The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Playing with the RAW File Converter EX

I downloaded the latest version of Capture One (Version 7) from their website this morning and spent some time playing with it. Frankly, I found it a bit overwhelming and a bit difficult to use.. but I will chalk that up to my total inexperience in using the program. I did not find it intuitive at all.

When I came home I decided to also give the software that came with the X-Pro1 a shot, RAW File Converter EX powered by SilkyPix. While I prefer using Photoshop CS6 and ACR I did find that this program did a pretty good job.

Here is a shot I developed with the RAW File Converter EX powered by SilkyPix. My apologies for the Cat Shot... but I did like the play of afternoon light on his eyes. This was shot at f/2.8 using the 18-55mm at 1/125s. I would have preferred to use the 35mm but had to take the shot or the moment might have passed.

Last edited:
Jim,
I have to agree with you, as a first time user of both the Fuji (3 days) and Capture One (today), I struggled with working on a RAW file. I had an image that I printed from a jpeg and from a RAW file using ACR and PS6 and after downloading CO I eventually got a print from Capture One. I feel I now have a print from an RAF file that is as least equal to the jpeg if not just a little better, but what I was very pleased with is that the Capture One print from RAF file with no understanding of the software yet had a depth and roundness of the print that I did not see in the other two. It was good enough that I will be spending some time to get to know this program and I am looking forward to using my new XE-1.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>RAW File Converter EX powered by SilkyPix

Jim, was not very clear but I thought he means RAW File Converter EX. Or not?

ustein

Contributing Editor
RAW File Converter can be a good starting point but misses some central features:

- Highlight Recovery
- Opening shadows
- Not sure about sharpening either

Brian Mosley

Great examples here, thanks for sharing folks.

Quick question, can you develop in camera to tiff? Fuji obviously have the best raw conversion in-camera at the moment, and for now I'd be happy to do the critical base conversion in camera - provided I could get full, uncompressed colour resolution output.

Thanks

Brian

raist3d

Quick question, can you develop in camera to tiff? Fuji obviously have the best raw conversion in-camera at the moment, and for now I'd be happy to do the critical base conversion in camera - provided I could get full, uncompressed colour resolution output.

Thanks

Brian
No but just read apparently this feature has been requested a lot and fuji is considering it. If they are doing this they need to build a tiff at 14-bits and prophoto rgb space. That would keep a lot of the data.

- raist

RAW File Converter can be a good starting point but misses some central features:

- Highlight Recovery
- Opening shadows
- Not sure about sharpening either
For now, I can live with the lack of highlight recovery and DR in shadows using this converter. It does a pretty good job of sharpening. I will probably use this converter rather than spend $300 for Capture One 7.

I believe the RAF files will eventually receive the proper attention by Adobe for both Lightroom and Photoshop. I use both of those programs but rely on Photoshop 99% of the time.

So the process (workflow) will be to use the RAW file converter EX and then finish work in Photoshop CS6. This is much the same process I use now with ACR before doing final post work in Photoshop.

Brian Mosley

No but just read apparently this feature has been requested a lot and fuji is considering it. If they are doing this they need to build a tiff at 14-bits and prophoto rgb space. That would keep a lot of the data.

- raist
I realise this would be processor intensive - but as an option for later RAW development in camera and saving as tiff... I would have thought this wouldn't take much development effort.

It would be something to mitigate the poor 3rd party raw converter support in the short term, and make the X100s much more attractive to early adopters.

Cheers

Brian

Not being a Techno, GearHead I wonder why Fuji chose the RAF file for RAW rather than having the camera create a DNG? My uneducated guess is that the X-Trans sensor is the reason. It may have been discussed at some point but I have missed that.

Can anyone explain their choice of the RAF vs DNG?

The support provided by CO7 and by AccuRaw, even if still preliminary is in my view superior to the one provided by Fuji and Silkpix.
It is difficult if not impossible to compare different raw converters based on different algoritms with diffferent defaults... But this is my personal experience.

tomh

Thanks

Brian
Tiff 16 bit files are consistently large. Pushing a large file out to the storage card would take more time than the processor uses to create the file. Everyone likes a responsive camera.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I wonder why Fuji chose the RAF file for RAW rather than having the camera create a DNG? My uneducated guess is that the X-Trans sensor is the reason.

All these 3rd party companies want their own thing (Pentax a nice exception). But also DNG would not help as there is no way to describe this sensor in DNG as of now I think.

>I will probably use this converter rather than spend $300 for Capture One 7.

Yes, this is a valid $300 question.

JimGoshorn

So, if the in camera conversion is the best at this point, can the user shoot RAW, save them to their HD for cataloging and later use and then reload them to the camera as needed for alternate conversions?

Jim

white.elephant

Just bought an X-Pro 1, based mainly on the feedback I got in this thread. Also bought the 60mm f/2.4. These images were captured over the weekend. Like what I've seen so far. Processed in Lightroom.

Pelao

Just bought an X-Pro 1, based mainly on the feedback I got in this thread. Also bought the 60mm f/2.4. These images were captured over the weekend. Like what I've seen so far. Processed in Lightroom.
Well congratulations on your new camera. Love the colours.

Enjoy!