The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Hurst

Last July, I visited Cockatoo Island and posted some pictures with this intro.. Apologies for repeating it, but the context may be helpful for some.

"Situated in Sydney Harbour at the junction of the Lane Cove and Parramatta Rivers, Cockatoo Island is a fascinating place. These days, it's a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was once heavily-vegetated, and Indigenous Australians called it Wa-rea-mah. It was used in the first half of the nineteenth century as a convict penal establishment - mainly to dispense punishment to convicts who had re-offended in the colonies. After that, it was used as one of Australia's largest shipyards, only ceasing operations in 1991. What remains is remarkably in tact - hence its significance to UNESCO. Wandering around really is a wonderful experience. It's accessible by ferry but never seems to be busy. It's almost a hidden gem in a bustling city - a bit of a time warp.

As part of this, a preservation group has restored a couple of steam-powered cranes and occasionally operates them for demonstration purposes. This one was built by Priestman's of Hull (in the UK) in the 1890s and is powered by a vertical boiler. Amazingly, it remained in frequent use until the late 1980s. Operated by a driver and two riggers, it played a vital role in the operation of Fitzroy Dock, moving along rails to assist with the maintenance of ships. It was also used to tow ships into dock."

The last shots were daylight images, showing this crane in steam. This time, I visited by night and got her with stars overhead. I actually pulled two all-nighters there, so will be posting more images when I get the time!

Fuji GFX100S with Pentax 645 28-45mm lens at circa 33mm

StarTrailsFromFiles_DSF5522-6928_Step9sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr

tsjanik

This image shows the edge of an undisturbed forest (formerly Nature Conservancy, now NY State land), that contains an amazing assortment of trees in close proximity - ash, sycamore, maple, black walnut, oak, etc. I like the tapestry-like impression it conveys and the fading color of late fall. I am preparing this for sale at a local art show and would appreciate any feedback. Too much vibrance, crop, too hectic, etc. ? I may not follow the advice :), but would love to hear from this dedicated group of photographers. Tom 645Z, 150-300mm_IMG5362-Recovered-Recovered copy 2.jpggg

tsjanik

What size will the image have and what kind of frame ? ? ?
A wooden frame of course :). I have a frame that will accept 13x19 inch paper, so that will be my first attempt. I want strong colors, so may avoid matt paper. This image might lend itself to canvas; perhaps 24x40 in. Unfortunately, my framer just retired, so that's a complication.

Ed Hurst

This image shows the edge of an undisturbed forest (formerly Nature Conservancy, now NY State land), that contains an amazing assortment of trees in close proximity - ash, sycamore, maple, black walnut, oak, etc. I like the tapestry-like impression it conveys and the fading color of late fall. I am preparing this for sale at a local art show and would appreciate any feedback. Too much vibrance, crop, too hectic, etc. ? I may not follow the advice :), but would love to hear from this dedicated group of photographers. Tom 645Z, 150-300mmView attachment 201266gg
I absolutely love the image - the colours, the tones, the composition, the mood, the textures. Not too hectic at all for me. The only thing I find distracting is the area on the bottom edge of the picture, where you can see some russet foreground (mainly left-of-centre) that's neither quite in the picture nor excluded. It makes me look there for a foreground (which isn't there) rather than the main parts of the image. If you can crop (or otherwise sort out) that area it would, to me, make an already superb image even better.

Hope that helps!

Ed

Last edited:

tsjanik

Thank you Ed. Excellent observation, I will try a crop or a clone from the left portion.
Ordinarily, I would have included some foreground, but the trees face a vineyard and I could not(short of getting a ladder) exclude the tops of the vines. Thanks again.

SwissBear

beautiful pictures indeed.

i just got an job offer and i will move to switzerland in april/may, hope i can also contribute to promote the beauty of switzerland as well
Thank you :). Congrats on your job. Switzerland is a beautiful country indeed, hope you will love it. Don't forget your hiking shoes ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.