The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images 2021

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Took delivery of the 24-200 Z lens today. To be completely honest, I did not have very high expectations, but was curious about it as an all-around travel lens... After a short walkaround with it this morning, I have to admit I am more impressed than I thought I'd be. It is quite sharp in the middle ranges even wide open, and while what I'd call biting sharpness wanes a bit at both ends wide open, sharpness remains impressively good considering its range. Moreover, I was highly impressed with it's MFD -- around 20 inches or 50cm, which allows for some fairly tight close-ups at the tele end -- and the optical performance remains pretty impressive. Color cast seems essentially identical to my other Z lenses which is a welcome convenience. Finally it's quite compact, of course the one benefit to its rather slow optical speed. But with excellent VR and today's Z cam high ISO capabilities, I don't think that optical slowness is going to be a significant limiting factor for casual imaging. I will point out however, that it falls from f4 to f6.3 rather quickly in the zoom range -- at 35mm it's at f4.8, at 50mm it's already at f5.6, f6 at 70mm and somewhere around 85mm it hits the f6.3 mark. So the one thing this lens wont be doing is isolating backgrounds very much... Anyway, all the aperture limited nits aside I come away for now feeling it's a pretty remarkable and extremely versatile casual/travel/walkaround lens. Verdict is still out, but it may prove to be good enough I will eventually let go of the excellent little Z 24-70/4S lens since I have a few faster primes in that range...

A couple quick snaps, of course all were hand-held:

This rose was taken at pretty close to the MFD of the lens. The bud itself is about 2-½" (10cm) tall from base to tip to give you an idea of the framing capability:

Hi Jack,

what is actually your final conclusion so far on the 24-200S ?

I am interested in one just for occasional and holiday shooting where I do not want to carry much size and weight but can get great IQ at the same time.

Will the 24-200S deliver?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Pretty happy overall. I am doing just fine with the limited DoF -- if you think of it as an "f8 and be there do-it-all" lens, it's really hard to beat! End of day, I probably will sell my 24-70/4 as this lens is pretty much left on the camera all the time ;)

Darin Marcus

While I do not plan to buy any of the newly announced Nikkor Z pancakes/muffins, I did own a pancake once:

Nikon D700, Voigtländer Ultron 40mm f/2 SL-II, 1/125sec, f/4, ISO 400 (December 2012)

It was a very nice lens, very sharp, with a closeup add-on, but a bit small for my hands, especially on the D700 (I bought it when I had the D40). Since it was a manual focus lens with a focus ring too small for my fingers, I did not use it very often, and I sold it before buying the 60mm f/2.8G.

The Nikkor Z 40mm f/2 is bigger and would thus be much better for my fingers, if I wanted to buy such a lens...

ashandger

Another familiar image from a shoot several weeks back, but I finally had some free time to properly edit it in PS with a good luminosity mask. This type of editing power is the main reason I keep PS on my system as selected masking in C1 is not yet up to the capability of what's available in PS. This is all from one file still output from C1, but then some masks generated in PS for appropriate edits to enhance the detail and color present but not very visible in the C1 conversion.

Hello Jack, love the colours you managed to get in this image. Guessing you processed the RAW file in Capture 1 only and did not use Nikon software? I suspect this image may well look wonderful in B&W as well. Many thanks for sharing. Giving me lots to think about.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hello Jack, love the colours you managed to get in this image. Guessing you processed the RAW file in Capture 1 only and did not use Nikon software? I suspect this image may well look wonderful in B&W as well. Many thanks for sharing. Giving me lots to think about.
Yessir, processed fully via C1 for all base colors, but did do a luminosity mask in PS to more carefully adjust contrast in the sky -- so in all fairness, it was a 2-step process, C1 main, to PS for selective enhancement, then output as what you see here.

ashandger

Yessir, processed fully via C1 for all base colors, but did do a luminosity mask in PS to more carefully adjust contrast in the sky -- so in all fairness, it was a 2-step process, C1 main, to PS for selective enhancement, then output as what you see here.
That's wonderful feedback Jack. Many thanks for sharing this info.