The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

Godfrey

I went out with the camera and grip last evening, first real shoot with the seup, fitted with XCD 21mm lens. Unfortunately, I was a bit later than I'd hoped so had to use my tripod for the exposure times I was facing. But sighting/seeing/setting exposure/focusing manually using the grip before setting it on the tripod for the exposure worked beautifully.

bythewei: I will for sure pair up the camera+grip with some adapted lenses (V system or Leica R, most likely). It just takes a little time to get there because I'm not a "carry everything at once and shoot a thousand frames every day" kind of photographer ... I made about 21 exposures last evening, have just selected about 10 of them to finish render and post later today. :)

Oh yes, and the area I was shooting in is a gold mine for photographic opportunities. I'll be going back over and over again, over time. :D

G

Godfrey

So yesterday the XCD 90mm f/3.2 lens arrived... I fitted the grip and the lens, went out for a walk about 30 minutes before sunset.

- I'm glad I didn't go for the 80/1.9, it would have been too heavy/large for a casual walk like that.
- My gosh, what lovely rendering qualities this lens has! Sharp when you want it, wonderful OOF blur, etc.

So now I have two sets to finish and post; my grip worked very nicely; the lens is outstanding. That's a nice trio of bullet summaries! :D

I may do a comparison shoot between the XCD 90, the Summicron-R 90, and the M-Rokkor 90 (aka Summicron-C 90) lenses. Just for the fun of it. The adapted lenses are both old favorites, it will be interesting to see how the XCD 90 compares on certain kinds of subject matter.

More photos soon...
G

Godfrey

Not really a part of any set, this "door in an archway" came to my attention as I was walking back home after walking for two hours. I was tired, the light and the door looked very interesting, and I did everything wrong: didn't focus accurately, left the lens stopped down as it had been when shooting earlier, when the sun was much higher in the sky, and all that.

The lack of camera motion in the blurred details is obvious to my eye only when I examine the original exposure in detail at full 100% display mode. That says to me that my custom grip works properly ... being able to achieve that kind of stability with a 90mm lens at a half second exposure says I'm able to hold the camera very still.

When I scanned through the photos I'd made that day, this exposure popped out at me as being unique and different, pleasing in a completely different way. The lack of fine detail suggesting form and shape rather than articulating texture, the light was just right, and monochrome rendering was all that was needed.

Door in Arch - Santa Clara 2021
Hasselblad 907x + XCD 90mm f/3.2
ISO 1600 @ f/5.6 @ 0.5 sec

It is more the archetype of a door in an archway than a specific door in an arch, a pattern brief rather than a documentary example.

Your thoughts, thank you!

G

Godfrey

On Wednesday evenings, my routine for some months now has been to go to the Japan town district in San Jose and pick up takeout Mexican food for dinner or eat in the outdoor dining area when that's been available (and it's warm enough!). Every time I've been there are the sun went down and the lights came up, I've said to myself, "I've got to get down here with a camera..."

So last Wednesday, I fitted the 907X with the XCD 21mm lens and drove down just before sunset. Well, I thought it would be just before sunset, but I was delayed and the sun had already set ... I was going to be testing out the custom grip I rigged up for the camera, but thankfully I had my PD Travel Tripod with me. :D

I only had time for a shortish walk, about a half hour or so, but I can see I need to go do this a few more times. Here are ten photos, all with the 21mm lens at about ISO 1600 and about f/5.6-f/6.8 ... I hope you enjoy them!

Japan Town - San Jose 2021

Lantern, Lamp - San Jose 2021

Omogari - San Jose 2021

Haircut - San Jose 2021

Taqueria Corona - San Jose 2021

Open For Outdoor Dining - San Jose 2021

Service At The Table - San Jose 2021

Float Addicts - San Jose 2021

They Watch The Corner - San Jose 2021

The World War II Memorial - San Jose 2021

This set (and higher resolution renderings) can be viewed on Flickr: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmU95Yh5

Enjoy! G

ajayc

Some from San Francisco, CA. I am still figuring out downsizing and sharpening methods work for web sharing. The quality of the images that appear here is not what I see with the raw files or my final output. If any of you wonderful people have any techniques and willing to share, I will be much obliged. Thank you.

B0000064.jpg

the Bay bridge, San Francisco.B0000066.jpgB0000064.jpgB0000032.jpg

B0000066.jpg
Ferry Building Farmers Market

B0000032.jpg
the Bay bridge, San Francisco.

Godfrey

This is a first little set of photos made with the XCD 90mm f/3.2 on my neighborhood walk in Santa Clara the other day. My custom grip setup really helps me hold the camera still, the lens is delightful to use as well!

Hedge

Electrical Box

Lock and Fence

Cyclist

Surreptitious Listening

Fence Lines

Pickets

Bursting Out Greenery

Feeder

Flag

Poppy

Photos can be seen (at higher resolution) on Flickr: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmUcnzJY

I hope you enjoy! Comments always appreciated. :)

G

Godfrey

Not technically 907x, but 500CM with the CFVII 50c ...
I decided to run a roll of film through the A16 back I acquired for my Hasselblad 500CM and, on a lark, I figured I'd carry the digital back (CFVII 50c) as well and trade off between them for a few photos illustrating the differences.

I'm only about half way through the roll of film so I'll finish that up another day, but of course I looked at the photos made on the digital back immediately. This one appealed to me...

Flamingo Hunt - Santa Clara 2021
Hasselblad 500CM + CFVII 50c + Planar 80mm f/2.8 T*
ISO 400 @ f/8 @ 1/60

enjoy!
G

Godfrey

Not technically 907x, but 500CM with the CFVII 50c ...
I decided to run a roll of film through the A16 back I acquired for my Hasselblad 500CM and, on a lark, I figured I'd carry the digital back (CFVII 50c) as well and trade off between them for a few photos illustrating the differences.

I'm only about half way through the roll of film so I'll finish that up another day, but of course I looked at the photos made on the digital back immediately. This one appealed to me...
Following up... When I re-fitted the A16 back to the 500CM on Sunday and went to pull out the dark slide for the second half of the roll, the dark slide caught halfway out: would not easily slide in either direction. I figured the light seal was toast and that I stood less chance of damaging the slide if I forced it out than if I forced it back in, so I pulled hard and smoothly to force it out. A chunk of the light seal came out with it. I put a piece of tape over the dark slide slot and carried the camera fitted with Makro-Planar 120mm for the remaining 8 exposures. The film is on my desk to process today... Lessee what's there and how much of a light leak there's been.

The trials of working with forty-three year old equipment ... LOL! No big deal, really. I sent a note to David Odess... The A16 will ship to him today (the Post Office was closed yesterday for the holiday) and be overhauled/refurbished. 👍 Such it is.

G

Post-script: Film processed and drying. The seal was well-blown, allowing light to blast across half the negative area. Eh, such it is. There might be a few partial frames with decent images.

Mechanically otherwise, the back performed very nicely. It's on its way to David for a CLA, new seals, etc.

Here's what the film blasted by a bad dark slide light seal looks like:

I'll scan it anyway and see if there's anything retrievable... "hope springs eternal" category, eh? :D

Last edited:

Godfrey

Following up... again. LOL! :)

As said before in this thread... "Here's what the film blasted by a bad dark slide light seal looks like...
I'll scan it anyway and see if there's anything retrievable... "hope springs eternal" category, eh? :D "
I scanned and found four photos in that mess that I enjoy a lot, and two of them that I really like due to their eerie, haunting feel ... The set is on Flickr at https://flic.kr/s/aHsmUmYkVW. The two I like the most:

Tree - Santa Clara 2021

House - Santa Clara 2021

Fun fun fun ...!

G

scho

Two more images taken yesterday while I was playing with the 907x/50cII and a Canon TS-E 24/3.5 II lens in a Cambo adapter. The adapter has a small control wheel that allows aperture adjustment with EF lenses and it also writes all lens data to exif. All of these images were made with about 1.5 degrees tilt dialed in on the lens.