The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

Godfrey

The damage I managed to do, and the subsequent surgical repair and healing required, to my right shoulder effectively had me shelve the 907x for quite a long time as it was too heavy for my to walk with and hold steadily. I've been processing posting photos from it that are all the backlog of shooting from before June 11 (and I still have a few more to work on and post!). I've had to stick with my lighter weight, smaller, smaller format cameras in the meanwhile. Well, my shoulder finally felt healed enough finally to manage the 'Blad again. So I decided to fit the Summicron-R 90mm f/2 and take it on my walk over to the shopping center and back, see how it goes. Ah, felt so nice to be using it again in the field, even if for only a short walk!

Some florals ..

A Place to Sit - Santa Clara 2020

Leaves on Stone Wall - Santa Clara 2020

Palm - Santa Clara 2020

White Flowers, Green Leaves - Santa Clara 2020

Orange Tree - Santa Clara 2020

All with the Leica Summicron-R 90mm f/2 lens fitted via Fotodiox Pro mount adapter onto the Hasselblad 907x.

Enjoy!
G

bythewei

My 45P finally arrived!

Does anyone know how to configure the toggle wheel on the shutter button to toggle shutter speed? Currently it is fixed at aperture, no matter what kind of shooting modes I switch it to. I want to shoot at f/4 permanently and set my ISO as auto, so the only thing I need to toggle is shutter speed.

spb

Staff member
My 45P finally arrived!

Does anyone know how to configure the toggle wheel on the shutter button to toggle shutter speed? Currently it is fixed at aperture, no matter what kind of shooting modes I switch it to. I want to shoot at f/4 permanently and set my ISO as auto, so the only thing I need to toggle is shutter speed.
If you go into Manual Mode Set F4 as your aperture and then depress the button on the side as you rotate the toggle wheel, then you have what you want. F4 remains, ISO is auto and you control the shutter speed (by rotating the toggle wheel and the side button).

Doesn't that achieve what you want?

Godfrey

My 45P finally arrived!

Manual exposure: press shift button while turning the control dial controls shutter time.
Aperture priority mode: press shift button while turning the control dial controls EV Compensation (shutter time affected).

Program and Shutter priority are not appropriate. AutoISO works in both modes.

G

scho

Question about exposure mode when using an adapted lens on the 907x. Here is example with an 80mm planar in the XV adapter. Control screen shows M for exposure mode, but if you tap M to get to exposure mode panel it shows that we are in A or aperture priority mode. Why doesn't control screen display A instead of M?

Godfrey

It's a bug. The indication resets to M on the top panel, but the metering function is as it says in the selection panel. Just tested with my 907x SE, does the same thing.

G

PS: I sent an email to Hasselblad Support with a bug report. You should likely do that as well.

Last edited:

Jared

If you go into Manual Mode Set F4 as your aperture and then depress the button on the side as you rotate the toggle wheel, then you have what you want. F4 remains, ISO is auto and you control the shutter speed (by rotating the toggle wheel and the side button).

Doesn't that achieve what you want?
Actually, for reasons that have never really made sense to me, Hasselblad does not support auto ISO in manual mode. So this isn’t an option.

So, if one wants auto ISO and wants to shoot exclusively at f/4 the best choice is to put it in aperture priority, set it to f/4, and set the appropriate minimum shutter speed for your lens. You won’t use the button at all—the camera will pick shutter and ISO. Using the shift button one can force the camera to over/under expose as needed.

If you really want the main dial to control shutter speed, one can put the camera in shutter priority. But then you need to make sure you keep the shutter speed high enough that the camera doesn’t change the aperture off of f/4. Again, one can over or under expose using the shift button.

Godfrey

Actually, for reasons that have never really made sense to me, Hasselblad does not support auto ISO in manual mode. So this isn’t an option.
Doh! Thanks for catching that.

Shutter priority mode doesn't make sense since it's hard to keep the camera from changing the aperture without constantly fussing with the exposure time. For practical purposes, this means A mode, f/4 set, AutoISO set, and use the shift button when turning the control dial to adjust exposure through EV compensation.

It would be nice if Hasselblad implemented a user abiliity to swap the control dial and shift-control dial functionality... I'd appreciate it too since I tend to set an aperture and hold that setting, roll EV compensation around to adjust exposure. I'd much rather use the shift button to switch the aperture around in A mode.

G

Godfrey

few more exposures made the other day on my walk, which I roughly group together under the notion of "abstracts"...

NO - Santa Clara 2020

Construction Fence - Santa Clara 2020

Together - Santa Clara 2020

It Is Unlawful - Santa Clara 2020

No Parking - Santa Clara 2020

Chairs and Tables - Santa Clara 2020

All made with Leica Summicron-R 90mm f/2 on Hasselblad 907x.

Enjoy!
G

spb

Staff member
Oops I had not noticed that, so thank you for the correction!

Godfrey

It's a bug. The indication resets to M on the top panel, but the metering function is as it says in the selection panel. Just tested with my 907x SE, does the same thing.

PS: I sent an email to Hasselblad Support with a bug report. You should likely do that as well.
Hasselblad Support has confirmed that this bug is reproducible on their cameras too. It's been acknowledged as a confirmed bug and put on the fixit list. :D

G

spb

Staff member
Good luck. I've been requesting Auto ISO in manual mode since 1997. Hasselblad feels it would be confusing to the user. Go figure.

Joe
Jeese since 1997! I hope I don't have to wait that long, I find it very useful. How come it is not confusing to the user in every other mode? I cannot figure that one out ;)

Godfrey

Jeese since 1997! I hope I don't have to wait that long, I find it very useful. How come it is not confusing to the user in every other mode? I cannot figure that one out ;)
The usual explanation I've gotten in conversation with camera tech design folks is that many users expect "Manual" exposure mode to be explicit: set ISO, set aperture, set exposure time, nothing else. Set aperture, set exposure time, and let ISO vary is not really Manual mode to many users ... it's what Pentax dubbed "Time/Aperture Priority" or TA mode when the added it into the K10D model about a decade or so ago: lock time and aperture, let sensitivity vary. Many manufacturers have since incorporated it as a feature of Manual mode with AutoISO, that's all, but it's not a universally supported feature by all manufacturers.

AutoISO in exposure automation modes seems a fairly straightforward addition since AE modes have the implicit notion that the camera is taking control and varying at least one of the three mechanisms of exposure. Adding AutoISO to Manual mode makes it, semantically and functionally, not actually Manual operation: you're giving the camera leave to adjust at least one exposure parameter by itself. AutoISO behavior isn't always entirely easy to figure out either, which is why some (many) cameras have user controls for how the AutoISO function operates. It's a big stretch to consider it as essential to Manual operation.

I'm not entirely sure I disagree with Hasselblad: When I switch my camera to Manual exposure mode, I expect it to do exactly and ONLY what I set explicitly. It took me a while to get my ideas around the addition of AutoISO to Manual mode when I first encountered it, and I still find I don't use it all that often as it can be confusing and has some limitations that can sneak up on you, IMO. It's kind of like adding EV Compensation to Manual mode ... why use that instead of just setting the exposure value that you need in the first place? :)

G

spb

Staff member
As I wrote to support, I don't consider it essential, just asked for it to be an option. Just like it is available in any other mode as an additional ISO choice to ISO 100-25600 (I think that is the top value). It is not essential, but could be useful for some people and certainly I would use it on occasion too.

"It's a big stretch to consider it as essential to Manual operation."

bythewei

As I go into my third day of owning the 45P, I can't decide which is worse - the fact that the lens autofocus is useless, or the fact that the CFVii50C's focus peaking is hopelessly inaccurate.

I encountered numerous times where the peaking shows up in out-of-focus areas during live view. Anybody encountered and/or agree with my frustrations?

Godfrey

As I go into my third day of owning the 45P, I can't decide which is worse - the fact that the lens autofocus is useless, or the fact that the CFVii50C's focus peaking is hopelessly inaccurate.

I encountered numerous times where the peaking shows up in out-of-focus areas during live view. Anybody encountered and/or agree with my frustrations?
Hmm. I don't think the AF is "useless", only a bit slow. Doesn't bother me because I don't use AF all that much anyway ... It's so easy to focus manually, I just don't see the point most of the time. AF is just a convenience to use when it works well. One thing that made the AF work better for me was to reduce the AF area to its minimum size (Settings -> Camera -> Focus :: AF Point Size: SMALL).

The focus peaking with both the 21 and 45 mm lenses is too coarse* to be useful, and its display occludes the screen too much. I turned it off and haven't turned it back on. Using the AutoZoom feature (Settings->Camera->Focus :: Focus Assist: AUTO-ZOOM), or just zooming in when needed by double-tapping the screen, is a much, much more effective manual focusing aid.

* Coarse meaning that it is too liable to show any high contrast edge as sharp, as if the gain is too high on the algorithm. It needs a way to be scaled down to a lower sensitivity so that it only picks the highest contrast edges, and the display needs to be much lighter on those edges, not the current 3-5 pixel wide line blasting most of the screen real estate and occluding any decent view of what you're looking at. I haven't tried it with longer focal lengths; it might work better with a 65 or 90 mm lens than with the 21 and 45mm.

G