness doesn't matter so much when it's foggy, so it seemed like a good moment to try it!

What you see on the hilltop is the Baháʼí temple in Ingleside (north of Sydney)

Ed Hurst

Ed, it would be interesting to see the 300mm shot cropped to the same size as the stacked TC shot. I too rarely use converters, but I used the same combination once: 67 2x and 1.4x along with a 645 1.4 for the transit of Venus in 2012 on the 67 500mm. A clear shot and one as the sun is setting on Lake Erie.
Tom

View attachment 194717View attachment 194718
Would you be interested in the comparison even though the one with the teleconverters used the 400mm lens while the non-teleconverted shot was the 300?

tsjanik

Would you be interested in the comparison even though the one with the teleconverters used the 400mm lens while the non-teleconverted shot was the 300?
Yes, I would be interested. I have always had misgivings about converters and would love to have evidence otherwise or not. When I acquired a 67 500mm and compared that to the 300mm M* EDIF with a 2x and a cropped version of the 300mm alone, I found the 500mm to be sharper than either, although with more CA (it has only four elements)

tcdeveau

Took the X1D and 35-75mm XCD out for a spin tonight. We’ve had unusually hot and hazy weather for this time of year - was hoping to maybe get lucky with some color at sunset but not so much. Still fun to get out and shoot even though the light wasn’t terribly inspiring.

B97E3575-3068-4B38-9A92-2B4A978BC554.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.