The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with "Obsolete" Nikons

dave.gt

Months ago, I contemplated a compilation of images using the lowly, forgotten Nikon cameras that are considered beneath the dignity of contemporary users. Contemptuous comments like "Don't live in the past" ensued, among others.

Most of my many thousands of images with the “obsolete” cameras are in CD storage or elsewhere! One day(year?) I will access them and make them available for sharing.

Until then, I will slowly create new work with “obsolete” cameras and post “obsolete” images starting this year, thanks to my good friend and forum member, Gary (bensonga).

If anyone would enjoy posting images from their past work, I would really appreciate that effort.:)

Last edited:

Godfrey

LOL! When I saw the subject title with "obsolete Nikons" in it, my thoughts immediately turned to my ancient and surely obsolete by now 1960-ish Nikon F plain prism. :D

It's the last of my Nikon gear, a dead body that was given to me by a friend about ten years ago. It had been sitting with the lens missing in a box in his basement for who knows how long. Nothing corroded in it, just gucked up with dust and age ... I had it cleaned and lubricated, adjusted, etc for $170, and have my last two Nikkor lenses (an AI-ed 28mm f/2 and a 1969-ish Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5) to use on it.

I did a quick test roll since I had it brought back to life, it works perfectly. You inspire me to go shoot some photos with it. Jeez, the list of cameras that I "should go shoot some photos with" is getting so long now...!! :facesmack:

G

dave.gt

As this thread begins, I would like to post this wonderful story, paraphrased by a friend in Italy. While not an absolute statement about photography it is certainly a good story that spoke to me. I hope all will enjoy this interesting perspective as it puts a new light on the notion that old cameras are obsolete and are therefore to be avoided.
_________

The story was about an older photographer who already was a famous photographer and a soon to be famous photographer, who was, in that time a young man starting his career. He’s now a well regarded famous photographer, too, and a strong Leica film user. I love his work! :)

"The younger man moved to Milan where he was introduced to the older, who often invited him into his studio to look at his work. During one of the encounters the younger was commenting: nice, very nice this one, ohhh so nice, etc etc…when suddenly the older photographer told him "you say again nice I’ll kick you out of my studio!""

So the younger was surprised and (I guess) much embarrassed and asked, "Why?"

The older photographer answered "a photo has not to be nice, a nice photo has a good light, good composition etc and it is all. A photo must be GOOD, must transmit emotion, tell a story, let you think about something, maybe not perfect light, maybe not perfect focus but must tell something."

Edit: Ahh.. just found where this story came from. I hope the paraphrased account above does some justice to the impact that a good story has had over time.

The power of a good story...

https://www.leica-camera.blog/2017/11/15/leica-hall-fame-award-2017-winner-gianni-berengo-gardin/

dave.gt

Reminder to self:

Purchase a new CD reader for archived TIFF files.:facesmack:

Without the archived files available, this old JPEG has been changed and saved many times. This image is razor sharp in the TIFF files. But, it does show the capability of using an obsolete Nikon D2H to show the sheer heart and determination of a dedicated and obviously highly skilled athlete in a regional championship game.

Nikon D2H 70-200 2.8:

dave.gt

Ten years ago....

Oh, man! I loved my D40 and wish I had never sold it back years ago. It was so much fun!!! Using the D40 with the 70-200/2.8 was always a treat.

Now, I have only the D3100 wishing for a D5600 but I would love another D40!:)

Great image there, Darin!!!!

Edit:

Dang, just found a D40 (Ex+) with battery and charger for $59!!! Time to check my coin slush fund.:)

Last edited:

bensonga

Thanks for starting this thread Dave!

Here is one of the first shots I took with my D2x and a pre-AI 55mm Micro-Nikkor. At the time (and even today), I am so impressed with the detail captured by this "obsolete" 12mp APS-C camera and lens combo.

When I bought the D2x in 2011 I told myself (and my wife) it was so I could have just one Nikon DSLR to use with my collection of Nikkor pre-AI to AIS lenses. Eight years later, there are newer and higher megapixel Nikon FF DSLRs and many AF Nikkors in my camera bags. But, the D2x is still one of my favorites...as is the pre-AI 55mm Micro-Nikkor.

Gary

Darin Marcus

Oh, man! I loved my D40 and wish I had never sold it back years ago. It was so much fun!!! Using the D40 with the 70-200/2.8 was always a treat.

Now, I have only the D3100 wishing for a D5600 but I would love another D40!:)

Great image there, Darin!!!!
Thank you Dave!

It was my first DSLR. I sold it in 2010 when I got a D700. I still remember how strongly people criticized Nikon when the D40 was announced back in 2006. The more things change, the more they stay the same...

dave.gt

Thank you Dave!

It was my first DSLR. I sold it in 2010 when I got a D700. I still remember how strongly people criticized Nikon when the D40 was announced back in 2006. The more things change, the more they stay the same...
The old saying,"Ain't that the truth?"

The mind is snapped back to reality when one goes back 10 years to old forum postings and sees now those once-celebrated cameras have been discarded and relegated to used camera stores for sale at pennies on the dollar 0R permanently reside in landfills.

But the gold is in there! Not only were great photos made in the "distant" past, but direct comparison of those cameras with a new one for most shooting these days reveals that the photographer is of more importance than the camera. That has always been pretty much true, at least for personal use images.

It is, of course, nice to see jaw-dropping commercial images 10' long at a resolution that only a wildly expensive 150mp can produce. But we each must decide what, how, when where and why we shoot any camera. For personal satisfaction, I can enjoy my classic film cameras or any ergonomically designed digital camera that gives me good results. It really is up to me anyway.:thumbup:

dave.gt

Here is a challenge:

With a decade of more photography experience, much better imaging software and (hopefully) a better-trained eye over the years, I have found that the images I shoot now with any of my older cameras are better than the images from the same camera in 2009.

The differences in software alone make re-processing a satisfying new experience!

Try a few and see if you can tell the difference!

Then do a contemporary comparison test with a favored old camera from a decade ago, shooting it alongside your current high-tech cam. Compare 8x12 images. Print them and frame them to view on your wall.

It may be an interesting exercise. It was for me, :thumbup:

dave.gt

I will interrupt my contribution to this thread for a short time while I spend some camera therapy time with a roll of Velvia.

"Gone Fishin', will return soon!":salute:

Darin Marcus

Crossposted from the “Artful pics of flora” thread.

Nikon D40, Cosina Voigtländer 40mm f/2 SLII, 1/400, f/4, ISO 200

This was reprocessed today from the original NEF using the current version of Capture NX-D and the current picture controls.

dave.gt

Crossposted from the “Artful pics of flora” thread.

Nikon D40, Cosina Voigtländer 40mm f/2 SLII, 1/400, f/4, ISO 200

This was reprocessed today from the original NEF using the current version of Capture NX-D and the current picture controls.
Darin,

Just wondering, did you notice a difference in the final image using the current software?:)

Darin Marcus

Darin,

Just wondering, did you notice a difference in the final image using the current software?:)
Hello Dave,

I am using Nikon's Capture NX-D for NEF conversions. It has 2 modes of operation:
- Camera compatible, which uses the camera's original picture controls, or, in the case of older cameras like the D40, the old color modes (I, II, III, Ia, IIIa,..).
- Latest Picture Control, which uses the most recent profiles.

In the case of the D40 files, there is little difference when processing NEFs using the camera compatible profiles. However, the differences are quite big when using the most recent picture controls, which also give access to modern sliders like clarity and mid-range sharpening.

I am using the latest picture control mode, which allows me to get a similar(ish) look in photos from very different cameras (D810, Df, J5, Z6).

I suspect that other RAW converters (Photoshop, Lightroom, C1, etc.) will show clear differences between OOC jpegs and modern processing for the older Nikons.

dave.gt

Just a casual shot of the change of seasons in our front yard. It seems the lone Red Maple tree is the sole harbinger of Autumn so far!:thumbup:

Nikon D2x
50 1.8 G:

D&A

What a great thread! Must keep them coming....but what's with all these Nikon DSLR's? D40's? D2H's? D2x's? You got to be kidding? These are fairly recent additions to the Nikon line-up. How about a Nikon D1? :)

"Autumn in Virginia"

Nikon D1; Nikon 24-85mm f2.8-4

Dave (D&A)

Attachments

Last edited: