The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

vjbelle

A dreamy sunset from White Planes. This was the last shot I took before calling it quits and it turned out to be the best. It had already started to turn to the Blue lighting time but was really quite dark. I had to clone out a couple of people that just happened to walk into the image but that was fairly easy. This really is sunset heaven for shooting along with lone Yuca which I will also post.

100s, Rody 90mm, Actus with about 3 degrees of tilt.

Victor B.

_DSF3620.jpg

vjbelle

A lone Yuca in an area where no one tracked so that there are no foot marks. These types of images along with sunsets are what I was looking for at White Sands. At this time of the year the sun is low enough that you can shoot almost all day. Lots of fun.....

Victor B.

_DSF3595.jpg

Last edited:

vjbelle

Last day at White Sands so I decided to walk in towards the mountains to see if I could find a good shot of the dunes. I walked about a mile which is very easy on the sand which stays fairly compact due to its ability to retain water. Found this spot where no one had walked or sled on..... a little too far the majority of visitors. It was stunning with the sun being low creating shadows and highlights on the sand. These dunes are the prettiest I have ever seen.

Shot with 100s, 110mm.

Victor B.

_DSF3719.jpg

Last edited:

pegelli

X2D + XCD 55V. Stunning sharpness and IQ. Anyone suggest good ways to sharpen for the web (I primarily use Lightroom Classic).
What I do that works well for me (but ymmv) is export from lightroom with "sharpen for screen" with amount "low", image size somewhere between 1200 and 2000 pixels long side.
Then create a layer copy in photoshop and do a Topaz Detail "deblur" (deconvolution sharpening) blur size 0.03 and then blend the two layers with somewhere between 30 and 50% opacity of the Topaz sharpened layer to taste (depends on the photo). An alternative that I used in the past (when I didn't have Topaz detail) is use Photoshop smart sharpen on a layer copy and again blend with the original layer with the opacity of the sharpened layer reduced to taste.
Some people recommend to use Unsharp Mask after reducing the size which can also look good, but personally I'm not a big fan of the halos that sometimes are created by USM

Hope this helps.

usm

USM should always applied after reducing the image size. For web I am happy with the sharpening from Phocus. Printing is another story.
Mostly one tend to over sharpen - less is more - special when using USM.

Have a nice day.
usm

ajayc

Thank you, Pieter 🙏. I was hoping to avoid PS and was wondering if there were secrets (or plugins) and do it all in Lightroom. I didn't pick up a camera in the last 5 years or so and slowly remembering my LR (and reluctantly PS) skills.

What I do that works well for me (but ymmv) is export from lightroom with "sharpen for screen" with amount "low", image size somewhere between 1200 and 2000 pixels long side.
Then create a layer copy in photoshop and do a Topaz Detail "deblur" (deconvolution sharpening) blur size 0.03 and then blend the two layers with somewhere between 30 and 50% opacity of the Topaz sharpened layer to taste (depends on the photo). An alternative that I used in the past (when I didn't have Topaz detail) is use Photoshop smart sharpen on a layer copy and again blend with the original layer with the opacity of the sharpened layer reduced to taste.
Some people recommend to use Unsharp Mask after reducing the size which can also look good, but personally I'm not a big fan of the halos that sometimes are created by USM

Hope this helps.

Pieter 12

Not to start an aesthetic argument, but that's the point. They are not easily recognizable and don't really add anything to the shot. Especially when taken into context with the others that are pristine and single-focused on the light and the architectural lines and forms. A large bird flying across the image might be something to leave in.

P. Chong

Meanwhile, at Ryuzu no Take in Nikko Japan, the fall colours have yet to appear. Still many spots of green in this waterfall which is reputed to be the most beautiful in all Japan. Photographed last week with GFX 50S II _ Hasselblad HCD 4/28. I photographed from this very same spot some 11 years ago, about mid-November, and the fall colours were righ yellows, reds and little green left. I guess the global warming delayed winter.

ryuzu.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.