The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

spb

Staff member
The XCD 45mm f/4 P lens Hasselblad doesn't offer a lens hood for the 45P, which I think is just wrong, so I've ordered a B+W metal hood for wide lenses—suitable for 28-45mm on FF sensor—in 62mm thread. This table compares the AoV range that the hood was designed for and the H, V, and D AoV values for the Planar 80 on 6x6 and the 45P on 33x33 and 33x44 formats.
G
Godfrey what's the exact name of the Hood. I am having difficulty to find a place to order it in Switzerland, so the proper name of it would help me.

Thanks,

Stephen

cgastelum

After much trading, selling, bartering, getting scammed and asking my wife for a bailout. My kit is here:

Alpa + Hasselblad by Arq. Carlos Gastelum, on Flickr

Can't wait to go out to shoot so I can share actual shots from this camera/s.

Now to get rid of the rest of my GFX system so I can get more xcd goodness or maybe a wider ALPA lens.

spb

Staff member
Thanks everyone for this thread. Gives me ideas and makes me look forward to receiving my chrome 907.

onasj

Beautiful set up! I especially like the OVF on your ALPA—if I’m not mistaken, than looks like the OVF from the Polaroid 600se 75/5.6 lens. Classic. Two questions:

1) Can you explain why you decided to move from the GFX system to the HX/XCD system?

2) Is your film in the photo back usable with this setup? Do you use it on the ALPA body?

After much trading, selling, bartering, getting scammed and asking my wife for a bailout. My kit is here:

Now to get rid of the rest of my GFX system so I can get more xcd goodness or maybe a wider ALPA lens.

Godfrey

That looks to be a lovely setup! Enjoy, can't wait to see some photos! :)

G

Godfrey

Beautiful set up! I especially like the OVF on your ALPA—if I’m not mistaken, than looks like the OVF from the Polaroid 600se 75/5.6 lens. Classic. Two questions:

1) Can you explain why you decided to move from the GFX system to the HX/XCD system?

2) Is your film back in the photo usable with this setup? Do you use it on the ALPA body?
(bolded) The A12 back cannot be used with the 907x body; it (and the CFVII 50c) is perfectly usable with the ALPA technical camera.

G

Godfrey

No new photos to share just yet from me, it's been a bit of a dry spell as I have gone through some medical shenanigans in recent weeks. That's all coming to and end now: I'll soon be out there with the 907x again. :thumbup:

To that end, I was playing with my Fotodiox Pro Leica R to X lens adapter this morning, fooling with an Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8, Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4, and Summicron-R 90mm f/2. Cropped to square (and with the lens hood removed from the 28mm), all three perform very nicely and just about exactly replicate my Hasselblad 500CM kit with 50, 80, and 150mm lenses in terms of FoV, while being a lot more compact. I found this pretty amusing... But then, I'm easily amused right now. :D

I can do a similar trio with the Color Skopar 28mm, Summicron-M 50mm, and M-Rokkor 90mm that is even a little more compact, but I the R lenses image a little more evenly on the CFVII 50c sensor. Fooling with the 90mm f/2 reinforces that I'd like that XCD 80mm f/1.9 too.

Anyway, these lenses make a compact and light weight walking kit with the 907x body and a travel tripod. Possibilities...

G

FloatingLens

To that end, I was playing with my Fotodiox Pro Leica R to X lens adapter this morning, fooling with an Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8, Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4, and Summicron-R 90mm f/2. Cropped to square (and with the lens hood removed from the 28mm), all three perform very nicely and just about exactly replicate my Hasselblad 500CM kit with 50, 80, and 150mm lenses in terms of FoV, while being a lot more compact. I found this pretty amusing... But then, I'm easily amused right now. :D

I can do a similar trio with the Color Skopar 28mm, Summicron-M 50mm, and M-Rokkor 90mm that is even a little more compact, but I the R lenses image a little more evenly on the CFVII 50c sensor. Fooling with the 90mm f/2 reinforces that I'd like that XCD 80mm f/1.9 too.
Godfrey, do you generally recommend to use those lenses in 3:2 and 1:1 crop mode on the CFV II?

Godfrey

Godfrey, do you generally recommend to use those lenses in 3:2 and 1:1 crop mode on the CFV II?
I've only done testing with them in 1:1 crop mode and they perform well that way. I'm sure other crops would work too—the vignetting is mostly at the corners of the 44x33 format—but I'd have to experiment more once I do some actual shooting with them to see what else I could get from them.

XPan format should be possible without vignetting ... 2.7:1 WxH or ~44x16 on the CFVII 50c sensor, about a 24Mpixel image ... but I'd have to test. At 44mm wide, you are working a bit out of the designed-for format width so I expect the extreme ends of the frame might not be quite as sharp as you might want for landscape work. I'm generally not so concerned with that issue for my work... most of the time. :)

G

Godfrey

So, of course, I do actually have a bunch more 907x photos I haven't finished rendering yet ... :D

I picked these four out of my 'walks' set as being reasonably compatible in aesthetic to post together.

Palm Tree & Shrub by Hotel Windows - Santa Clara 2020
Hasselblad 907x + XCD 45P f/4

Faux Arches - Santa Clara 2020

Porch & Sitting Bench - Santa Clara 2020

Gutter Drain Against Electricals - Santa Clara 2020

Quarter-rez (1600x1600 pixels) posted here. Click through to Flickr on any of the photos to access up to a half-rez version.

enjoy!
G

FloatingLens

I've only done testing with them in 1:1 crop mode and they perform well that way. I'm sure other crops would work too—the vignetting is mostly at the corners of the 44x33 format—but I'd have to experiment more once I do some actual shooting with them to see what else I could get from them.

XPan format should be possible without vignetting ... 2.7:1 WxH or ~44x16 on the CFVII 50c sensor, about a 24Mpixel image ... but I'd have to test. At 44mm wide, you are working a bit out of the designed-for format width so I expect the extreme ends of the frame might not be quite as sharp as you might want for landscape work. I'm generally not so concerned with that issue for my work... most of the time. :)

G
Thanks! I am looking for some adaptable 135 lenses for wide angle work, preferably ZM. Not sure how any of the Zeiss Biogons would fare... any thoughts?

I know that extreme ray angles are going to be a problem, but 3:2 and 1:1 crops should make them perform at pretty much their optimum, right?

Godfrey

Thanks! I am looking for some adaptable 135 lenses for wide angle work, preferably ZM. Not sure how any of the Zeiss Biogons would fare... any thoughts?

I know that extreme ray angles are going to be a problem, but 3:2 and 1:1 crops should make them perform at pretty much their optimum, right?
I have no personal experience with the Zeiss M-mount lenses. However, I did a little testing with the Voigtländer HyperWide 10mm f/5.6 Aspheric and was quite amazed with how well it performed, despite the toothy vignetting created by its non-removable lens shade. This is a full-frame capture to show the vignetting:

Voigtländer HyperWide 10mm f/5.6 Aspherical

To give you a point of reference of the coverage possible with this lens, this is a full frame capture from the same position with the XCD 21mm lens, widest lens available in native format:

Hasselblad XCD 21mm

Cropping to just within the hard vignetting point with the Voigtländer 10mm nets a result that is easily 25 to 30 degrees wider angle of view on the diagonal, and the corner/edge rendering at that crop is still pretty darn good!

I experimented also with my Leica R 19 and 15 mm lenses, although I wasn't expecting much. Due to the vignetting, I have to say there's no useful coverage gain over the XCD 21. The 10mm is pretty special.

By and large, best thing to do is to invest in a couple of mount adapters (they're about $150 each IIRC) and experiment with the lenses you have. Some lenses do surprisingly well, others not. I have both Leica M and R mount adapters from Fotodiox. I use the R adapter quite a good bit, mostly for use with the Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm and negative digitization work so far.

G

Last edited:

cgastelum

Hi,

The viewfinder for my Alpa is a Mamiya Super 23, 50mm OVF. you can get it for +/-$50 on ebay and it is designed for 6x9 coverage.

The advantage of the GFX was the faster autofocus, eye detect and lower price. The drawback was the weight / size and the fact that I had to use a diferent digital back for my Alpa (Credo50) which made it even more cumbersome to travel with. 95% of the time I left the GFX home and went out with my little xpro2 and had all this expensive equipment home collecting dust. I have the GFX since late 2017 and only shot 4,200 photos with it. The 907x +50c fits in my little shoulder or sling bag and I can take it anywhere specially with the 45p lens. I have a couple of projects in mind once travel is possible and wanted a small MF camera to take with me, on top of that I can mount it on my ALPA and edit all my photos the same way, with a very similar color consistency.

My Film back is the older hasselblad 12 type so you advance it manually. this way it can be used with the ALPA body and the V adapter.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Carlos

2) Is your film in the photo back usable with this setup? Do you use it on the ALPA body?

ndwgolf

Just thinking out loud............I am thinking there is no need to get a XCD to V adapter as the CV50 would probably work better on the 503CW verses putting the V lenses on the 907X......does that sound about right?
Neil