The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Hurst

Here's how the engine looked in 1988. It's the farther one, with NSU 57 in front.

View attachment 197825
And here's the steam engine that was there back then.
View attachment 197826
One of the abandoned stations
View attachment 197827
And a viaduct which may have rusted away by now. The Oodnadatta Track can be seen in the background.
View attachment 197828These were all taken on Fujichrome with a Rollei 6008 (if my memory serves me right!) "Scanned" using the 120 macro on my XF.
Great shots to see, Bill!

The diesel locos. look like they were at Maree. Is that right? There are still three of them there, by the way...

As for the steam loco., where did you see that? Alice Springs? She didn't originally operate on the Ghan, but was from Western Australia, by the way - only used in these parts in the preservation era.
She was used for a while, including in 1988 in Alice, but here's how she looks now (shots taken with Pentax 645Z with 6x7 55-100mm lens):

_IMG8521_FromRAW by Ed Hurst, on Flickr
_IMG8523_FromRAW by Ed Hurst, on Flickr

Greg Haag

Besides photography, my other hobby is fly fishing. I am building a pad for my airstream along side a great trout fishing river and its should be ready soon. This is a short stretch of 5 miles of tailwater, fishing is exceptional for four species of trout—brook, rainbow, cutthroat, and brown. I have found that I enjoy watching the wildlife more than fishing. This shot is from the top of the dead tree to the left of my airstream pad, it hung out there the entire time I was there checking on construction.

GFX100S 250mm
Eagle.jpg

GFX100S 23mm
river-4.jpg

GeorgeBo

Ok, first, great shot of the eagle. Second, as a fellow fly fisherman, put me down as 100% jealous 😄

Besides photography, my other hobby is fly fishing. I am building a pad for my airstream along side a great trout fishing river and its should be ready soon. This is a short stretch of 5 miles of tailwater, fishing is exceptional for four species of trout—brook, rainbow, cutthroat, and brown. I have found that I enjoy watching the wildlife more than fishing. This shot is from the top of the dead tree to the left of my airstream pad, it hung out there the entire time I was there checking on construction.

GFX100S 250mm
View attachment 197852

GFX100S 23mm
View attachment 197853

Greg Haag

Ok, first, great shot of the eagle. Second, as a fellow fly fisherman, put me down as 100% jealous 😄
Well if you find yourself in Arkansas, you are welcome to wade in! This 16 acres was bought back in the early 80's and had not been touched for at least 40 years, until I bought it last year. I had to walk in with a machete to even get back to the river. It has taken 15 months to get a road and utilities put in, I am finally about 2 weeks away from being at a stopping point. As a point of interest, a world-record German brown trout was caught on this short stretch of river in 1988 that weighed almost 39 pounds.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Great shots to see, Bill!

The diesel locos. look like they were at Maree. Is that right? There are still three of them there, by the way...

As for the steam loco., where did you see that? Alice Springs? She didn't originally operate on the Ghan, but was from Western Australia, by the way - only used in these parts in the preservation era.
She was used for a while, including in 1988 in Alice, but here's how she looks now (shots taken with Pentax 645Z with 6x7 55-100mm lens):

_IMG8521_FromRAW by Ed Hurst, on Flickr
_IMG8523_FromRAW by Ed Hurst, on Flickr
Yes, Ed, I think it was Maree and the engine was at AS. So I think was the coach with the Art Deco window.
Good to see 924 has survived - assume she is purely decorative?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I believe this shot was taken in one of the rail cars on display with the engines above, which were decorated in art nouveau style. But my wife says it was taken in an Australian pub....
Any Australians out there want to offer an opinion?View attachment 197829
So I found the window, though I got it the wrong way up! It's in the Old Ghan Railway Museum in Alice Springs.

Status
Not open for further replies.