The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorkil

Firstly, I think the new 20/1.8 S lens is STELLAR, and a "must have" for anybody wanting to do astro imaging.

That said, I have my own personal nit with the 20 and that's only that it isn't quite wide enough ;) Wider primes, meaning every rectilinear lens wider than 28mm, distorts corner geometry visibly at an increasing pace. By 20mm I find it prevalent enough to be a distraction for most of my uses. OTOH, 24's seem to escape this for most of my subjects. My only point here is that I really wish Nikon would make a good 17 or 18mm prime --- for me, as long as I'm going to go wide enough to have visible linear distortions, I would like to go just that little bit wider than 20.

/rant
YES a 17 or 18mm S would be nice indeed

darr

Nikon D200 + 18-200mm

from: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/old-ford-truck-collection

HEADING DOWN HWY 319 NEAR Medart, Florida, there is a collection of old Ford trucks.

Rusty and overgrown with vines and grass, they are lined up neatly on the right side of the road. Anyone who knows their Fords will notice that they’re even lined up in chronological order, dating from the early 1900’s to the mid-70’s. The trucks are an unusual worse-for-wear site on the scenic byway, but their apocalyptic charm attracts more photographers than any of the natural scenery. Where did they come from?

Placed here by Pat Harvey, they had all been used on the nearby Harvey family farm. They aren’t deserted—Pat loves the old buckets of rust, and has memories to share about each and every one. Originally owned by Pat’s dad and used for parts, the trucks and the land they’re on now belong to Pat, who lined them up by year just to see what they looked like in the correct order.

Torn between junk and art, the trucks are in questionable standing. While Pat enjoys sharing his beloved vehicles, vandals do occasionally have their way with them, and the city has an ordinance regarding too many junked cars in one place—even photogenic, neatly ordered ones. So far these issues haven’t been pressing enough for Pat Harvey to take any sort of action to remove them. The community and photographers enjoy their rugged charm and appreciate the automotive display that’s not quite a collection, and not quite a wreck.
--

They are no longer there ... gone for good!
The family sold the property to the county and a new roadway was built with more lanes.
Joni Mitchell's song "Big Yellow Taxi" plays on in my head whenever I go down that way now.
There were many more vehicles on the property, not just trucks.

paladin

gargling with liquid nitrogen
keeps the teeth sparkling white
Rutgers physics prof Mark Croft giving a demo of things not to do at the annual Faraday lecture that is generally done every year i was asked to make memories.DS3_9222_DxO-X2.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.