The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
These just popped open in our garden. Z7 with 70-300 AF-P lens with a 1.8 2-element close-up diopter. Processed in C1.

First one appeared so sharp I had to dial in a minus 50 on clarity to get a softer effect I was looking for. Also a side note that it appears sRGB cannot hold the low red gamut present in this rose, so a bit of color posterization occurred when converting for web:

Second one w/ same outfit, but processed essentially as shot:

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Screwing around with adapters for Canon lenses on my Nikon Z7. This one is a Canon 24mm EFS APS-C crop Pancake mounted on my Z7 via an Altson adapter. This adapter takes both FX EF and Crop EFS lenses and I had good success with Canon's 40mm STM pancake on it, so decided to see what the tiny crop lens would do. Surprisingly, CaptureOne recognized I was using that lens even though it was a crop lens on a FF camera over an adapter, and auto-applied the appropriate correction for its barrel distortion(!) I was shooting in square capture mode which *just barely* eliminates the crop lens' vignette. While it isn't the best 24mm in the extreme corner, it is sharper than it should be edge-to-edge, even wide open.

Some of you are wondering why bother and I get that. But in this case I am bored with covid lockdown and this was an inexpensive experiment just for fun -- this lens cost me a little over $100 US and the adapter was under $100 on Amazon. The lens is tiny and I actually like the look it renders, so will likely keep it -- which surprised even me LOL. This is just a grab capture from my daily walk, f8, processed in C1 to split-tone mono with a 1-stop vignette added:

Nikon Z7 in square capture mode (~30MP), Canon 24mm EFS crop Pancake lens, C1

Thorkil

In keeping with today's current theme "Birds".....

"Up Up & Away". South Florida.

Nikon Df; Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6

Dave (D&A)

nice to see, and everytime, the soft way of rendering from the spectacular Df/D4 sensor
thorkil

Reactions: D&A

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'm no expert, but I think it's more likely a Sharp-Shinned Hawk. IDK where the territory was though...

D

Deleted member 7792

I am quite naive when it comes to bird species but this to my untrained eye looks like an eagle. Regardless, wonderful capture!

Dave (D&A)
I'm no expert, but I think it's more likely a Sharp-Shinned Hawk. IDK where the territory was though...
It indeed is a well-fed hawk. They keep our squirrel population in check. We're in central North Carolina and have few eagles in this area. Hawks are plentiful. Occasionally one lands on the deck rail just outside the kitchen window.

Joe

Reactions: D&A

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Joe, that's certainly within the sharp shinned territory -- is he about the size of a large blue jay? If so, I am doubling down on a sharp-shinned LOL

D

Deleted member 7792

Red-shouldered hawk, bigger than a crow and smaller than a goose. Much bigger than a large blue jay. This one was an adult and appeared to have gained a few pounds during the pandemic, like the rest of us.

Colson_210109_DSC_0641-Edit-FrameShop.jpg

I was particularly impressed with the performance of the Z 70-200mm + TC. Fast and quiet AF, bright image in EVF, IBIS + VR worked very well. I've owned several versions of the F-mount 70-200mm VR lens over the years, and this lens beats 'em all, IMHO.

Joe

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
And then a few minutes later I see this old Ford and combine. Hard to believe I'm only a couple hundred feet from the Interstate.

All Z7 with 24-70/4, again just quickly processed on my laptop in C1:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.