The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Sony Cameras 2021

ggibson

A fallen leaf on a frosted deck

A7ii + Tamron 28-200 Di III RXD
Great image! How do you like the 28-200? I am looking to cover the short tele range and considering this lens or the 70-180/2.8. I had the Sony 24-240mm for a while but sold it since its performance past 100mm was pretty lacking (I have primes at 85mm and below).

pegelli

Great image! How do you like the 28-200? I am looking to cover the short tele range and considering this lens or the 70-180/2.8. I had the Sony 24-240mm for a while but sold it since its performance past 100mm was pretty lacking (I have primes at 85mm and below).
Thanks Graham, I like it a lot, it's pretty sharp, stays f4 beyond 70 mm and is still f4.5 at 105 mm. AF is accurate and fast enough for me (on an A7ii and A7Rii). I find the bokeh nice for a zoom. It's pretty small and light and so an easy "jack of all trades" lens but compared to primes also a "master of none" allthough I'm usually happy with the results it delivers. Only compromise is the zoom range starting at 28 mm so I've kept my 24-70/4 Sony lens for the times I have to go into tighter quarters where 28 mm isn't wide enough, but since I have it this lens gets used 10 times more than the 24-70 (on the days I go out with a zoom instead of a prime). Hope that helps :)

ggibson

Thanks Graham, I like it a lot, it's pretty sharp, stays f4 beyond 70 mm and is still f4.5 at 105 mm. AF is accurate and fast enough for me (on an A7ii and A7Rii). I find the bokeh nice for a zoom. It's pretty small and light and so an easy "jack of all trades" lens but compared to primes also a "master of none" allthough I'm usually happy with the results it delivers. Only compromise is the zoom range starting at 28 mm so I've kept my 24-70/4 Sony lens for the times I have to go into tighter quarters where 28 mm isn't wide enough, but since I have it this lens gets used 10 times more than the 24-70 (on the days I go out with a zoom instead of a prime). Hope that helps :)
Thanks! I stayed away from the Tamron 28-75 due to the harsh bokeh. I have the Tamron 17-28/2.8, so I'm already covered at wider than 28mm. I think that was a good choice by Tamron to make their lenses more portable.