The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

Godfrey

Some progress on my "left side grip" project for the 907x: All the bits are in. I had to source a different pair of bolts to fix the female side Rosette to the RRS mini-clamp (the original button-headed ones had heads too wide for the mini-clamp's threaded bosses' spacing); I went with a pair of 1/4x20 - 1/2" cap screws. They work well.

The CAMVATE grip I ordered arrived and it also works well, with the issue that was mentioned: The grip is spaced a bit far from the body. Here are a few photos:

I've walked about with this and done some shooting with both the 21 and 45P, and it works, it's just a bit farther from the body than I'd prefer.

Poking around on another site specializing in grips of this sort, I found a SmallGrip with Rosette that is styled a little differently and basically bolts the Rosette in closer to the grip palm. I've ordered one of those; it should provide this spacing once bolted up. Here's a mockup of how it will look with the SmallGrip based on the dimensions provided for that:

That may well be just right; it's the same grip that Wolfgang showed above.

However, examining the CAMVATE grip a little further, I have discovered that I can remove the Rosette bracket from the wooden handle and the Rosette from the bracket. If I then drill and helicoil four threaded fittings into the grip handle itself, and provide a seat for the Rosette center M6x1 threaded bolt on the other side, I can likely achieve an even tighter fit to the body, like this mockup:

That might actually be too close, without enough finger room, but it's possible to do it. Getting the fit and the bits just right is fun, and all this equipment is very nice quality at a very reasonable price. Just with the present setup as pictured in the first four images above, the camera is much easier to hold steady and secure at waist level.

Now to go make some photographs. :)

G

Paratom

Just wanted to come back with some more 907x experience. I enjoy this camera more than I believed I would. Shooting with the display like a tradional WLF is really really fun. I now also have a 65mm lens, which also fits great (size wise). The 80 or zoom is a little too big and heavy for the 907x, I would rather use it on the x1dII.
I am quite happy with the Hassy system. The files come out very good without much if any postprocessing, the color looks great in most types of light, the exp metering works well and I get along very good with the simple user interface. Even moving the focus point o the touch screen works better than I expected.
Summary. great camera!!!

Godfrey

... I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the 907x so much!

Another thing I used for the first time the other day was the on-LCD point selector for white balance. The white balance in my office is generally really difficult, with a mix of sunlight coming through argon-filled, IR reflective double pane windows, and a mix of warm LED and compact fluorescent lighting fixtures. When I was doing my ISO testing, I had the tri-tone test chart up. After shooting one set at the Tungsten setting that all looks blue and dim, I figured I'd try the WB point selector on the gray part of the chart. The results on the LCD were *perfect*, and LRClassic's default processing of the raw files was *perfect* with respect to color balance as well ... no adjustment needed at all.

It really is a delightful little box!

I decided to go with the XCD 90mm f/3.2 lens as my third native lens (21, 45P, and 90 seems a good setup; I have plenty of adapted macro stuff, so I'll wait on that purchase) as it seems to me my eye is liking longer-than-normal focal lengths at present. One of our other GetDPI forum participants had one available, I'm buying it from him. Can't wait for it to arrive now... :D

G

Godfrey

Follow up on my grip project: The SmallGrip I ordered arrived today. Fitting it to the camera with my Rosette and RRS micro-clamp setup works very nicely, it pulls the grip in about 3/4-1" closer to the body as I'd hoped and feels just right. I think I'm done with this project, I'll photograph the camera so fitted tomorrow. :D

Now to go make some photographs *with* it too... LOL!

ajayc

A very long time lurker and a first time medium format shooter. I recently acquired a Hasselblad 907x / CFV II 50C and couldn't have been happier with the results. Otherwise a Leica Q2 goes everywhere. What a wonderful system and the image quality is just off the charts. I used to design iPhone camera sensors for a living till that not long ago, so, know a thing or two about camera sensor design. 12-bit to 14-bit is wow!!

I hope to post more often in this forum.

Attachments

Godfrey

My left-sided grip set up for waist level shooting with the 907x is completed. I wandered about the condo the other day with the XCD 21 (and later the XCD 45P) testing it with longish exposure times (1/10 second or so) and the resulting improvements in camera stability are very pleasing.

A Candle On The Table - Santa Clara 2021
Hasselblad 907x + XCD 21mm f/4
ISO 800, f/4, 1/13

Enjoy!
G

Godfrey

This is my finished "left side grip" set up to allow more stable and comfortable waist level, hand-held shooting with the 907x. I have the Hasselblad Control Grip for the camera, which is great for eye level shooting and has full control capabilities on it, but the angle of the grip doesn't really lend itself to waist level use, which the 907x is ideal for.

The set up uses a Desmond L-bracket, a Really Right Stuff mini Arca-Swiss clamp, an Arri female Rosette on a thin offset bracket, and a SmallRig left-hand grip with Arri male Rosette. Total cost is about $200. The grip can be removed quickly by loosening the RRS grip and sliding it off, then you have a tight L bracket in place for tripod work by default.

I also worked it so that there's plenty of room for the Peak Design anchors to feed out on the left side for use with a neck strap.

On Flickr: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmU4o1ia

enjoy! G

Godfrey

thanks! It feels good in the hand too. :)
I was going out the door to play with it today ... when the sky opened up and dumped rain down. I retreated. Oh well, perhaps tomorrow.

PSS

This is my finished "left side grip" set up to allow more stable and comfortable waist level, hand-held shooting with the 907x. I have the Hasselblad Control Grip for the camera, which is great for eye level shooting and has full control capabilities on it, but the angle of the grip doesn't really lend itself to waist level use, which the 907x is ideal for.

The set up uses a Desmond L-bracket, a Really Right Stuff mini Arca-Swiss clamp, an Arri female Rosette on a thin offset bracket, and a SmallRig left-hand grip with Arri male Rosette. Total cost is about $200. The grip can be removed quickly by loosening the RRS grip and sliding it off, then you have a tight L bracket in place for tripod work by default.

I also worked it so that there's plenty of room for the Peak Design anchors to feed out on the left side for use with a neck strap.

enjoy! G
this covers the USB C connection/tethering port?

Godfrey

Technically no, the port is to the rear of the attaching hardware and I can sneak a cable in with a little difficulty. I could also re-arrange how the attaching hardware is configured to make it more accessible.

However, I cannot think of a single situation where I would use the USB-C port with a grip designed to aid waist-level, hand-held shooting with the camera...?? The grip assembly is also designed to be very quickly removable and replaceable, so if I needed wired tethering to move some files, I'd just remove the grip for that operation and put it back afterwards.

G

Last edited:

PSS

I personally don't need a grip for waist level shooting and do shoot handheld tethered quite a bit but I have a peak design qickadapter on the 907 and on the X1DII at all times (I do like the small size) but had to come up with a vertical solution when shooting on tripod, especially through a ring flash which can only be mounted horizontally which required a L bracket and quiuckmount on that......I wish peak design would make quick mounts for their little plates, they make the ones you can mount on your straps (or belt....) which are great and the plates snap in nicely, but I would like some I could mount on a tripod or L bracket.....I guess I could write them....

bythewei

enjoy! G
Nice grip there! Have you tried this setup but paired with adapted lenses?