The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

iiiNelson

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Sony A7r + Zeiss Contax 180/2.8 Sonnar FLE @ f/5.6... Just not enough examples out here of this often overlooked lens.

dunders

Subscriber Member

Paul, the 17mm Tokina works really well on the A7R.
That black and white has the look of good old film with either a red or orange filter added at the taking stage as opposed to PP.
Thanks, Barry. The Tokina was given to me by a kind friend in my Pentax days, but it never sat well with the K bodies. I'm glad I kept it, because it does play well with the A7R.

I came to photography too late to have worked at all seriously with film: SFX pro seems to have eliminated the need... [runs for cover! :D]

Barley Fields - Toned in Nik SE Pro2 and then blended with the original colour image..
I like the tonality of all three, but I particularly like #3.

Barry Haines

Thanks, Barry. The Tokina was given to me by a kind friend in my Pentax days, but it never sat well with the K bodies. I'm glad I kept it, because it does play well with the A7R.

I came to photography too late to have worked at all seriously with film: SFX pro seems to have eliminated the need... [runs for cover! :D]

I like the tonality of all three, but I particularly like #3.
Paul...Many thanks also Re: #3...The Barley white clouds with the blue sky didn't work out as I was hoping for in #1, it looks flat and muddy IMO.

That's a good kind friend you have yourself there.
As you say the Tokina 17mm is one of the few super wides that does work well with the A7R...Looking forward to seeing more from the Isle of Man.
It's pretty hard to achieve a true BW film like quality in digital IMO but you succeeded :thumbup:...Cheers Barry

Michiel Schierbeek

Nice shot Douglas! How do you like 24-70 FE. Any major cons?
I am thinking to pick up this lens for traveling when I am in New York in september.

Michiel Schierbeek

Many thanks Michiel, I will let you start the ball rolling then :D
I can't afford :cry: the fuel to keep my engine running for a quick getaway if this is turning into a theme!
Cheers Barry
I understand Barry, you have to save up for all those cheap lenses you have been buying lately :D

Godfrey

Speaking of cheap lenses ...

all: Sony A7 + Sigma 600mm mirror lens

I pulled out the $95 Sigma 600mm I found on Ebay. More of an equipment test than anything else ... Fitted it to the A7 with the Novoflex NEX/NIK; used tripod and remote release to see how sharp it might be. Focusing is typical for a mirror: razor thin focus zone. Results are typical of mirror lens too: a bit low on contrast out of the camera but nothing a little bit of Tone Curve can't cure. It certainly isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but for the little I play with ultra-tele work, it's good enough and provides access at a low price. :)

Thanks for looking! Comments always appreciated.

dwood

Nice shot Douglas! How do you like 24-70 FE. Any major cons?
I am thinking to pick up this lens for traveling when I am in New York in september.
Hi Michiel - thanks! I seem to be in the minority when it comes to the FE 24-70. I really like it, and get consistently good results with it. It's well balanced on my a7r and it makes a particularly nice combination when walking about...also nice to have the stabilization for handheld shots. There are certainly better options for both ends of the lens, but I'm quite happy with performance between 28 and ~65. I think one thing that has left a sour taste for some on the 24-70 is there appears to be an unfortunate amount of sample variation. Pretty happy with mine, but I know a fair number of folks have had to go through multiple copies to get a good one, or have simply given up.

Michiel Schierbeek

Thank you Douglas for your opinions on this zoomlens. If I buy one, I hope I get a good sample.

A pile of ropes.

Barry Haines

I understand Barry, you have to save up for all those cheap lenses you have been buying lately :D
Michiel, you have sussed me out!:cussing::cussing::cussing: - I really can’t afford any of that heavyweight exotic apo-donut glass, that you and Godfrey are lugging around (or even the Sherpa's to carry it on my behalf :dh2:).
I have to be content with plain old Sony kit (onion highlight) glass...I also drink cheap vino out of (freebie) gas station wine glasses :toocool::toocool::toocool:.
BTW. Thanks for the wine bottle idea Godfrey...I think that bottle may well reappear sometime in the future, as I have some other ideas for it...Cheers Barry

Another shot glued together in two halves.

Godfrey

Looks like something that Bones cured in the original Star Trek series... :)

Michiel Schierbeek

I feel so sorry for you Barry, that you have to put up with those old winebottles :scry:
Me, I only drink those modern wines and I must say on the other hand, that they lack a certain kind of character :rolleyes:

Barry Haines

I feel so sorry for you Barry, that you have to put up with those old winebottles :scry:
Me, I only drink those modern wines and I must say on the other hand, that they lack a certain kind of character :rolleyes:

Wise decision...It had character alright, unfortunately of the Sarson's variety :thumbdown:...It was never worth $600.
I can recommend :thumbs: Chateau Du Barry (I am sure you can guess why?).
...Cheers Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.