The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Sony Cameras 2021

scho

First shots with a new Sony A6600 and an old Contax N 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 Vario-Sonnar using the Fringer CN-SE AF adapter. I also have the Contax N 70-200, 50/1.4 Planar, and 100 Makro Sonnar that all perform quite well with the Fringer adapter on Sony cameras.

scho

First shots with a new Sony A6600 and an old Contax N 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 Vario-Sonnar using the Fringer CN-SE AF adapter. I also have the Contax N 70-200, 50/1.4 Planar, and 100 Makro Sonnar that all perform quite well with the Fringer adapter on Sony cameras.
Another shot of the orchids using the Contax N 50/1.4 Planar on the A6600.

scho

Two shots with the A6600 Fringer CN-SE adapter and Contax N 70-200 F/3.5-4.5 Vario-Sonnar. Both at about 200 mm and imported via DXO PureRAW to Lightroom. Click for full size.

pegelli

Two shots with the A6600 Fringer CN-SE adapter and Contax N 70-200 F/3.5-4.5 Vario-Sonnar. Both at about 200 mm and imported via DXO PureRAW to Lightroom. Click for full size.
Hi Carl, seems very crisp shots, especially the first. Have you compared with the version without DXO PureRAW and see how much improvement it gives? Does DXO PureRAW have profiles for these older Contax lenses? I'd be interested in your experience with this program. I have been thinking to download the 30 day trial but haven't found the time yet. Downloading is not the problem, it's the evaluation that follows that probably eats more time than I have available at the moment.

scho

Hi Pietr,

The improvement in these two images is subtle and mainly less grain in the oof background and slightly sharper overall. No old Contax lens profiles so I just ran these without a profile. You have the option of substituting profile from similar lens or just running without lens profile corrections. I like the app and the results. Also, I particularly am impressed with the simple and smooth workflow involving import, processing, and export of final image to main processing app (lightroom for me, but I think that Capture one and others are also supported).

Last edited:

scho

Hi Carl, seems very crisp shots, especially the first. Have you compared with the version without DXO PureRAW and see how much improvement it gives? Does DXO PureRAW have profiles for these older Contax lenses? I'd be interested in your experience with this program. I have been thinking to download the 30 day trial but haven't found the time yet. Downloading is not the problem, it's the evaluation that follows that probably eats more time than I have available at the moment.
I added a screen grab comparison of the original ARW file and PureRAW conversion in my reply above.

pegelli

I added a screen grab comparison of the original ARW file and PureRAW conversion in my reply above.
Thanks Carl, I think the improvement is more than subtle (when pixel peeping), thanks for showing this comparison.