The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Panasonic GH3

Matix

Finally; My GH3 has arrived

Panasonic wonders why they do not sell a lot more cameras, every one I have purchased has been a delayed delivery, whether I purchased from online Hong Kong or Locally. But anyway, I received my GH3 body a few days ago from Photo Continental in Brisbane, $1,299 which was same price as US and that included GST of 10%. This was an excellent price and they brought it in for me.

First few shots are now done, I only kept a couple of lenses from my GH2 days... but they are in my opinion some of the best. Lumix 14-140mm, 14-45mm, 7-14mm and I have ordered the 100-300mm.

After owning the OMD for 3 weeks, I sold it and the kit lens and ordered the GH3. No regrets, I just found the OMD too fiddly and tiny for my hands.. the GH3 is perfect in my hand, feels similar to the A77 as far as security in the grip.

How does it work? I find the JPG output so close to the OMD that it is not worth testing, 6400iso is no problem... on the other hand, the A77 had problems with that speed. Hope to get out this weekend and do some serious shotting, but for now... quick shot out the front windshield driving to work of the sunrise.. at 100kph...just a fun shot.

Phil

GH3, f/9 @ 45 mm, 1/320, ISO 200

ustein

Contributing Editor
> I just found the OMD too fiddly and tiny for my hands.

+1 and I have small hands

ceklund

The San Francisco Bay Bridge has long played a distant second fiddle to its' glitzier relative. However, the artist Leo Villareal has designed a light show on the western span of the Bay Bridge. 25,000 LED lights provide a light show every evening for the next two years. It can be seen from many places along the Embarcadero.

View attachment 70313

bennettk

Why did we not use the 35-100mm? We used two cameras and the 35-100mm was mounted to our GH2. Two 35-100mm zooms would be welcome but also quite expensive.
Yeah. I sold some personal gear and bought the 12-35/2.8 for my GH2, thinking I'd use it as a carry-around camera at work and as my main travel/personal system. My lovely wife tried the zoom a couple of times, and now it's permanently attached to her new G5.

So I guess I need to either suck it up and buy another one, or just use my trio of primes.

xdayv

Reviewed all the pages in this thread, very nice. Anybody got a vertical grip? What are your thoughts? My pinky finger hurts a bit after all-day shooting, I thought the grip would help. I have small hands. :D

I concur with some who shifted from OMD to GH3, the OMD albeit very nice and retro, and probably has better skin tones than the GH3, but I never really connected with its controls and ergonomics side. Never owned an EM5 though.

All taken with 35-100 under less-than-ideal stormy weather, the weather-sealing of both lens and the body proved to be useful.

Matix

Re: The GH3 and Pana Leica 35mm 1.4

I could not be happier with this combination, the GH3 is a winner in it's own right, but add the PL 25mm f1.4 lens and it is as good a camera that I need. Here are a few shots, winter colour in our garden in Brisbane QLD.

Phil

xdayv

revisiting this 'ol thread... some random shots with the 20mm and been using "silent mode" a lot lately:

Matix

Sometimes the accidental shots work, made me smile for sure..

Now and then, the old statement of 'The best camera is the one you have with you when needed' or is it, 'The best Lens is the one you have on the camera when needed?' sure came to mind with this shot.

I was just messing with the GH3 and my faithful original 14-140mm Lumix on the weekend, light was great so wandered the garden, shooting a few shots of my Crucifix Orchid blooms.. a tiny flower, each perhaps 18mm with several in a spray.

The individual flowers remind me of Beaker, the little guy from the Muppets. So, as I said.. took a few shots, then when checking the results later I noted one tiny flower had a visitor.. not easily seen with the naked eye and I was not looking that closely anyway.

This shot is a 90% crop, hand held with a lens that many say is average.. worked for me, as it has many times before.. just a fun shot at 140mm.

A 'Hey... You looking at ME?' moment.

Phil