The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

drevil

Staff member

Autumn has arrived in Beijing, we faced fierce wind that morning, but that wind blew away all the pollution and we had nice cloudscapes.
And those autumn colors were beathtaking, especially through my polarized sun glasses :giggle:

all images, gfx100 with gf30 and contax 645 120mm

pegelli

Experimenting with a candle 1 minute exposure at F9.5, ISO 100. Improvement advice would be greatly appreciated.
I think technically there's not much wrong with this photo, but for my taste there's too much undefined negative space (with some undefined dark shapes in it) on the right and I find the white balance too warm. Given the mood you obviously don't want to create a "neutral" white balance but somewhat less warm would suit my taste better. Both comments are very subjective of course.

spb

Staff member
Pieter thanks for the comments I agree on the 'somewhat less warm'. I have to look at the rest. This was my first experiment with a long (to me exposure' of 1 minute.

Your Fort du Flemalle, Belgium images are really good captured the essense ofa historic site outside and in.

pegelli

Your Fort du Flemalle, Belgium images are really good captured the essense ofa historic site outside and in.
Thanks for the comment Stephen but I would like to ask where you saw these since I didn't share them on GetDPI yet, did you visit my SmugMug or are you also watching on Dyxum?

spb

Staff member
Pieter, Smugmug, I saw a link at bottom of your post which said 'My pics', I clicked that and went straight to Smugmug and your images.

Last edited:

Craig Stocks

Another view through my telescope; this is the Western Veil Nebula shown in inverted B&W. I like the way the inverted view really highlights the delicate filaments of gas and dust. The Western Veil Nebula is the remnant of a supernova explosion thousands of years ago. It sits about 1,470 light years away and spans a radius of 50 light years. This was taken with my IQ4150 attached using a Cambo body and Canon EOS lens board to my SkyWatcher Quattro 8" reflector (f/3.9) using 7 minute exposures at ISO 1600, 13 frames stacked and averaged to reduce noise.
Veil Nebula 10-10-2020 - 13 subs-2.jpg

Last edited:

Godfrey

Another view through my telescope; this is the Western Veil Nebula shown in inverted B&W. I like the way the inverted view really highlights the delicate filaments of gas and dust. The Western Veil Nebula is the remnant of a supernova explosion thousands of years ago. It sits about 1,470 light years away and spans a radius of 50 light years. This was taken with my IQ4150 attached using a Cambo body and Canon EOS lens board to my SkyWatcher Quattro 8" refractor (f/3.9) using 7 minute exposures at ISO 1600, 13 frames stacked and averaged to reduce noise.
View attachment 177252
Very nice!

I imagine it's a bit challenging to bring up those gaseous filaments and structures in the positive image. The inverted image gives an interestingly different take on the notion of a star field too.

G

Ed Hurst

Running between Brooklyn and Mooney Mooney in NSW, these bridges serve roads from very different eras - though in fact are less than 30 years apart in age.
The older bridge (Peats Ferry Bridge) carries the Old Pacific Highway (B83) and dates back to 1945, when a ferry stopped operating. The modern bridge (Hawkesbury River Road Bridge) carries the Pacific Motorway (M1) and was opened in 1973

Getting to this position was slightly hairy. I had to scramble down a loose bank, covered in vegetation, all the time wondering if I as going to have a snake encounter (which are very active just now). Then I had to sit in the same conditions for a couple of hours in order to do the shot. Not just that, but there was literally nowhere level or regular, so I had to set the tripod up in a rather higgledy-piggledy way and hope it didn't topple into the deep, fast-flowing river (it didn't); I couldn't stand very close, in order to be ready to catch it, because then I would have been shaking the rocks on which it was perched, so had to position it and hope. Then there wasn't really anywhere I could sit without tensing leg/back muscles to keep myself steady; I didn't fancy negotiating that bank more often than necessary, so going back to the car while the camera did its work wasn't an option, and in any case, I wanted to stay and see it hadn't fallen into the river. So I stayed on those rocks, half standing and half sitting, counting the minutes. All in all, rather a trying experience!

Pentax 645Z with 25mm f4 DA lens50476479958_c2b186cd92_b.jpg

Ed Hurst

Long Jetty is a place in New South Wales that certainly lives up to its name! Situated on Tuggerah Lake, the jetty here was built to enable ferries to call despite the very shallow waters extending a long way into the lake... Those ferries are now history, but thankfully (despite needing to be rebuilt more than once) the jetty is not!

Pentax 645Z with 25mm f4 DA lens

50475068153_8efd72ddbc_b.jpg

Last edited:

Grayhand

903SWC CFV50c

It is one of those sunsets at the sea where you stand with a slight feeling of dissatisfaction.
Not enough color, not enough waves, not enough, well something..

But then you look at the other side of the bay and think about the other, hypothetical photographer, under that epic downpour of rain.
Saying to yourself "Better you than me".
And suddenly all feels ok again!

Ray

spb

Staff member
903SWC CFV50c
It is one of those sunsets at the sea where you stand with a slight feeling of dissatisfaction.
Not enough color, not enough waves, not enough, well something..

But then you look at the other side of the bay and think about the other, hypothetical photographer, under that epic downpour of rain.
Saying to yourself "Better you than me".
And suddenly all feels ok again!

Ray
A touch, just a smidgen more light might give it the zap you search in my opinion.

Craig Stocks

Yet another astrophoto taken with the IQ4150, this time featuring the Rosette Nebula. The final image is composed of an averaged stack of 20 5-minute long exposures at ISO 800 plus 5 2-minute exposures to better pick up the star color. Processed in Capture One and Photoshop, cropped and finished in Lightroom.

Rosette Nebula 20 5-min subs plus 5 stars 10-14-2020.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.