The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

glaiben

Godfrey, can you please describe a bit about the use of the camera at waist level with the rear screen flipped out? Easy to see with bifocals, sturdiness of the screen flip-mount, reflections, ease of magnification, etc?

Thanks...gregg

Godfrey

Godfrey, can you please describe a bit about the use of the camera at waist level with the rear screen flipped out? Easy to see with bifocals, sturdiness of the screen flip-mount, reflections, ease of magnification, etc?

Thanks...gregg
I've only wandered about the condo and patio with it so far. I wear progressive lenses myself, have no problem seeing images and controls on the screen (unless the sunlight is blasting it out of range ... like any LCD, it needs a hood for that circumstance; I could see making a little black cardboard chimney to shade it when working in harsh sunlight). The flip seems sturdy and secure (of course, Hasselblad recommends folding the screen down to its rest position for transport of the camera). Focusing magnification is a simple double-tap on the screen, double tap again to go back to normal view.

Like an SWC or a 500CM, it feels solid, precise, all of a piece. The ergonomics of the essential controls are in traditional Hasselblad style, which I find very comfortable. The more I play with it, the more interesting ideas and shooting situations float into my head. The quick snaps I've been making all look superb with very little fooling around in Lightroom at the default raw conversion spec.

My first impressions border on a rave review, but I don't want to sound like Steve Huff... :D :D

G

dexmus

My first impressions border on a rave review, but I don't want to sound like Steve Huff... :D :D

G
ha ha..

Thanks for sharing. My order arrives tomorrow, have been waiting a long time like everyone else.

Any impressions on using the back with 500CM? Also, you mentioned the grip as 'soon to come'. I had seen one artist impression of the grip some time last year, never heard anything on it since. Do you have any news on that?

Best,

dexmus

Godfrey

Any impressions on using the back with 500CM? Also, you mentioned the grip as 'soon to come'. I had seen one artist impression of the grip some time last year, never heard anything on it since. Do you have any news on that?
On the grip, all I can say is that I saw the same thing at announcement time and the contacts, locating peg hole, etc, to support it are in place on the body. I'm sure it will surface soon, but use of the term "soon" is a judgement call.

I haven't gotten to using the back on the 500CM yet, nor have I experimented with the 907x used in electronic shutter mode yet. I'm tired of putzing about at my desk at the moment and am heading outdoors for a little exercise now. I might carry a camera, but likely not. Just want to walk ... or go to the gym. :)

G

I don't see the attraction
Wwwhat? You didn't see the Anniversary sticker on the side?

I say it's a pretty neat addition for Hasselblad users. It's Dante-approved.

Well, thankfully there are other medium format digital camera systems here for you, Doug.

--Dante

Ed Hurst

Well, thankfully there are other medium format digital camera systems here for you, Doug.

--Dante
I don't see the attraction

As a lover of photography and medium format in particular, I can see the appeal even though I doubt that I will ever own a 907X. Lovely to see new things like this coming out and being enjoyed by others. Most of all, I take pleasure from the positive vibe on this thread, based on people doing what they love, having fun and (mainly) taking pleasure in others' enjoyment.

Last edited:

Hausen

I have relented, I paid the deposit this morning. Sounds like I will have the only one n NZ. My wife isn't happy so I will have to sell some stuff to placate her.:p

PeterA

There are only so many cameras one can own and I think Godfrey is demonstrating a most important thing as far as enjoyment goes - pick a camera you want to use and makes you happy using it.

Godfrey

Regards attaching the 907x to a tripod:
In addition to that illustration (from the instruction manual), this is how I've configured mine with the Benro PU50 camera plate:

This plate has about the same dimensions as the Acratech plate that fits the Hasselblad 500 system bodies, which makes it easy to swap the 907x and a 500CM onto the same tripod setup if you're working with both cameras, with minimal change to the setup. :)

G

Godfrey

... So it can shoot any adapted lens then with a universal electronic shutter?
Yes.

Flowers – Santa Clara 2020
Hasselblad 907x + Leica Elmar-R 180mm f/4 + 2x Extender-R
ISO 3200 @ f/11 @ 1/5

Shooting setup:

There are, of course, drawbacks to the electronic shutter. But once you understand what it does, and can do, you can make some nice photographs with any lens you can find an adapter for.

G

Godfrey

One more test/example for now, this time using the electronic shutter, a Fotodiox XCD to Leica M mount adapter, and the classic Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 lens.

Jumble on the Bookcase
Hasselblad 907x SE + Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2
ISO 3200 @ f/2 @ 1/40

DoF is vanishingly tight at this focus distance with a 50mm lens @ f/2. You can see it drop off outside of about a 3/4 inch in-focus zone...

fun fun fun!

G

vjbelle

--Dante
Dante...... I think you and Doug are destined to become lifetime buddies....:ROTFL:

Cheers....

Victor B

dexmus

Just got the camera...Beautiful!!

I put it on the 500CM, pretty good integration - it recognized the 500CM body automatically. Here is a quick snap from the backyard, using 500CM body, 80 2.8 lens and the CFV-II-50C back...

Attachments

Dante...... I think you and Doug are destined to become lifetime buddies....:ROTFL:

Cheers....

Victor B

Truth be told, there is a little bit of Dante in all of us---and hence, all patrons here are lifetime---nay, eternal inferno buddies.

Doug misses me---he's just not ready to admit it yet. That's why he keeps checking back into this forum.

The Fuji GFX could be calling for Doug or maybe he'll surprise me with the eventual "IQ5" sticker on the side of a digital back.

But he does miss me.

--Dante

Last edited:

dexmus

I have a question for Godfrey, or anyone else who has received the camera. There is a small button on the side (called Shift button) that, per the manual, is supposed to switch the function of the scroll wheel (around the shutter) from Aperture to Shutter speed. Is that working for you?

For me, scroll wheel is only able to change the Aperture and the side button press is not doing anything. I did make sure that the camera is set to M mode and not one of the other priority modes.

Best,

Abhi

Last edited:

Godfrey

I have a question for Godfrey, or anyone else who has received the camera. There is a small button on the side (called Shift button) that, per the manual, is supposed to switch the function of the scroll wheel (around the shutter) from Aperture to Shutter speed. Is that working for you?

For me, scroll wheel is only able to change the Aperture and the side button press is not doing anything. I did make sure that the camera is set to M mode and not one of the other priority modes.
I had the same problem until I understood how it works. You press and hold the button while you turn the control dial ... :)

In M mode, it switches the dial from setting aperture to shutter time.
In A mode, it switches the dial from setting aperture to EV Compensation.
etc...

Once you get it and practice a little bit, it becomes natural and easy to control exposure in all modes without having to touch the LCD for speedy shooting. Great for hand-held shooting at waist level with the LCD flipped horizontal!

G

MrSmith

Truth be told, there is a little bit of Dante in all of us---and hence, all patrons here are lifetime---nay, eternal inferno buddies.
Well sentiment doesn’t work on me (previous HB 500cxi owner) and i’m brand agnostic but it has to be said that there seems something intrinsically ‘right’ about the camera in it’s packaging/size/looks and from the sounds of it usability that is quite attractive. something the likes of Fuji/Phase could maybe do with. :thumbup:

Godfrey

Today I took the back off the 907x body and fitted it onto my black 500CM body. At first, I had the Distagon 50mm f/3.5 lens fitted ... The body had a microprism screen fitted and, wow, was that hard to focus! I switched the screen to a plain matte fresnel type screen and that was a lot easier. Then I switched that for a split image screen and with that, all focusing issues with the Distagon 50mm disappeared.

The CFVII 50c is superb to fit onto a classic Hasselblad 500CM. It automatically recognizes the camera and just works, no fuss and no funky setup or cable triggering to deal with. I made a couple of dozen exposures with the Distagon 50 and several are quite nice.

Then I decided to go for a longer lens test and fitted the Makro-Planar 120mm f/4 to the body, and switched the plain ground glass screen back into place. WOW! Totally different feel to this lens ... The image snaps in and out of focus on the focusing screen with alacrity, the test exposures are instantly beautiful. This particular matte fresnel focusing screen has guidelines for SuperSlide format on it, which turns out to be just about an exact match to what the sensor when cropped square will see.

I made several really nice test shots with this setup, but I have to say this abstract of my Brompton bicycle just hits the numbers for me.

Brompton – Santa Clara 2020
Hasselblad 500CM + CFVII 50c + Makro-Planar 120mm f/4

The 907x/CFVII 50c is such a great kit, and the back is similarly a great kit if you have a 500CM as well!

Oh yes: Nearly forgot, this is the shooting configuration of the camera.

enjoy, G