The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

spb

Staff member
I do that with the costly stuff, can't afford to keep relatively new, expensive digital cameras sitting on a shelf—all they're doing is losing value that way. However, I have just six digital cameras ... I have way more film cameras of all different kinds. While very high quality and desirable to me, they often have no appreciable resale value.

G
Your approach makes sense Godfrey.

Paratom

I also traded in some equipment when buying the 907x. And some is now on ebay.
It is still a ton. I wouldnt sell my old M6, or the Nikon F6.
But its so much choices I own, that it allmost confuses me and my goal is more simplicity.

Arjuna

One quick question, I set the crop to square expecting it to be like my Nikon Z7 in that is what the camera writes to the card and that is not the case with the 907X 50C? All my images came back regular aspect ratio so that is a bit of an unexpected waste of storage. Am I doing something wrong?
Assuming that it is the same as an X1D, if you open it in Phocus, the crop is honoured, but the file has the full sensor image. This allows you to adjust the crop during post-processing. I presume that the crop is written in the file metadata, which Phocus recognizes, but other software doesn't.

Hi and a happy new year to everyone!

there were some thoughts in this thread about a left hand grip for the 907x and just in case it is still helpful to anyone: This is my solution and it really is a joy to use, can be mounted in seconds and gives me a L bracket on top. It is a 3 Legged Thing Ellie PD and a grip from Camvate or HDrig (Wholesae HDRig QR Arca style wooden grip)

Kind regards

Wolfgang

IMG_0458.jpeg

IMG_0455.jpegIMG_0456.jpeg

o

Godfrey

Holidays being over, it was time for the annual "take down the decorations, pack 'em away, record the cards and letters..." exercise.

I set the 907x up on my copy stand with the Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm fitted. Hmm, the touch screen isn't responding correctly. Oh yeah: the spirit level bug that I reported way back in March ... it only happens when I have the camera on a copy stand pointed straight down. I presume this is an improperly initialized position sensor chip. I forced initialization by setting a custom level setting, and the problem disappeared. Again. LOL! I'll report there's still a problem to Anthony at Hasselblad in the morning. :)

Anyway, I then set the height and focus and captured all the cards and envelopes. 290 exposures ... battery now down to 30%. Hmm. While I had the camera set up for flat art capture, I captured all the instant prints that have been waiting for a copy and scan session. I swapped to a fresh battery, reconfigured the setup for the instant print sizing, and captured another 200 or so of them. That pulled the fresh battery down to about half so I charged both the first and the second batteries up again after I was done, with my third in the camera.

The results are great! The 907x is a pretty darn nice copy camera to work with.

Construction Fence Against Sunset - Santa Clara 2020
Polaroid SLR670x by MiNT
Polaroid 600 Color
Scanned with Hasselblad 907x + Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8

Enjoy!
G

Godfrey

Hi and a happy new year to everyone!

there were some thoughts in this thread about a left hand grip for the 907x and just in case it is still helpful to anyone: This is my solution and it really is a joy to use, can be mounted in seconds and gives me a L bracket on top. It is a 3 Legged Thing Ellie PD and a grip from Camvate or HDrig (Wholesae HDRig QR Arca style wooden grip)

Kind regards
Wolfgang
Hi Wolfgang! Happy New Year!

That grip looks good.. They make a couple of different grip shapes too, there's a slightly smaller one that looks right for what I want.

For my purposes, I'd like it to be angled forward about 40-50 degrees for a 'waist level' grip position. I was meandering around the Camvate and HDrig sites and there seems to be a Rosette mount that would do what I want, but I don't see that coupled to an Arca Swiss type clamp ... I'll contact them and see what can be put together that works the way I want.

My project to make one of these myself has been on the back burner for a bit but I have everything but the wooden grip itself already. However, making and fitting the grip is a good bit of work ... If I can find something already made that works and isn't too expensive, it will expedite my finishing the project. :)

G

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Godfrey

You could have a look for a wooden lefthand grip from CAMBO and also ALPA . From ALPA also in black .
Not quite cheap but might fit perfect . And they look beautiful .
On eBay you will also find chinese grips when using ALPA 12 as search argument .

cgastelum

I use a Small Rig left grip that attaches to the L bracket. The main reason I selected this one was for the cold shoe, so I can mount a flash or a trigger to the 907x.

IMG_2983.jpg

(SMALLRIG Wooden Side Handle Compatible with Arca Standard for L-Bracket L-Plate - HSN2399)

Godfrey

Suitable hunting around the CAMVATE products and I found a left grip with Rosette male mount that looks like it will work for me as well as a female Rosette mount that can bolt to my RRS B2-FABN-Micro Arca Swiss clamp with minimal fussing about. The two parts together were reasonably priced, so I've ordered and we'll see what they're like when they arrive.

It's really important to me that the grip have an adjustable angle ... my biggest grip with the standard Control Grip is that it's straight up and down: fine for eye level work, a pain for low angle work—the way I use the camera most. I'd love to be able to rotate it forward about 45 degrees for a more comfortable and secure grip.

G

Godfrey

Yes, that's very close ... It looks just about like what I'm envisaging with the bits I've ordered, except that the grip/Rosette/clamp affixes to the DAL-1 L-bracket (and I can remove the grip at the QR clamp and use the L-bracket for portrait orientation shots on a tripod too).

All good stuff!

G

Hi Godfrey,

Great idea, I think that's what you where thinking of. The only thing that puzzles me is the fact that the grip is about 4cm more away from the camera and so the combo feels remarkable heavier.

Kind regards

Wolfgang

IMG_0462.jpegIMG_0463.jpegIMG_0464.jpegIMG_0465.jpegIMG_0466.jpeg

Godfrey

Thanks for that! Shows some of the trade offs nicely.

The CAMVATE female Rosette I found is thinner than the one you show in these photos and will mount to the RRS clamp at an offset, which can be compensated for by positioning the clamp higher on the L-bracket:

In the event that it spaces the grip and such too far from the 907x camera body, I can use it to determine the proper angle and than make a very thin bracket to bolt the wooden grip with minimum offset to the clamp. That eschews the adjustability, but basically once I know precisely the range of angles that willl work for what I want, I'll likely only rarely need the adjustability.

The LH grip I ordered is the simpler one ... it's just the male Rosette on a simple pedestal that is bolted to the grip without the plate with multiple mount points as in your photo. That means it should be lighter and easier to make a simplified replacement for in the event that I want to reduce the size and weight of the assembly.

It seemed evident to me that the closer and tighter to the body I can place the grip, beyond having enough space for my fingers, the better it will be. Getting there is the tricky part of the whole endeavor... :D

G

Last edited:

bythewei

Ok so some new toy arrived in the mail. Chinese-made M42 to X1D adaptor and a Zeiss Biotar 58mm f2. Meant to get the adaptor to pair with some Pentax Super Takumar glass but bought the Biotar on impulse. Took a quick shot of my kid at home. Has easily-correctable vignetting at close up but in most cases I tend to leave it there. Also, the adaptor is really well made. Not too bad for US80 :ROFLMAO:

m42 adaptor.png

adaptor top view.png

Godfrey

Ok so some new toy arrived in the mail. Chinese-made M42 to X1D adaptor and a Zeiss Biotar 58mm f2. Meant to get the adaptor to pair with some Pentax Super Takumar glass but bought the Biotar on impulse. Took a quick shot of my kid at home. Has easily-correctable vignetting at close up but in most cases I tend to leave it there. Also, the adaptor is really well made. Not too bad for US80 :ROFLMAO:
You're inspiring me ... I have to dig out the adapters so I can fit my uncoated 1939 Zeiss 40mm f/2 (Berning Robot mount to LTM to M-Bayonet to X) and see what the lens does on the larger format. It's either a Sonnar or a Biotar. :)

G

elm

Hoping all of you are having a better 2021 than a 2020!

Having lots of fun with my kit and wishing we all come out of this tunnel being in a better world and a better place going forward. Be Safe and be well! (Christmas at Longwood Gardents, Kennett Square PA USA)

907x 50C II_B_0341.jpg

spb

Staff member
Well we have our first real snow here in my area this winter today. Getting thicker by the minute. Quadropod and MiniConnect from Novoflex works well with this camera. I don't usually use the Grip as well when on tripod, this was just a test to see what it is like. I think I prefer bare camera when on tripod. Walking around definitely with Grip and strap. All XCD 30mm. Next images coming with XCD 90mm.14.01.21_snow_0011.jpg14.01.21_snow_0009.jpg14.01.21_snow_0002.jpgIMG_1354.jpeg

Last edited:

Godfrey

I just found about 20 Hasselblad 907x images that were lingering in my catalog for upload that I made last year. 13 or so of them were in the short video presentation I posted here some time back ... Well, that's too much 'old' work to post as a bunch, and I'd rather move on to newer stuff. But if you want to browse through the stills, they're on flickr.com at this album:

In other news, my left side grip project: the female CAMVATE Rosette mount I ordered arrived yesterday. It's encouragingly compact and fits the RRS micro-clamp with minimal standoff, so I look forward to the CAMVATE grip and male Rosette to arrive ... should be this coming week. :) Fun fun fun!

G