The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with S1/s1r

scho

Challenged the high res imaging available in the S1R with Canon 24 mm TS-E II lens. Took two shifted high res mode images (187 mp each) and stitched them in LR photo merge to yield a 236 mp final image. Wind was blowing at 10-12 mph so there was some tree branch movement. Selected mode2 in the high res shot setup that is supposed to compensate for movement of this type. Based on results of this test it worked well and I saw no significant ghosting or blur in the final image. Shots were taken at ISO 100, f/11, 1/20 sec

100% screen grab crop with tree branches

Last edited:

scho

Added a new Laowa 20mm f/4 shift lens in L mount to my S1R kit. Two shots vertically shifted each in high resolution mode. Merged in LR Photomerge cropped to 4:3 format and sharpened in Topaz AI Sharpen. Incredible detail in the original 262 MP image file. Uploaded a 50% jpeg to Flickr for display here (click for larger image).

Lumix S1R Laowa 20/4 Shift lens

AlanS

Mmmm, those corners hold up very well considering the resolution! Did you note how much shift you used?

scho

Mmmm, those corners hold up very well considering the resolution! Did you note how much shift you used?
Alan, no I didn't record the shift amount, but probably about 9-10 mm. Much nicer rotation and shift controls compared to the Canon TS-E lenses. Downside is lack of electronic contacts. Would have been better if designed as a mirrorless lens rather than tacking on an adapter to a dslr design.

scho

Some high resolution tree bark detail. Shot with the S1R and Sigma 90/2.8 C in high resolution mode. Cropped the raw file to 3:4 aspect ratio and exported a 70% quality jpeg to Flickr. Click for full resolution.

AlanS

Yes the stuttering of the water is a big downside of the high res modes. I have experimented with mine and have found if you have a long enough exposure it can hide the effect BUT it is very fiddly to find just the right time for each individual case. Also it never quite looks as real as a single exposure! I should perhaps experiment blending a single exposure for the water into a high res back/foreground? The trouble then is upressing the single exposure to match the hi res version, will have to think about that. Anyone have any other ideas?

scho

Back at Steamboat Landing again with the S1R and Laowa 20/4 Shift. These were shot in high res mode (187 MP) and resampled 50% for upload. Click for larger image. The detail recorded by this camera in high resolution mode is impressive and the Laowa 20/4 is up to the task as well.

Last edited:

scho

Squirrels were trying to take my BirdBuddy feeder apart so I had to put it under a dome to keep them off. They don't like the safflower seed that I use in this feeder but that doesn't stop them from tossing it all out in their search for something better.

Grey tufted titmouse with cardinal in the background waiting to get on the feeder.