The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Hasselblad 907x

dierk

pictures shot with the Sinar P

camera tilted for the best focal plane
and shifted left/right in multiple rows in order to cover the whole image, stitched with Lightroom
light from modeling light of two softboxes

image size 20.000x10.000 pixel

B0001658-Pano.jpg

this is made with a more that 100 years old brass lens without shutter and without any brand on it
decades ago I 'unmounted' it from a very old wooden camera of my grandpa but up to now I could not use it, the f-stops are almost unreadable
image size 20.000x14.000 pixel :)

B0001695-Pano.jpg

this one with an lens of my old wooden camera Nagel Doppel Anastigmat 135mmI4.5 in Compur @ f/4.5 open!
just for fun :)
image size 15.000x9.000 pixel
B0001988-Pano.jpg
sorry, the title is too long to fit under the picture

Godfrey

this is not what I mean,
you can not mount it directly on a tripod like the Arca Swiss L Bracket, and that one horizontally and vertically like any L bracket
Well, that's not what you said. You said "... the expensive handgrip from Hasselblad is useless, as it does not include a tripod socket." It does include a tripod socket, and you can fit an Arca Swiss compatible tripod plate to it easily via that tripod socket and thereby get the benefit of the additional controls, as well as a handgrip, that can be fitted to a tripod easily. And, of course you can easily mount it on a tripod that does NOT have an Arca-Swiss QR clamping device.

A certain amount of precision and specificity in what you are saying is important. :)

G

Reactions: spb

dierk

Well, that's not what you said. You said "... the expensive handgrip from Hasselblad is useless, as it does not include a tripod socket." It does include a tripod socket, and you can fit an Arca Swiss compatible tripod plate to it easily via that tripod socket and thereby get the benefit of the additional controls, as well as a handgrip, that can be fitted to a tripod easily. And, of course you can easily mount it on a tripod that does NOT have an Arca-Swiss QR clamping device.

A certain amount of precision and specificity in what you are saying is important. :)

G
sorry Godfrey if I did not use the correct english term, that happens, if one writes in a foreign language.
I did not know, that the hole for the tripod screw is called a tripod socket :(
I use Arca Swiss compatible tripod mounts on all my cameras and tripods.
Hope, this is precise enough?
regards Dierk

Godfrey

Dierk,
This issue is not worth losing sleep over for either of us. The meta-issue that I'd just like to point out is that calling something "useless" just because it doesn't fit your personal needs the way you would like is a bit over the top—a bit too bombastic or dramatic—a way of phrasing the fact that you find it doesn't do what you need/want. It can be taken as a put down to others who find the same particular piece of equipment does just the right thing.

And BTW: I had no idea that English wasn't your primary language, it's not obvious from your writing. When someone writes as fluently as you do, it is almost impossible to think that you just missed a term because you don't speak the language natively. You write very well formed English.. I wish I could write in another language that fluently! :D

G

dierk

Dierk,
This issue is not worth losing sleep over for either of us. The meta-issue that I'd just like to point out is that calling something "useless" just because it doesn't fit your personal needs the way you would like is a bit over the top—a bit too bombastic or dramatic—a way of phrasing the fact that you find it doesn't do what you need/want. It can be taken as a put down to others who find the same particular piece of equipment does just the right thing.

And BTW: I had no idea that English wasn't your primary language, it's not obvious from your writing. When someone writes as fluently as you do, it is almost impossible to think that you just missed a term because you don't speak the language natively. You write very well formed English.. I wish I could write in another language that fluently! :D

G
Hi Godfrey,
you are right, I should say, that the hand grip is not for me. I use the Arca Swiss L bracket as a handgrip and can walk with it almost for hours. I prefer to use the touchscreen of the camera for the settings and control, as I have to look at it anyway. The L bracket on the left side and my right hand for the settings on the screen and shutter release is perfect for me.

My wish for the next firmware:
the option to store a set of settings as a presets. I use this back in so many different configurations (Flexbody, Techart adapter, Leica R adapter, 4x5 ..) that presets would be very helpful. I know and use it since a very long time on Nikon and Sony cameras.

And my wish for the next 90nX camera:
an EVF instead of the optical view finder. To manual focus on the screen in bright sunlight is often very difficult!
And a much better AF. This is the worst AF I used since more that 10 years!
For example: when I want to shoot stills with focus stacking I often have to move the camera out of the position, as the AF fields don't cover the part, where I want to start the focus :(

Regards from Hamburg and thanks for your friendly comment
Dierk

dierk

during my first tests of the 907X a tried my V lenses on the XV adapter, here the 60mm Distagon
I was standing only about 10m! away from our church and wanted the whole church, so I made 2x3=6 images at f/8 and 1/250 sec. hand held and stitched in LR
After the first tests I had the impression, that these old lenses are unable to cope with this 50 MP digital back, but with shorter exposure times I get sharp images, as you can see here :)

this is the final image after stitching, vertical alignment and cropping
the size of the final image is 20.000 x 15.000 pixel
please click on the images to see them in the correct size, I have the impression, that they are blown up here and look unsharper

img2021_02_21_145253-Pano.jpg

and some crops

img2021_02_21_145253-Pano-2.jpg

img2021_02_21_145253-Pano-3.jpg

did you notice the moon in the first picture?

img2021_02_21_145329.jpg

Last edited:

Godfrey

I have the Hasselblad control grip, but similar to you I often prefer to use a simple grip on the left side that I made up using an L-bracket and a readily available wooden grip originally intended for video work. It presents a different way of holding and seeing with the 907x compared to their control grip, which is really best suited to eye level shooting with the optical viewfinder accessory.

Regards your notion of enhancements to firmware, next models:
- Yes, a presets or user settings facility similar to what Leica has in the SL and CL cameras would be great. I use it a lot in CL for different shooting configurations.
- An accessory EVF would be nice, although likely a very expensive accessory. I don't know whether I'd buy it. I have a focusing hood with magnifier that I can fit to the camera when needed, and take off easily when it gets in the way. I haven't found myself needing it all that much.
- I have little opinion on the AF since I have only rarely used AF and it seems to work well enough for my needs thus far. I haven't done much with focus stacking as yet.

Although I've had the 907x SE for over a year, this past year in my photography has been up and down due to the pandemic. I feel I'm just beginning to really know the 907x and the capabilities of the CFVII 50c used with my Hasselblad 500CM. The camera has met or exceeded most all of my expectations so far. :)

G

Hi Godfrey,
you are right, I should say, that the hand grip is not for me. I use the Arca Swiss L bracket as a handgrip and can walk with it almost for hours. I prefer to use the touchscreen of the camera for the settings and control, as I have to look at it anyway. The L bracket on the left side and my right hand for the settings on the screen and shutter release is perfect for me.

My wish for the next firmware:
the option to store a set of settings as a presets. I use this back in so many different configurations (Flexbody, Techart adapter, Leica R adapter, 4x5 ..) that presets would be very helpful. I know and use it since a very long time on Nikon and Sony cameras.

And my wish for the next 90nX camera:
an EVF instead of the optical view finder. To manual focus on the screen in bright sunlight is often very difficult!
And a much better AF. This is the worst AF I used since more that 10 years!
For example: when I want to shoot stills with focus stacking I often have to move the camera out of the position, as the AF fields don't cover the part, where I want to start the focus :(

Regards from Hamburg and thanks for your friendly comment
Dierk