The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

Godfrey

My most recent use of the 907x was to copy five packs of Polaroid SX70 prints. AS usual, the 907x did a superb job using a Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm lens on a copy stand, and I must be learning something about getting good exposures with my various Polaroid SLR670a and SLR670x cameras (these are the overhauled and upgraded SX-70 variants from MiNT Camera, capable of using 600 film, manual exposure control too on the x model). I'll be posting some of these soon; I'm not sure this is the best thread for that.

But the exercise pointed out that the problem I'd reported to Hasselblad way back last May-June (in short: while the camera works perfectly whenever hand held or when on a tripod at normal framing angles, pointing it straight down on a copy stand causes the touch screen to malfunction. The workaround I'd found that seemed to solve the issue was to go to the level indication overlay and perform a custom level setting calibration, then it would work correctly. For a long time, this solved the problem and I shelved the annoyance of sending the camera in for evaluation. However, that workaround seems to no longer work with v1.4.0 firmware installed; now, the only way I can control the camera for copy work is to operate it in tethered mode with Phocus Mobile 2, and even then it's more unstable than it ought to be.

So I've re-engaged Hasselblad USA and will likely be sending the body and back off for evaluation and repair. Perhaps they'll have a loaner available for me while it's off being looked at, perhaps not. I dunno, but I think this should get taken care of sooner rather than later now. In the event of not, I guess I'll be shooting a bit more film with the 500CM, eh? ;-)

G

Godfrey

Follow up ... Yes, Hasselblad Sweden wants to see the camera to evaluate issue, so it'll be going to them tomorrow. Hasselblad USA doesn't have any loaners available at this time, so I'll be without for a few weeks. Ah well, I'd rather the problem was resolved and not have to deal with it in the future.

G

My most recent use of the 907x was to copy five packs of Polaroid SX70 prints. AS usual, the 907x did a superb job using a Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm lens on a copy stand, and I must be learning something about getting good exposures with my various Polaroid SLR670a and SLR670x cameras (these are the overhauled and upgraded SX-70 variants from MiNT Camera, capable of using 600 film, manual exposure control too on the x model). I'll be posting some of these soon; I'm not sure this is the best thread for that.

But the exercise pointed out that the problem I'd reported to Hasselblad way back last May-June (in short: while the camera works perfectly whenever hand held or when on a tripod at normal framing angles, pointing it straight down on a copy stand causes the touch screen to malfunction. The workaround I'd found that seemed to solve the issue was to go to the level indication overlay and perform a custom level setting calibration, then it would work correctly. For a long time, this solved the problem and I shelved the annoyance of sending the camera in for evaluation. However, that workaround seems to no longer work with v1.4.0 firmware installed; now, the only way I can control the camera for copy work is to operate it in tethered mode with Phocus Mobile 2, and even then it's more unstable than it ought to be.

So I've re-engaged Hasselblad USA and will likely be sending the body and back off for evaluation and repair. Perhaps they'll have a loaner available for me while it's off being looked at, perhaps not. I dunno, but I think this should get taken care of sooner rather than later now. In the event of not, I guess I'll be shooting a bit more film with the 500CM, eh? ;-)

G

FloatingLens

The photo has some intrigue to me, but I'm curious about the intent of the titling. Can you articulate more what the photo and the title are about? thx!

G
Thanks, Godfrey! The title is about the uncertainty to use that door, nothing too deep in meaning... :)

usm

I don’t know if this right here but I saw some non image posts here:
How to you carry your 907x with the 45p on it?
When I use it with a sling cross my shoulder it always turns upside down and the locking button for the back is on my clothes. So I am afraid that it will open while moving around. It’s a strong button but not really secure.

Thanks.

Godfrey

When I use it with a sling cross my shoulder it always turns upside down and the locking button for the back is on my clothes. So I am afraid that it will open while moving around. It’s a strong button but not really secure.
Fine to ask a brief question in this thread (as far as I'm concerned... :) ).

Mine does the same thing: flips to the tail-down position on the strap. It disturbs me because it means it's easy to drop something onto the front lens surface; never thought about the back release being slid sideways and releasing. (I think that's possible but improbable as a problem since it takes some force to slide it all the way and then hold it there to release the back.) Anyway, I've dealt with it by carrying the 907x in a small bag rather than just slung around my neck and across my body bandolier style. When I fit the Hasselblad control grip and viewfinder, the wider, taller package unbalances the tail-heavy tendency and it tends to sit against my side nose down more naturally. When I fit my custom grip, I can attach the neck strap to the lower eyelet on the RRS mini clamp that's part of that assembly, and that does the same thing.

If the notion the release button catching on clothes and being moved sideways to release the back disturbs you, I'd suggest putting a piece of artist's tape across the release button to hold it and prevent it catching on your clothes. That should do the trick. :)

Note: The 21mm and 90mm lenses are longer and heavier than the 45P. On the strap alone, the camera naturally turns nose down as I'm walking. The same is probably true of the 'standard' 45/3.5 lens.

G

Reactions: usm

masud

I use this one with the 907x — I have both the hand strap and the shoulder strap.

Thanks.

Reactions: usm

steve_cor

From my research, it seems you are correct. There is no way to write the Jpeg and raw files to separate cards. There is an option to shoot

● RAW+JPG

The second SD card is for backup images, or configure it to only be used once the first card gets full.

--Steve.

Godfrey

A Month Without A Hasselblad 907x SE ...

Just got word that my 907x is ready to be sent home from Hasselblad USA. The odd, intermittent problem I've had since new (touch screen operation becomes dysfunctional occasionally when the camera is pointed straight down, as on a copy stand) refused to show itself after a couple of weeks exercising the camera in the hands of the tech support folks. They examined everything, ran all their diagnostics, cleaned everything, et cetera, and nothing showed up: seems to be working perfectly. So it goes with intermittent issues... As long as it is working perfectly, no reason to not just go on using it.

Anyway, it will be good to have it back home, I've missed it. :)

G

anGy

I'm also a very happy owner of the 907x and back. I started using it with the 90mm as my dealer had a 2nd hand one in perfect condition.
A joy to use and a lovely lens. I have no issue using it with the 907x even if many are saying it is easier to use the wider lenses with this setup.

I now received the long awaited out of stock 45mm p lens. My 1st impression is less positive than on the 90mm.
The AF is was slower, louder. The OOF looks less appealing (at the same apertures) than with the 90mm.
I guess I was expecting too much of this tiny, cheap lens.

I also have what looks like to be a technical issue with it: strong underexposed pics when shooting at f4.
Setting the lens at any other aperture returns a correct exposure, making a 1st picture at any other exposure then at f4 also works.
But if I start by framing and shooting a scene at f4 the image is around 2 stops underexposed.
This problem seems only to occur only if bright lights are part of the frame (white chair in the sun, metal reflection, etc).
It happens on both X1DII & 907x cameras so no doubt it comes from the lens.

Any other people having experienced the same behavior ?

Godfrey

I'm back from my trip. 907x due here today, but I'll be out of town today. My partner will receive it for me. So tomorrow I get to use it again! Yay!
LOL!! :D

I haven't seen any issues like that with the XCD 45P, anGy. Personally, I prefer the manual focus feel of the 45P to the feel of the focus by wire lenses, to a small degree. But otherwise it's worked well enough that it's been my most used lens so far; I have no problems with its image rendering, I use it as my standard, "normal" lens at present. Ultimately, I'm finding that I prefer a slightly longer focal length for that so eventually I'll also acquire the XCD 65mm. The XCD 21 and XCD 90 are both higher end performers, but a little more niche use for me.

G

A Month Without A Hasselblad 907x SE ...

Just got word that my 907x is ready to be sent home from Hasselblad USA. The odd, intermittent problem I've had since new (touch screen operation becomes dysfunctional occasionally when the camera is pointed straight down, as on a copy stand) refused to show itself after a couple of weeks exercising the camera in the hands of the tech support folks. They examined everything, ran all their diagnostics, cleaned everything, et cetera, and nothing showed up: seems to be working perfectly. So it goes with intermittent issues... As long as it is working perfectly, no reason to not just go on using it.

Anyway, it will be good to have it back home, I've missed it. :)

anGy

More precisely, regarding the technical issue I have with the 45p: ut underexposes at F4 and if the exposure speed is faster than 1/800s.
Like if the central shutter wasn't able to cope with fast aperture when used at its wider aperture.
I suppose this is not normal and that the lens needs to be fixed 😥

FloatingLens

More precisely, regarding the technical issue I have with the 45p: ut underexposes at F4 and if the exposure speed is faster than 1/800s.
Like if the central shutter wasn't able to cope with fast aperture when used at its wider aperture.
I suppose this is not normal and that the lens needs to be fixed 😥
Could have to do with the True Exposure compensation setting of the 907X.... might be worth checking out in the user's manual.