The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images 2021

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Big Creek in B&W. Playing around first with my new Acros film style for C1, then with the new Dodge, Burn, Contrast, Shadow and Highlight style brushes -- very powerful post editing tools, especially when used on layers. This was a simple snap of a local creek, but one with a lot of different areas to experiment with the new tools on. feedback welcome.

Nikon Z7ii, 35/1.8S at f8, ISO 64

Last edited:

D&A

Darin Wrote---->>>>" It's beginning to look a lot like springtime..."<<<<----

It certainly is!!

Early Springtime Cherry Blossom Tree. Washington D.C.

Nikon D700; Tamron 28-75mm

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
From today's walk -- and yes, I want to buy it! LOL

The more I use the little Lensbaby Burnside 35 Petzval, the more I like it. It is as sharp centrally as any modern lens, but has a classic Petzval fall-off blur and swirl in the oof background areas. This one was at f5.6. The vintage Bug screamed sepia to me, so that's what it got -- and ironically not too far its actual color; beige with brown fenders. Processed in C1:

Lensbaby Burnside 35 "Petzval" at f5.6

Darin Marcus

Daren Wrote---->>>>" It's beginning to look a lot like springtime..."<<<<----

It certainly is!!

Early Springtime Cherry Blossom Tree. Washington D.C.

Nikon D700; Tamron 28-75mm
Looks good Dave!

We decided to skip the National Cherry Blossom this year (just like we did last year). We still tried to take a look from the car while driving around Tidal Basin, but the section between it and the Potomac was closed to traffic, and we had to cross back into Virginia. It seemed nice though (end of March).
We managed to visit the Meadowlark Botanical Gardens a couple of times this past week, and we will try to go to the Virginia Arboretum next week.

Reactions: D&A

D&A

Looks good Dave!

We decided to skip the National Cherry Blossom this year (just like we did last year). We still tried to take a look from the car while driving around Tidal Basin, but the section between it and the Potomac was closed to traffic, and we had to cross back into Virginia. It seemed nice though (end of March).
We managed to visit the Meadowlark Botanical Gardens a couple of times this past week, and we will try to go to the Virginia Arboretum next week.
Hi Darin...thanks ever so much. Yes, getting down to the Tidal Basin & National Cherry Blossom Trees in Washington D.C. was a bit of a nightmare this year, with all the road closures as you mentioned due to both security as well as pandemic health concerns of possible crowd sizes. It required a combination of metro and being on foot. I will say the trees & blooms this year were some of the best of recent memory as I tried capturing them a bit differently this year, similar to the image I posted on page 29 (post # 563) in "Fun with Medium Format" . (link to page below):

(42) Fun with MF images 2021 | Page 29 | The GetDPI Photography Forum

The peak this year having been reached last Wednesday. The nice thing is there is always next year (and thereafter).

It's been quite a few "Spring's" since I was last at Meadowlark Gardens, so I would love to hear about (and see) of your visit. I recall its quite lovely at around this time of year. I don't know if I've ever been to the Virginia Arboretum. I've been to the National Arboretum though . Have to look that one up and learn more about it. Sounds like nice plans, enjoy!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Darin Marcus

Hi Darin...thanks ever so much. Yes, getting down to the Tidal Basin & National Cherry Blossom Trees in Washington D.C. was a bit of a nightmare this year, with all the road closures as you mentioned due to both security as well as pandemic health concerns of possible crowd sizes. It required a combination of metro and being on foot. I will say the trees & blooms this year were some of the best of recent memory as I tried capturing them a bit differently this year, similar to the image I posted on page 29 (post # 563) in "Fun with Medium Format" . The peak this year having been reached last Wednesday. The nice thing is there is always next year (and thereafter).
Yes, I saw and liked the cherry blossom photos you posted in that thread!

It's been quite a few "Spring's" since I was last at Meadowlark Gardens, so I would love to hear about (and see) of your visit. I recall its quite lovely at around this time of year.
It was as nice as always. I will try to post a few more photos during the following days.
The blossom time is over now - the daffodils and tulips are taking over :)

I don't know if I've ever been to the Virginia Arboretum. I've been to the National Arboretum though . Have to look that one up and learn more about it. Sounds like nice plans, enjoy!
Its official name is the State Arboretum of Virginia (https://blandy.virginia.edu). It is a research facility associated with the University of Virginia, also open to the public. It is a bit of a longer drive West from the DC area, off Route 50, past Aldie, Middleburg and Upperville. It has a little bit of everything for everyone, including a Lebanon Cedars Alley - https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?threads/share-your-tree-photos.15561/page-12#post-782733

I visited the National Arboretum in DC once, a long time ago (when the D700 was new...). I loved their Bonsai exhibit - https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?threads/share-your-tree-photos.15561/page-8#post-780220

Reactions: D&A

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
One of the original two old ranch homes that sold off parcels of their orchards that my neighborhood was built on. The lots were parcelled out in the early 1950's, I believe these homes were originally built in the early 1920's. It was in the family for I think three generations, the final grandson heir passed away a couple years ago and the dilapidated house fell into complete ruin. It's been sold and will be torn down in the next several weeks. My guess is 2 brand new homes will occupy the current lot it sits on.

Nikon Z72, 35mm Lensbaby Burnside Petzval @ f5.6

D&A

Coloration looks like male Anhinga
Thank you! From the link you provided, that looks exactly what it probably is, especially that the link's image is from Florida. So many interesting species of birds in South Florida that I've never seen up north. Appreciate the info and identification!

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Yes, I saw and liked the cherry blossom photos you posted in that thread!

It was as nice as always. I will try to post a few more photos during the following days.
The blossom time is over now - the daffodils and tulips are taking over :)

Its official name is the State Arboretum of Virginia (https://blandy.virginia.edu). It is a research facility associated with the University of Virginia, also open to the public. It is a bit of a longer drive West from the DC area, off Route 50, past Aldie, Middleburg and Upperville. It has a little bit of everything for everyone, including a Lebanon Cedars Alley - https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?threads/share-your-tree-photos.15561/page-12#post-782733

I visited the National Arboretum in DC once, a long time ago (when the D700 was new...). I loved their Bonsai exhibit - https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?threads/share-your-tree-photos.15561/page-8#post-780220
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for all the info Darin and looking forward to your images from Meadowlark. I have an affinity for Bonsai trees and looked at your lovely image. I never knew there was a State of Va. Arboretum. I'll have to visit it. I'm very familiar with Route 50, Aldie and especially Middleburg.

For those reading this, Middleburg Virginia is approx 40 miles/minutes west of Washington D.C., a small historic older town with many stately homes and a main street & village that's popular in the warm months with locals and tourists. It's in the middle of hunt & horse country and also popular with passing thru cyclists and old car restorers and classic car enthusiasts out for a drive. In some ways, the town reminds me a little bit of Carmel Calif. To think that maybe 15-20 years ago Disney was well into the planning stage for a Disney Land amusement park basically smack dab in the middle of this beautiful countryside, complete with a metro rail and bus lines. It's theme was to be "Americana" due to the proximity to Washington D.C. To say there was a local uproar, was an understatement and eventually Disney backed out of their plans.

For those interested in a few pictures of Middleburg, I've just posted some images in the "Fun with Digital M Images" Leica forum (link to the page below):

(42) Fun w/digital M Images 2021 | Page 2 | The GetDPI Photography Forum

Dave (D&A)

Last edited: