The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

bythewei

Exactly my point! The focus peaking is too coarse to be useful. How does the focus peaking work out for your non XCD glass though?

I'm trying to get my hands on the Novoflex Minolta MD-X1D adaptor and use my Rokkor 55mm f/1.7 which is tested and proven to work well on GFX.

Godfrey

Exactly my point! The focus peaking is too coarse to be useful. How does the focus peaking work out for your non XCD glass though?

I'm trying to get my hands on the Novoflex Minolta MD-X1D adaptor and use my Rokkor 55mm f/1.7 which is tested and proven to work well on GFX.
I just tried it with the Summicron-R 90mm. It works better at f/2 with this lens, modulo the 'too heavy' peaking indication lines that obliterate everything. The sensitivity is just too high at smaller apertures ... too much is considered "in focus" ... and the thickness of the peaking indication is so heavy that you can barely see the subject through the peaking lines. The fact that it only works in full view and not in magnified view makes it doubly useless... and of course in magnified view, you can turn it off and see the focus point critically and precisely.

I'm going to post a bug report/feature request on it to Hasselblad. They should either give the peaking a lower sensitivity setting or a scale of user selectable sensitivities. In either case, they should lighten up the indication to be much much finer lined. Then it will become useful.

Focus magnification is much more useful and works fine with both native and adapted lenses (although you don't get the auto function with adapted lenses).

off the subject: If you already have the 45P, I don't see why you would bother with an adapted 55mm lens. The FoV is too close to bother, for me anyway. The small crop on a 45mm lens's FoV to produce 55mm FoV is fairly trivial. The diagonal field of view is only different by about 9-10 degrees. I haven't bothered with any of my 40-60 mm lenses since I got the 45P, other than the Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8 for its close up capability. In fact, the major reason I'm playing with adapted 90 and 135 mm lenses is to determine what focal length I really want for my third XCD focal length. I know the 90mm works for me now, I know 120 works toofrom the adapted V system 120mm; the 135 is my next experiment. :)

G

Last edited:

bythewei

I have the Minolta 55mm f/1.7 and 100mm f/2.5 from my GFX days. Even though I had the GF 50mm f/3.5 (closest thing to 45P), I find myself using the 55mm most of the time.

I reckon it will be the same for the 907X, and if things work out, I’ll sell the 45P.

Interestingly, the Minolta X1D adaptor is really hard to find in the market! Only the Novoflex version exists and that’s an expensive one.

Godfrey

Whatever suits you. Personally, I'd sell the Minolta and keep the 45P, but that reflects my predilections ... LOL!
I have scads of other lenses in the 50mm range, some of which do cover the format well enough; I'd rather use the 45P as it performs better and gives me all the functionality of the 907x - all exposure modes, automated focus bracketing, no eshutter limitations, etc. :)

This weeks adapted lens entertainment is going to be my Leitz Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8. A couple of quick checks seem to indicate that it covers the format beautifully even wide open, no fall off or vignetting. So I'll give it a whirl. Most of why I'm playing with these lenses is because I have them already and I'm looking to see exactly what focal length to choose for my third (and likely final) XCD lens. So far, I know that the 80-90 mm range is very appealing to me, I already know that 120 works well (using the V system Makro-Planar 120 T* as a model) and want to see what the longer focal length feels like on a walkabout.

Fun fun fun... :)

G

scho

Just received a used CF 100/3.5 Planar and since it was already dark outside my first test shot was a houseplant. Mounted the lens in the XV adapter and XH tripod ring adapter on my tripod. Shot was 25 sec at f/11 ISO 100 with the 907x/50CII. I'll see how it does in daylight later this week. Focusing was a little stiff, but otherwise lens looks good.

jng

Just received a used CF 100/3.5 Planar and since it was already dark outside my first test shot was a houseplant. Mounted the lens in the XV adapter and XH tripod ring adapter on my tripod. Shot was 25 sec at f/11 ISO 100 with the 907x/50CII. I'll see how it does in daylight later this week. Focusing was a little stiff, but otherwise lens looks good.

Looks nice! If focusing seems stiff the lubrication has probably dried out - may be time for a CLA...

John

djonesii

Workshop Member
As I recall Fuji solves this exact issue by allowing a menu choice in ISO settings of a range with a minimum/maximum. One of the few places a menu dive is required. Elegant way around the below issue

Dave

The usual explanation I've gotten in conversation camera tech design folks is that many users expect "Manual" exposure mode to be explicit: set ISO, set aperture, set exposure time, nothing else. Set aperture, set exposure time, and let ISO vary is not really Manual mode to many users ... it's what Pentax dubbed "Time/Aperture Priority" or TA mode when the added it into the K10D model about a decade or so ago: lock time and aperture, let sensitivity vary. Many manufacturers have since incorporated it as a feature of Manual mode with AutoISO, that's all, but it's not a universally supported feature by all manufacturers.

AutoISO in exposure automation modes seems a fairly straightforward addition since AE modes have the implicit notion that the camera is taking control and varying at least one of the three mechanisms of exposure. Adding AutoISO to Manual mode makes it, semantically and functionally, not actually Manual operation: you're giving the camera leave to adjust at least one exposure parameter by itself. AutoISO behavior isn't always entirely easy to figure out either, which is why some (many) cameras have user controls for how the AutoISO function operates. It's a big stretch to consider it as essential to Manual operation.

I'm not entirely sure I disagree with Hasselblad: When I switch my camera to Manual exposure mode, I expect it to do exactly and ONLY what I set explicitly. It took me a while to get my ideas around the addition of AutoISO to Manual mode when I first encountered it, and I still find I don't use it all that often as it can be confusing and has some limitations that can sneak up on you, IMO. It's kind of like adding EV Compensation to Manual mode ... why use that instead of just setting the exposure value that you need in the first place? :)

G

Reactions: spb

spb

Staff member
Peak Design Travel Tripod with a Novoflex Mini Connect and the standard ballhead, whilst I await the standard head.

What I like about the Mini Connect is the coin sized connection to the 907X which doesn't touch the back at all and by putting an extension onto the tripod before the Mini-Connect there is room for my fingers to get at stuff.

Last edited:

Godfrey

As I recall Fuji solves this exact issue by allowing a menu choice in ISO settings of a range with a minimum/maximum. One of the few places a menu dive is required. Elegant way around the below issue
Various cameras I use/have used support the same notion of adjusting the AutoISO range. I don't find it actually solves much—it's still very easy to hit the range limits inadvertently and mess up the exposure. In general, I'd rather hold ISO stable in manual exposure mode to obtain a more consistent grain structure and dynamic range from shot to shot. At most letting ISO float seems to be useful in about a two to three stop range, which means making a pretty decent guess at the right aperture/shutter time setting most of the time, for each exposure. it works best in fairly consistent lighting situations, in other words.

G

Godfrey

Peak Design Travel Tripod with a Novoflex Mini Connect and the standard ballhead, whilst I await the standard head.

What I like about the Mini Connect is the coin sized connection to the 907X which doesn't touch the back at all and by putting an extension onto the tripod before the Mini-Connect there is room for my fingers to get at stuff.View attachment 178800View attachment 178801View attachment 178802
I don't understand what problem the Novoflex Mini Connect is solving. Fitted with a Peak Design plate or the DAL-1 L-bracket, nothing touches the back and the whole camera is lower, tighter to the head, and it should net more stability that way. Sitting the camera up on a necked pedestal seems odd to me. Can you clarify what it is that this setup achieves over the standard PD head and plate setup? thx!

G

Reactions: spb

spb

Staff member
I don't understand what problem the Novoflex Mini Connect is solving. Fitted with a Peak Design plate or the DAL-1 L-bracket, nothing touches the back and the whole camera is lower, tighter to the head, and it should net more stability that way. Sitting the camera up on a necked pedestal seems odd to me. Can you clarify what it is that this setup achieves over the standard PD head and plate setup? thx!

G
Just trying things out. I do use the Mini Connect a lot in studio for product photography and I have one other Novoflex head.

I thought the Coin shaped attachment is stronger than what the very small PD quick release plate looks and feels like. I also prefer to be able to tighten up with a coin rather than a special key which I usually forget to have with me or cannot find.

cgastelum

G
Hi Godfrey, I found that my DAL-1 L-bracket and the Peak design plate work well until you want to remove the back from the 907x body. I do this a lot since I use the back on my Alpa or on my 503cw. if you are not careful you can bend the bottom support on the 907x.

I wish there was a spacer that you could add to the bottom plate to create a small gap to allow the removal of the back. I'll work on something and share once I work out the details.

Godfrey

Hi Godfrey, I found that my DAL-1 L-bracket and the Peak design plate work well until you want to remove the back from the 907x body. I do this a lot since I use the back on my Alpa or on my 503cw. if you are not careful you can bend the bottom support on the 907x.

I wish there was a spacer that you could add to the bottom plate to create a small gap to allow the removal of the back. I'll work on something and share once I work out the details.
Hmm. I don't see the problem ... I took some photos with a PD plate and the DAL-1, using the PD Travel Tripod as example. There's plenty of clearance and plenty of space to swing the back the 6mm needed to clear the locking hasps.

PD Plate

- fitment -

- clearance -

- back removal with the back tipped back to touching -

DAL L-bracket

- fitment -

- clearance -

- back removal with the back tipped back to touching -

Also, if you're using the PD tripod, the tool needed for the PD plate is usually clipped to the tripod leg in its holder. The DAL plate bolt is also slotted for a coin. The tool is just a 4mm hex key ... I have one of those on my keyring all the time anyway since it's so universally useful for all my equipment (and adjustments on my bicycle, and similar on my motorcycle). :)

G

glennedens

Mojo, beautiful image, we were just by there the other day, however the weather was terrible so didn't stop. Santa Fe was beautiful today. I always enjoy your work. Glenn, Santa Fe, NM

spb

Staff member
Just been informed my Control Grip can be collected, as yet no 45/4P, but am not in a hurry for that.

Well I have to say I am surprised the Grip is not as big or as far away from the body as some of the pictures make it look.
It looks marvellous, it feels very slick in use. Very nice piece of kit and definitely VERY useful to have. I like the joystick feel and
the two wheels for adjusting F-stop and speeds.

Probably it will remain on the camera. I am not sure about carrying it for lengthy periods using the grip as a handle so I will retain my Peak Design strap.

Last edited: