The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

scho

Enjoying the craziness of 2020 where we are having a nor'easter and having accumulation of snow that we have not seen in several years! Happy holidays to everyone and looking forward to turning the page into a new year!
Yes indeed. That storm came through here last night and left us with 13 inches of snow this morning, but just to our south in Binghamton, NY they had 42 inches.

s

elm

I am really enjoying my 907x 50c + 45P. Compact and well balanced. Love the 45P! (What an wonderful $7500 point and shoot camera when it is used as a nice walk around to record the mundane things in life! Even in 2020--during this Pandemic stricken year.)
12-17-2020_0259.jpg

budfox

I have to get off my duff and finish the left hand grip I've been working on, very slowly. :)

If I had any faith that a full 56x56 format back which would work well with the Biogon 38mm f/4.5 T* lens would be available at some time soon and at a price that I could afford, I'd not have sold my SWC. Sigh; I don't. I used the money from selling the SWC to help fund the 907x and XCD 21mm lens, and I'm happy with that combination. :)

G
Godfrey,
You may be interested to know that with the SWC, the CVF 50C II back sticks out just slightly more than a film back such that looking through the optical viewfinder of the SWC is somewhat uncomfortable. You have to angle your face slightly downwards. Do-able, but not as nice as using a film back.

Godfrey

I'm aware of that ... I had the opportunity to try my CFVII 50c on my friend's SWC a couple of weekends ago. I didn't find it to be that difficult to see through the viewfinder, it worked pretty well.

I snapped a photos of him with the SWC and he snapped a few photos of me. They were on his memory card, so he sent me the exposures.

Richard - Byxbee Park 2020

Godfrey - Byxbee Park 2020

The CFVII 50c performs well on the SWC, but after all is said an done, with the 33x44 format, the fabulous super wide Biogon 38mm isn't that much wider than the XCD 45P and they perform about on par. It is fun to see that even the SWC works so nicely with the CFVII 50c. :D

G

budfox

Noted Godfrey.
Since you seem the most informed about the 907X, can you confirm that the 907X with XCD lenses has no AE-L function? And you therefore need the grip to have that function.
thanks.

Godfrey

Yes: You do not have auto-exposure lock and must switch to manual exposure to lock an exposure setting across multiple exposures and framings. The Control Grip provides this function when you configure one of the buttons for AE-L.

Godfrey

Last evening, I had the time to pull out my Leitz Macro-Elmar-R 100mm f/4 and Focusing Bellows-R set to test them on the 907x.

First hurdle was testing for compatibility with the Fotodiox Pro Leica R to Hasselblad X mount adapter, which has a built-in Arca-Swiss tripod foot. Happily, the foot just clears the back of the bellows unit (about .2mm to spare!) so the combination is usable. :)

I tested with a series of exposures from wide open to f/11 at several distance settings and am delighted to say that this lens performs beautifully on the full 33x44 format. No vignetting and virtually no corner darkening beyond what it normally exhibits on a 24x36mm frame when wide open, and superbly sharp imaging from corner to corner across the field of view. Using this 100mm lens with the Focusing Bellows-R nets tremendous flexibility: focusing range is from infinity down to 1:1, and the bellows unit has both a built-in micro-focusing rail and both mm extension and magnification scales for the 100mm lens. (The bellows has magnification scales for both 90mm and 135mm lenses as well.) It also allows rotation of the body by 90° on the bellows unit and a quick mechanism to hold the aperture open for focusing, and stop it down for exposure, without changing the aperture ring setting.

A very nice piece of kit to use with the 907x, presuming static subjects that are appropriate for eshutter capture. :)
Now I have to go off and make some photos with it...

G

Godfrey

I decided that yesterday was a "walk and shoot" day with the Hasselblad 500CM. So I fitted the ancient Sonnar 150mm f/4 and the CFVII 50c digital back, stuffed my PD Travel Tripod into a shoulder bag and put a neck strap on the camera, and headed out for a hour and a half walk around the neighborhood.

Coming up on the end of the walk, I stopped at the cafe to grab a cup of coffee to have with my lunch and walked over to the stone bench near the fountain by the cafe. The sky was a clear pale blue, a bit of mist up there, but just barely visible was the quarter Moon. "Hmm, I wonder how big that will image onto the medium format digital sensor with this 150mm lens...?"

So I stuck the camera onto the tripod, set the lens to infinity and f/5.6 (or f/8...?) and the shutter to about 1/125 (1/250 ..?) and snapped a photo using my cable release. Using some post-processing to make the Moon as visible as possible smashed the pale blue to nearly black ...

Quarter Moon - Santa Clara 2020

It's a pretty small image of the Moon. But as I looked at it on my computer display last evening, I thought I saw enough structure on the face of the Moon and decided to crop down to it for a better look...

Quarter Moon - Santa Clara 2020 (cropped)
Hasselblad 500CM + Sonnar 150mm f/4
CFVII 50c digital back
ISO 400 @ f/5.6 @ 1/125 (est)

LOL! I don't think I'm going to believe anyone who tells me that "those old Hasselblad lenses don't have enough resolution for the digital backs!" any more. :D

enjoy!
G

"No matter where you go, there you are."

bythewei

So this bad boy arrived just in time for Christmas. I've used the Contax CY 50mm f1.4 on my GFX system before but I think it is much more compatible with the 907X (looks-wise).

Center sharpness is acceptable wide-open, provided you can nail it. Sharpens up really well at f4/f5.6. I've never been concerned with corner sharpness in 16 years of my photography journey so I didn't check that.

Vignetting is acceptable and correctable at close distance. Near infinity, you will have to toggle the vignetting slider to +2.0 or +3.0 (C1P) or crop 4:5 to be clean. Overall not an issue for the things I shoot.

Raw files of simple sharpness test (f/1.4 & f/5.6) and vignetting (MFD & infinity) here, free for everyone to evaluate: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yGv0xDTKDuNNSHMS2-U-PDEWkYUcBVrD?usp=sharing

Contax CY 50MM f14.png

I finally managed to get my hands on a Minolta MD to X1D adaptor, pending shipping. Can't wait to adapt my 55mm f/1.7, 45mm f/2 and 100mm f/2.5.

Reactions: spb

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Congrats . Hopefully your 907x is flawless . But you can only check that , when you use an XCD lens , due to the contacts (if functional)
With third party lenses the CFV II 50c behaves like it would be attached to a V-SYSTEM camera . And there the CFV works fine .

bythewei

Congrats . Hopefully your 907x is flawless . But you can only check that , when you use an XCD lens , due to the contacts (if functional)
With third party lenses the CFV II 50c behaves like it would be attached to a V-SYSTEM camera . And there the CFV works fine .
I had a 45P, which I returned 3 weeks later. The output is great, but autofocus takes forever to lock focus, and at f/4 it is too slow for me.

I’ll probably consider a 65mm XCD in 2021, but right now I’m having too much fun with my adapted lenses.

Godfrey

So this bad boy arrived just in time for Christmas. I've used the Contax CY 50mm f1.4 on my GFX system before but I think it is much more compatible with the 907X (looks-wise).

Center sharpness is acceptable wide-open, provided you can nail it. Sharpens up really well at f4/f5.6. I've never been concerned with corner sharpness in 16 years of my photography journey so I didn't check that.

Vignetting is acceptable and correctable at close distance. Near infinity, you will have to toggle the vignetting slider to +2.0 or +3.0 (C1P) or crop 4:5 to be clean. Overall not an issue for the things I shoot.

Raw files of simple sharpness test (f/1.4 & f/5.6) and vignetting (MFD & infinity) here, free for everyone to evaluate: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yGv0xDTKDuNNSHMS2-U-PDEWkYUcBVrD?usp=sharing

View attachment 179774

I finally managed to get my hands on a Minolta MD to X1D adaptor, pending shipping. Can't wait to adapt my 55mm f/1.7, 45mm f/2 and 100mm f/2.5.
Good, enjoy it. I'll look at your test exposures a little later. (I may replicate your tests with a Summilux-R 50, Summicron-R 50, and Summicron-M 50, just to see how they differ. :) )

What I'm interested to see is what kinds of photos you're going to make at f/1.4-f/2.8 ... That's very shallow depth of field for a 33x44 mm format! :)

G

Hausen

So I decided that I have always been happiest with one camera and one lens so the 35-75 arrived yesterday and I will exit my 21-45-120. Been out this morning with a small bag with just my H&Y filters and 907x + 35-75 and it was heaven. Shot my version of a Christmas tree and as it is Christmas Eve here in NZ, Merry Christmas everyone.Xmas tree.jpg

Godfrey

I saw this lovely little Lotus Elise on my walk the other day and snapped a front-top-down photo of it ... I had a wide lens and didn't really like the other views of the car with the wide lens.

So I saw it again the other day when I was walking with the Sonnar 150mm lens and took the opportunity.

Pretty car; I'd love to borrow one to play with for a bit. :)

enjoy!
G

bythewei

It's finally here! This Novoflex Minolta X1D adaptor is so difficult to find online, it took me months to actually purchase one.

I've used Minolta lenses with my GFX system and I loved them to bits. This Minolta Rokkor 55mm f/1.7 became my favourite lens with the 44x33 because of my 4 evaluation criteria - sharp, cheap, fast & character. You can learn more about adapting Minolta lenses on 4433 sensors via Jonas Rask's excellent article.

Some sample photos coming up!

Minolta X1D adaptor.png

Godfrey

That's a nice old lens ... I remember it from when my friend in high school bought a Minolta SRT-101! It's a very classic looking lens too.
The imaging looks nice ... A little barrel distortion evident in the upper photo, a little corner darkening.

But very nice overall! You're motivating me to experiment with my Leica R 50/1.4 a bit more. :D

Paratom

Congrats. The 35-75 has become my fav and most used lens, followed by the 80/1.9. Even if the range of the 35-75 is somewhat limited this lens is so good and flexible that I really enjoy it on my x1dII. How does it balance on the 907x? I woul expect to bequite front heavy? I evaluate to add a 907x to my Hasselblad kit.