The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

D&A

Love your photo "above" Michiel! So much appears to be going on and most of all, all the geometric shapes compressed (due to focal length of lens used) and appear to be competing with one another. On a sepeate note (and as Ed noted)….. I'm all for sharpness in a lens but often times older glass has a wonderful attribute and balance of having both a loving way of drawing an image with just enough acuity for recording detail without the hyper realism sometimes seen in current modern optics. Each has its place of course.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

Love your photo "above" Michiel! So much appears to be going on and most of all, all the geometric shapes compressed (due to focal length of lens used and appear to be competing with one another. On a sepeate note (and as Ed noted)….. I'm all for sharpness in a lens but often times older glass has a wonderful attribute and balance of having both a loving way of drawing an image with just enough acuity for recording detail without the hyper realism sometimes seen in current modern optics. Each has its place of course.

Dave (D&A)
The A 150 with extensible hood and so small! ( The 645Z compensates for that :) )

D&A

The A 150 with extensible hood and so small! ( The 645Z compensates for that :) )
Michiel, although I am a fan of optical viewfinders, I've often wondered how wonderful it would be if Pentax also offered a small(er), lighter mirrorless 645 digital body. With the very compact "A" or D FA 35mm f3.5, the diminutive FA 75 f2.8 and the incredible lightweight (almost as if they forgot to put elements inside) "A" or FA 150mm f2.8 lenses (all using a small adapter to address lens flange to sensor plane distance)....Pentax would have a compact and extremely lightweight 645 digital system that would compete well against other medium format lightweight systems. Has Pentax even contemplated this?

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

dj may

It has become obvious that Covid-19 has disrupted the lives of people everywhere. The three things that present normalcy for many people are work, play and love.

Consequently, I have produced a new collection, “Work, Play, Love.”

"Work, Play, Love" consists of images from around the world, made with various photographic technologies and methods, including large format film, medium format film, 35mm film, full format digital and medium format digital.

The image below was done with Leica S and Super-Elmar-S 24, stitched.

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel, although I am a fan of optical viewfinders, I've often wondered how wonderful it would be if Pentax also offered a small(er), lighter mirrorless 645 digital body. With the very compact "A" or D FA 35mm f3.5, the diminutive FA 75 f2.8 and the incredible lightweight (almost as if they forgot to put elements inside) "A" or FA 150mm f2.8 lenses (all using a small adapter to address lens flange to sensor plane distance)....Pentax would have a compact and extremely lightweight 645 digital system that would compete well against other medium format lightweight systems. Has Pentax even contemplated this?

Dave (D&A)
It would be nice Dave, but there are no signs in sight for this. Although I am still quiet happy with what I have, I must say Ricoh/Pentax is a slow moving company.
I don't see e new MF or mirrorless camera in the near future by them as long there is no sensor upgrade available. I think Sony's 100 MP sensor is probably not that easy to use without IS lenses in an optical viewfinder camera.
Well, I am no tecnician.

D&A

It would be nice Dave, but there are no signs in sight for this. Although I am still quiet happy with what I have, I must say Ricoh/Pentax is a slow moving company.
I don't see e new MF or mirrorless camera in the near future by them as long there is no sensor upgrade available. I think Sony's 100 MP sensor is probably not that easy to use without IS lenses in an optical viewfinder camera.
Well, I am no tecnician.
Michael, I'm in complete agreement with you regarding the slowness of Pentax/Ricoh to move forward. This is especially true with the uncertainty of consumer goods in the Covid era. One thing that I have in the back of my mind, was Pentax surprised many when they updated the 645D to 645Z. It was announced with little pre release leaks or knowledge and Pentax does have a history of springing some products with unexpected announcements, including some notable ones. Their management team keeps saying they believe the market (especially Pentax users), still prefer optical viewfinders...so whether that's a roadmap to future cameras or an interm plan until a mirrorless 645 camera is ready, it's hard to know.

I would also hazard a guess that if they were to spring a mirrorless 645 camera unexpectedly in the near future, it might retain the 50 MP sensor, since it's tried and true and cost effective for them and the consumer at this time. Guess we'll have to all wait and see and hope.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

tsjanik

Dave (D&A)
Dave:

You can do this already with GFX 50R. The adapter adds about 1 3/4" or 43mm to the lens. I have compared the Z to the R with the 75mm; the overall size and shape is very similar. In my mind, there is no useful size advantage to the Fuji when using adopted SLR lenses. There is a weight advantage (1980 vs. 1531g with the 75mm), i.e., the Fuji is about 1 pound lighter, but you give up the optical finder and AF. If Pentax wanted to produce a truly compact mirrorless system they would need a new line of lenses which seems unlikely. Pentax has stated their customer base is loyal to OVF and I agree, I much prefer the optical for a host of reasons. My wish for a Z replacement is for electronic shutter option and a larger sensor to utilize the unused portion of the image circle. Dream on :)

Tom

D&A

Dave:

You can do this already with GFX 50R. The adapter adds about 1 3/4" or 43mm to the lens. I have compared the Z to the R with the 75mm; the overall size and shape is very similar. In my mind, there is no useful size advantage to the Fuji when using adopted SLR lenses. There is a weight advantage (1980 vs. 1531g with the 75mm), i.e., the Fuji is about 1 pound lighter, but you give up the optical finder and AF. If Pentax wanted to produce a truly compact mirrorless system they would need a new line of lenses which seems unlikely. Pentax has stated their customer base is loyal to OVF and I agree, I much prefer the optical for a host of reasons. My wish for a Z replacement is for electronic shutter option and a larger sensor to utilize the unused portion of the image circle. Dream on :)

Tom
Tom, prior to the pandemic, I had been meaning to write you regarding your experiences with your Fuji in conjunction with adopted Pentax 645 lenses. I had assumed size wise there wouldn't have been a distinct advantage and weight wise, maybe reduction of a bit of weight....but as you say, giving up a beautiful OVF and AF in the process. I came to the conclusion that it probably wouldn't have been worth it. Just an aside, if I did go with a Fuji body, it would have been the 50R. I still believe that Pentax with their long history of miniaturizing cameras within a given genre (think Pentax MX, ME among many others)...that Pentax might strive for a extremely small (relative) EVF based mirrorless 645 body based on the 50MP sensor. That could then leave the basic 645D/Z OVF body for a future higher MP OVF variant. Initially a Pentax adapter would be made available to use current legacy and/or D-FA/DA lenses in AF mode with the mirrorless body, still resulting in a smaller size and weight system compared to the 645D/Z body. I know highly unlikely but Pentax has been known to surprise users on more than one occasion. Don't get me wrong, I prize the OVF....but for certain traveling situation (ie: cycling or where packing light is a requirement), a small EVF 645 might fit the bill.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

tsjanik

Tom, prior to the pandemic, I had been meaning to write you regarding your experiences with your Fuji in conjunction with adopted Pentax 645 lenses. I had assumed size wise there wouldn't have been a distinct advantage and weight wise, maybe reduction of a bit of weight....but as you say, giving up a beautiful OVF and AF in the process. I came to the conclusion that it probably wouldn't have been worth it. Just an aside, if I did go with a Fuji body, it would have been the 50R. I still believe that Pentax with their long history of miniaturizing cameras within a given genre (think Pentax MX, ME among many others)...that Pentax might strive for a extremely small (relative) EVF based mirrorless 645 body based on the 50MP sensor. That could then leave the basic 645D/Z OVF body for a future higher MP OVF variant. Initially a Pentax adapter would be made available to use current legacy and/or D-FA/DA lenses in AF mode with the mirrorless body, still resulting in a smaller size and weight system compared to the 645D/Z body. I know highly unlikely but Pentax has been known to surprise users on more than one occasion. Don't get me wrong, I prize the OVF....but for certain traveling situation (ie: cycling or where packing light is a requirement), a small EVF 645 might fit the bill.

Dave (D&A)
Dave, they work fine. The advantages of the Fuji include: the weight; EFSC, which is invaluable for macro and especially the 600mm (you may remember a convoluted mount I built to stabilize that lens from shutter shake); tilt-shift is possible, in particular with the 67 lenses. In all other aspects, I prefer the 645Z. You and I remember the old Pentax, before all the acquistions. Yes their old lenses are very compact, such as those you mentioned. I will also note the 645 400mm FA f/5.6 is the same weight as the Canon 400mm f/5.6 for full frame, yet the image circle covers full 645. In the later lenses, Ricoh seems to have abandoned the small and light approach for big is beautiful, reaching its zenith in the 28-45mm, which I can barely grasp and don't enjoy carrying.

Tom

Last edited:

SahotaR

Good morning,

I dipped my toes into MF about 4 years ago with a P25 back on DF, for 'my' photos.
Really liked what P25 was capable of even today and resulting stunning images.
I am double minded about selling the P25 and DF+, still like to keep it.

As most of my work is with people, in the slow Covid time I decided to buy Fujifilm 50s along with 45, 63 and 110 lenses.
So far very happy with the results, here is the one with first outing with 50s + 45mm about 2 weeks ago.
Most of the paid work was done with Nikons, but hopefully it will change now.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Yep, still stuck in the apartment.

First, experimenting with long exposure: 4 min, 10 stop, 23 mm, GFX 100.

And then my daughter decided to make bread. The dough rising in its bowl looked interesting. 50 mm, that great all purpose "tiny" lens. Preferred Silver Efex again. I can't make a habit of that!

Matt

Last edited:

Grayhand

903SWC CFV50C

A sunset from this week, on my favorite island.

i realize I gave my digital back the wrong designation in my last post..
But, as always,what I say is never as important as what I mean!

Ray

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.