The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

AlanS

Lots of small things that added up, I love the ergonomics (I like dials) lighter system, long exposure directly on the camera, focus stacking, enough resolution for my needs, the XF 35mm 1.4! I also like Fuji files, I find them easy to work on. The image stabalization on this body was also something I wanted. It just all added up along with a lighter more compact tripod, it just goes on. Anyway, very happy with the decision.

Shashin

Alan, thanks. I kind of had the same realization. It isn't one thing. And the point of things adding up is a good point. Smaller camera, smaller bag, smaller tripod... Not sure it results in a smaller debt, but nothing's perfect. But since my wife took my credit card away, my wallet is smaller too.

biglouis

You've chosen wisely with the X-H1. I owned the X-H1 last year and then part-exchanged it when I bought back into the GFX system with the 50R. Then this year, before Covid, when I was appointed to be the project photographer for the Bevis Marks Heritage Lottery foundation I realised I needed a second body to compliment my X-T3 for event work (the GFX system being too slow for that type of work) so I forked out for one of the last X-H1 body+battery grip combinations I could find on sale in the UK (did you get a new or used one?). Of course, thanks to Covid I haven't really used it much! However, it is the camera I choose first for most pro-type work over the the X-T3 because of its superior ergonomics. If I can recommend two pieces of glass for any X-series camera it would be the XF50-140, which is drop dead gorgeous wide open, and the XF80 macro which is in my opinion a better/more useful lens than the GF120 macro. You'll also find the 10-24 used carefully, e.g. stopped down, a phenomenal UWA. My most used lens is actually the standard 'kit' lens, the 18-55 which for 99% of event work is damn good.
X-H1, XF10-24, iso200 10mm f7.1 0.6sec - HDR merge of 5 shots. - Bevis Marks Synagogue, London - High Holydays Preparations.
50_DSF1953_HDR-2.jpg

AlanS

Thanks Louis, it's a minty second hand one (don't think there are any new ones left now) and it's just like a scaled down 50s which I really liked. I have a 10-24 on order as well as a 16-80 and will pick up a 35mm f1.4 soon. I don't shoot long much so I doubt the 50-140 is worth getting for me. I am sure I will re-aquire some of the other glass I use to own as well though!

Bugleone

....That last one (of Eggleston burr) is superb and I would have been pleased to have shot that!........could frame that one and put it on the wall!

biglouis

Alan, outstanding shots. I rely enormously on the 10-24 for a lot of photography and your skill and eye here has shown it off fantastically.

Louis