The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Sony Cameras 2021

JoelM

Nice shots. If you didn't know already, shooting with EFCS turned on with fast shutter speeds (above 1/1000s) will result in these truncated bokeh balls and generally busier-looking bokeh. In that situation, turn EFCS off or you can use e-shutter if you're not shooting a moving object.
You know, I never thought of that. I had previously said that I was displeased with the Noct on my Sony and I never thought that perhaps it was the EFCS. I should run some tests. I wonder what Keith thinks.

Joel

ggibson

Yeah, I try to keep it in mind while using my Voigtlander 40/1.2, and I still sometimes forget to change the setting. Sony should really have an option to turn it off automatically at a certain shutter speed. I believe Nikon's Z cameras have this feature...

KeithDM

Nice shots. If you didn't know already, shooting with EFCS turned on with fast shutter speeds (above 1/1000s) will result in these truncated bokeh balls and generally busier-looking bokeh. In that situation, turn EFCS off or you can use e-shutter if you're not shooting a moving object.
Thanks for the heads-up! Turns out every day is a school day. The photo you referred to was taken at 1/8000 sec with EFCS active. Looks like I will have to sally-forth and carry out some tests with EFCS disabled and also make greater use of the Heliopan Variable six-stop ND filter (bought primarily for when the Noctilux is on M10M or M240). Unfortunately the weather forecast for the next three or four days is looking pretty dire...

pegelli

This week we had to go to C-mine in Genk (Belgium). It's the site of a closed coal mine "Winterslag" that has been renovated and converted to a cultural center. We arrived a little early so I had about a half hour for exploring the site and taking some photos

1: Coal elevator tower

2: Top of the tower

3: Main building (I wished they would have parked the cherry picker somewhere else 🥴 )

4: Elevator entrance where the men went down far below the surface of the earth to dig up the black gold

5: And a last one from the coal elevator

All A7Rii + FE24-70/4 CZ
I didn't have a tripod with me, so most at iso 6400, only #4 at iso 100 from a beanbag

AlanS

My Father was a coal miner in a deep mine in South Yorkshire (UK). He lived through the age of "hand got" (pick and shovel plus shot blasting) to mechanised coal cutting and eventually the closing of the mines and the fall out it had on the communities that relied on the work. This is just a statement on the sad (but ultimately inevitable) state of mining everywhere.

KeithDM

At last a mild & sunny morning after days of high winds + heavy rain. However, a walk around a local lake only revealed two lonely daffodils! Ah well, better than nothing...

50mm Noctilux f1 v4 on A7III.

Last edited: