The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

  • Recently, there has been an increased activity from spammers, which may result in you receiving unwanted private messages. We are working hard to limit this activity.

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

biglouis

Well-known member
Not sure what to think of this shot, Louis. The plane of focus is not on the birds and also weird soft spots surrounding them.
Yes, I see that now. Not sure I agree about the plane of focus but the post processing has turned the bubbles caught in the water behind the bird into strange artefacts. I did use Topaz Sharpen on the image which I normally find does a good job on both colour noise and 'pop' but in this case it has definitely done something weird to the background which I didn't notice until you pointed it out.

That said, it is getting a lot of positive comments in a couple of the FB wildlife sites I have posted it. 99% of the viewing public see two pretty birds and their reflections, the other 1% - photographers - see the problems!

Thanks for point it out - I'll try an alternative process to try and sharpen the birds but leave the background in its original bokeh-state.

LouisB
 

Knorp

Well-known member
I'm sorry for commenting perhaps a bit harsh or even rude - my apologies, Louis. The birds a lovely of course, but the anomalies struck me.
Hope you manage to short it out.

Kind regards.
 

biglouis

Well-known member
I'm sorry for commenting perhaps a bit harsh or even rude - my apologies, Louis. The birds a lovely of course, but the anomalies struck me.
Hope you manage to short it out.

Kind regards.
Bart, absolutely no need to apologise and I hope my response was not interpreted as any criticism of yours. I love this forum, everyone - you included - are always generous and kind with comments. I actually feel a bit dumb that I missed the obvious artefacts in the photographs.

My response was meant to highlight how photographers have to struggle with the fact that the majority of the viewing public have little understanding beyond 'it is pretty and it looks nice' as opposed to a small percentage of photographers who actually understand the processes involved and can point out issues.

Thanks again for taking the time to give me input which is very helpful.

Best wishes

Louis
 

biglouis

Well-known member
Not that much fun and not even a photography taken with a Fuji but this is what happens when your XT-4+XF10-24 does a header from your tripod to the floor, if you are cack-handed at securing it on the tripod head. Thank goodness the lens mount broke instead of the camera mount. I had a 16mm 1.4 with me and fortunately I was able to complete my work, which only had a limited time-window with that instead. Still, as they say in the old public information films, 'don't do this at home, folks!'
PS I've arranged for delivery to Fujifilm UK and they take a fee for the repair up front.

IMG_20210811_124954.jpg
 

Shashin

Well-known member


The National Museum of American History. This is their exhibit on transportation. Honestly, it is one of the creepiest exhibits I have seen. It is like one of those 60s shows where the population of the town turn out to be ghosts, people under mind control of an alien race, or robots.
 

biglouis

Well-known member
Latest acquisition, first test: X-T4, XF 18mm f1.4 LM WR. Seems to be a sharp and colourful lens. Haven't really played around with the wide-open capabilities. I hope to do that tomorrow. There was a lot of strong contrast today and I needed to process the photos through ColorEffex to really balance out the highlights and shadows. Not sure what that says about the lens. ColorEffex certainly makes Fuji lenses 'pop' in my experience. Best viewed large.

_DSF8533-Edit.jpg
 
Top