The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

budfox

Does anyone know if there is a third party optical viewfinder that replicates the FOV of an 80mm xcd lens for the 907X? This would be to replace the optical viewfinder part on the HB proprietary VF.
thanks

Godfrey

I have a Voigtländer 75mm OVF that does a pretty close approximation for an 80 to 90 mm lens on the 907x format will see.

G

Godfrey

No announcements have been made as yet regarding the availability of the CFVII 50c back as a standalone purchase.

I suspect it will be a while yet. The 907x package seems to be selling very well, the price premium over the cost of just a back is likely down to just a few hundred dollars. I suspect that the demand for the 907x package constrains the release of the backs as a standalone, since the 907x is useless without the CFVII 50c. Once demand for the 907x drops a bit, they could then divert some of the CFVII 50c production for standalone packaging.

G

Godfrey

Since the 907x body is likely such a small premium on the cost of the package (I can't see the back selling for much less than about $6000 standalone), I'd just buy a 907x and leave the body section in the box.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Since the 907x body is likely such a small premium on the cost of the package (I can't see the back selling for much less than about $6000 standalone), I'd just buy a 907x and leave the body section in the box.
That was my original idea as well . But as the 4/45P Lens is rather cheap and good , I could not resist . I don‘t know if Dante was involved here .
Now the 907x/45P kit is my new SWC .

mristuccia

That's the whole point in the existence of the 907x, which is gracefully and gradually migrating old V aficionados into the X system.
And that's the reason why the CFV-50c is not sold without the 907x.
The 45P is another step in this Caronte's mission. :)
I'm not criticizing here, on the contrary, I can perfectly understand it.

Last edited:

budfox

Agree - I can't see them releasing the back stand-alone anytime soon - too many XCD lens sales in the offing (I had no intention of getting any XCD lens either - but I now have a new 45P and second-hand 80 - bloody hell!)

Reactions: elm

Godfrey

That was my original idea as well . But as the 4/45P Lens is rather cheap and good , I could not resist . I don‘t know if Dante was involved here .
Now the 907x/45P kit is my new SWC .
Well, for me the 907x + XCD 21mm is my new SWC, but I get your meaning. The 45P lens is a delightful "use it all the time" piece.

Godfrey

I went out carrying the 907x today fitted with an Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8 to test out. I like it, but I like the 80-90mm focal length better so when it's time to buy another lens, it'll likely be one of those.

Now and however, I was shooting a photo of this house across a busy street and a few time a car intruded into the frame. Ah, the joys of an electronic shutter with 300ms readout speed...

Lartigue has nothing on me! :)

G

Godfrey

Whatever works best for you is all that matters! :)

Part of my enjoyment of the 907x is that I have wanted a Hasselblad SWC-like camera that was all digital for some years. The 907x fitted with the 21mm lens and set to square crop finally achieves that, for me, with very similar FoV and rendering qualities, and much more similar DoF than anything I've been able to cobble together in smaller formats. The rest of my use, initially, was always going to be for the back on my 500CM body.

The 45P lens changed that notion, for me. It's so small, light, and handy ... performs so well at a very reasonable price ... that I've been using it on the 907x more than any other Hasselblad kit for a while. I figure one more XCD lens will do it for me, and I'm taking my time trying out different focal lengths with adapted lenses to determine just exactly which lens I will go for next year.

The real boon to me, now, is that I can choose to shoot with just the 907x and obtain all super, full digital workflow and results. OR, I can mix and work classic V system film and digital media while carrying only one body and set of lenses. It's a two sided plus equation...

G

Godfrey

Experimenting with a longer lens on the 907x the other day:

Spike - Santa Clara 2020
Hasselblad 907x + Leitz Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8
ISO 800 @ f/4 @ 1/100

The Elmarit-R 135mm works very well on the full frame. Just a tiny bit of corner darkening, which cleans up nicely one stop down from wide open.

enjoy! G

Last edited:

Godfrey

Another little bunch of photos from the same walk as "Spike" (... was "Frond" but that seemed incorrect... :)). Anywho:

Living Bouquet - Santa Clara 2020

Gate on Iron Fence - Santa Clara 2020

Yard Sale Boxes and Shelves - Santa Clara 2020

Sign Shadow on Garage - Santa Clara 2020

Chair, Pool, Reflection - Santa Clara 2020

All: Hasselblad 907x + Leitz Elmarit-R 135m f/2.8[/I]​

Enjoy! G

Godfrey

I don't have a PME90 prism finder to experiment with.

The top of the CFVII 50c back, looked at from the side, starts to curve downwards about 32mm past the body/back joining. Maybe that helps you visualize whether the PME90 provides enough clearance to use with it...?

I'd recommend sending Hasselblad Customer Support a note to ask about compatibility of that finder with the CFVII 50c. If nothing else, they should have both in hand to try it... :)

G

FloatingLens

Yep, I had one with my CFV50C. B&H stocks them so I will likely order another one once I get a CFV back again. Worst case I can take one of my 8 Acute Matte screens and use a sharpie. Thanks for confirming the clearance of the PME 90, it's essential for use with the back for vertical shots.
You're welcome! For sure this is the way to go for vertical.

One caveat though, the PME back ejection system forces a slight push on the CFV lever. This creates some play as the prongs of the body are angled to always engage the back fully when the lever is not pushed – in my case. I am concerned that because of this the CFV might not be perfectly flush against the 500C/M body in this setup. Nitpicking perhaps. Could be an issue for closeups.

All of that said, in reality I have not yet observed sharpness falloff in conjunction with the PME90. YMMV.

Godfrey

One caveat though, the PME back ejection system forces a slight push on the CFV lever. This creates some play as the prongs of the body are angled to always engage the back fully when the lever is not pushed – in my case. I am concerned that because of this the CFV might not be perfectly flush against the 500C/M body in this setup. Nitpicking perhaps. Could be an issue for closeups. ...
Since I don't have this finder and likely won't in the future, this is just a theoretical conjecture ... Do you think there's enough material in the PME90 housing to be able to file or mill it out for a little more clearance so that it will not contact the back's release lever?

And yes on the 3042264 screen. I bought one and have it fitted to my black 500CM body. It makes a difference. When I'm feeling a little more flush, I might order another for the chrome body: It'd be nice to have the same screen in both bodies, although a bit of a luxury.

G