The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with "Obsolete" Nikons

k-hawinkler

Weserbergland

The above reference gives a great overview of the area I grew up in, covering geography, notable ridges, important towns, culture, artistic reception, tourism, and economy. I have not been back in a long while, having too much fun over here in the USA. But my Nikon D40 was taken to the area in 2009 by my son Malte and his wife. So all photographic credits belong to them.

I merely edited the terrific raw files they brought back using Adobe Photoshop, Capture One, and very recently DxO PhotoLab 6, my current favorite go to application. Editing these almost a decade and a half old images has given me an appreciation of the progress the image post-processing software industry has made during this time frame in terms of enhancing image quality and ease of use.

As I have not encountered too many D40 images on this site or on others, I would like to start a series of posts featuring some of these D40 images the two took in the Weserbergland.

The first image shows the Weser river, shot from inside the porcelain manufacturing facility Fürstenberg, located high above the river.

Looking at this map of the Weser at Fürstenberg, North on top and South at the bottom,

one can see that the above picture and the following one is taken in the South-West direction and the Weser is flowing towards Fürstenberg / i.e. the camera. (y)

This is an example of the porcelain made in Fürstenberg.

But they also have other designs, one named after Kloster Corvey, located just a few miles downstream on the Weser.

Fürstenberg’s signature symbol.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Schlossanlagen der Porzellanmanufaktur Fürstenberg

NIKON D40 + AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED @ 48 mm (72 mm in 35mm) @ f/8, 1/250 s, ISO 100, DxO PL6.

Consulting again the Weser map, North on top and South at the bottom,

one can see that the above image is taken in the North-West direction and the Weser flows towards the railroad bridge, i.e. away from the photographer and camera. As the white line indicates, the Weser is here also the border between Lower Saxony to the right / East and North-Rhine-Westfalia to the Left / West.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Quoting from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weser_Uplands :

"The Weser Uplands[1] (German: Weserbergland, German pronunciation: [ˈveːzɐˌbɛʁklant]) is a hill region in Germany, between Hannoversch Münden and Porta Westfalica, along the river Weser."

The right half of this map shows the entire Weserbergland

from Hannoversch Münden, where the rivers Werra and Fulda meet to form the Weser, to the top of the map, where the Weser flows through the Porta Westfalica, a gap between the Wiehengebirge to the West/left of the Weser and the Wesergebirge to the Esat or right of the Weser. So in the above map the name Wesergebirge should have been placed above the Weser river or to the North-East of it. The orange line along theWeser shows the established bicycle trail.

The town of Höxter and the former Kloster/Monastery of Corvey are located right in the middle if this area.

Enlarging the lower right hand corner of the above map,

shows the road from Fürstenberg via Boffzen, Höxter, and Lüchtringen to Holzminden right through the westernmost part of the Solling, by far the largest forest in the Weserbergland.

At the middle top of the map is the Köterberg, at 498 m the highest point in the area.
This is a view of the Köterberg with its TV tower as seen from Lüchringen.

This street sign in Fürstenberg gives the local distances.

Now with the local geography out of the way, a few images of Höxter, the first one approaching on the Weser.

Zooming in on the friendly place where one gets on or off river tour boats that operate during the summer.

A first image of Höxter itself.

At the bottom right starts a bridge over the Weser, that was constructed with the engineering expertise of Heinrich Lübke, who also served as president of West Germany from 1959 to 1969. BTW hidden from view by the hedge is a rail line between the bridge and the houses. :)

And finally a few images of the building style the Weserbergland is known for.

NIKON D40 + AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED @ 32 mm (48 mm in 35mm) @ f/7.1, 1/200 s, ISO 200, DxO PL6.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Wow - it’s been a long time since I first read about Der Rattenfänger von Hameln and Baron von Münchhausen … :)
Thank you very much Bart, that made my day. Yep, I grew up with these kinds of stories as well.
I can't help you with a picture of Baron von Münchhausen taken with my D40.
But here is one of Der Rattenfänger von Hameln.

NIKON D40 + AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED @ 36 mm (54 mm in 35mm) @ f/8, 1/250 s, ISO 200, DxO PL6.

More images of Hameln coming up later in this series.
But first I would like to post a boat load (pun intended) of images taken further upstream on the Weser, all the way from Bad Karlshafen to Lüchtringen. ;)

k-hawinkler

More Pictures of Houses in Höxter

NIKON D40 + AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED @ 36 mm (54 mm in 35mm) @ f/8, 1/250 s, ISO 200, DxO PL6.

I wasn't aware of this event until I read it in this reference.

Quote:

"In 2005, an explosion within a house in the historic town centre damaged the town hall and many other significant buildings and resulted in three deaths. Work has started on the rebuilding of the damaged area but is expected to continue for many years."

Please note the images of Höxter presented here were shot in 2009.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Imperial Abbey of Corvey

Quote:

"The Imperial Abbey of Corvey or Princely Abbey of Corvey was a Benedictine abbey on the River Weser, 2 km northeast of Höxter, now in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It was one of the Imperial abbeys of the Holy Roman Empire from the late Middle Ages until 1792 when the abbey was dissolved and Corvey converted into a prince-bishopric."

Quote:

"Nowadays, Corvey is a privately owned cultural gem in the Weser Uplands. And it is still a place of pilgrimage on the long road to Santiago de Compostela. Corvey has never been just a residence for monks. Even the first abbey, founded around 822, was a spiritual, cultural and economic hub and a major driving force behind Christianisation in Europe."

So the founding of Corvey goes almost back to the times of Charlemagne, 2 April 747 – 28 January 814, according to

Moreover

Quote:

"The Carolingian Westwork and Civitas Corvey comprise an early Christian monastic complex. It has the oldest surviving example of a Westwerk, a massive, tower-like western front typical of Carolingian churches. It also shows a rare cycle of mural paintings depicting classic mythological subjects applied to a religious building."

The following images of the Westwerk were taken with my Nikon D40.

NIKON D40 + AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED @ 18 mm (27 mm in 35mm) @ f/3.5, 1/50 s, ISO 600, DxO PL6.

A nearby railroad bridge was bombed during WW2. Apparently the blast wave damaged the Westwerk tower a bit so that from then on the bells won't be swung but only struck with a hammer to make them ring.

This is a picture of the nearby rebuilt railroad bridge, taken in 2009.

NIKON D40 + AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED @ 22 mm (33 mm in 35mm) @ f/8, 1/250 s, ISO 200, DxO PL6.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

A few more Pictures of Corvey

Approaching Corvey from Höxter one first encounters this view.

NIKON D40 + AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED @ 55 mm (82 mm in 35mm) @ f/7.1, 1/200 s, ISO 200, DxO PL6.

NIKON D40 + AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED @ 75 mm (112 mm in 35mm) @ f/5.3, 1/160 s, ISO 200, DxO PL6.

The current owner of Corvey is Viktor Herzog von Ratibor. He also owns vast areas of fields, meadows, and forests in the area that are part of his farming and forest enterprises, as are the above shown buildings.

One final observation, buried in Corvey is August Heinrich Hoffmann von Fallersleben, who wrote the text of the German National Anthem.

k-hawinkler

A general overview of the area, from Höxter, over Corvey, and Lüchtringen to Holzminden.

Corvey is just across the Weser river where the map is labeled with Steinkrug. Steinkrug, in times past a popular place in the Spring, including dancing, is located at the outskirts of the Solling forest, high above the river. Please note the white line, marking the border between NRW to the left and Lower Saxony to the right. Along this border are markings on large stones, B on one side and P on the other. B stands for Braunschweig and P for Preußen, indicating past rulers. Interestingly Lüchtringen is the furthest East located community in the Höxter country and the only one to the East of the Weser.

Now a map of the Weser bend around Corvey.

And finally a map of the Corvey Abbey itself, surrounded by a long and tall wall or buildings.

This is another view of the railroad bridge near the Abbey, but taken from the Lüchtringen side of the Weser.

NIKON D40 + AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED, DxO PL6.

k-hawinkler

Lüchtringen is located about 1 km downstream of Corvey on the other side of the Weser. Coming from the Corvey direction one encounters these views.

Now looking back over the Weser from the other side.

These last 2 images show the spot where the Lüchtringer Fähre used to operate.
The ferry got replaced by a newly built bridge, visible in this image,

less than a quarter mile to the North according to this Lüchtringen map.

The white Fährhaus, or ferry house, in this image,

is located right next to the spot where the ferry was operating, shown here.

The ferry was attached to a long steel cable high cross the Weser suspended from high towers on both sides. When orienting the ferry at an angle with respect to the flow of the river water, it was pushed across by the water pressure.
In the Fährhaus the ferry operator spent most of his time waiting for customers.

A couple more images of Lüchtringen. The first looking towards the Solling forest.

This one looking back at the church.

NIKON D40 + AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED @ 65 mm (97 mm in 35mm) @ f/5, 1/250 s, ISO 200, DxO PL6.