The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

lookbook

now i have a camera in berlin :) ..

Leica M MONOCHROM | Canon FD 55mm 1.2 aspherical
Hi there Monochrom "guys" - may I ask you longterm users - do you feel a tonality difference vs converted color images from M10(r) or M11 ... or is it mainly noise difference in higher ISO ...or the mindset to shoot a b&w camera or anything else make you use and enjoy the Monochrome Leicas?
I use my color M and allways try to tell myself, that I can alllways convert to b&w and that I dont need a B&W only camera.
... I can't speak for others -
I've always shot bw and the Leica Monochrom makes me feel a bit like I'm still shooting bw film!
There are colour shots that I like!
But not very many!!!
: )

I couldn't imagine for myself shooting colour permanently, then converting the photo to bw -.

Actually, I should photograph with Trix again ...

Godfrey

Three photos with the 1960 Hektor 135mm f/4.5.

Mailbox On Fence - Santa Clara 2023
Leica M10 Monochrom + Hektor 135mm f/4.5, Green Filter
ISO 1600 @ f/8 @ 1/750

Yellow Jacket Trap & Fence - Santa Clara 2023
ISO 3200 @ f/8 @ 1/500

Gate - Santa Clara 2023
ISO 6400 @ f/8 @ 1/500

During this shooting session, I had the Visoflex 020 fitted to the camera so I could check focusing accuracy against the rangefinder. After about 10 frames or so, I found I'd learned how to "see" the rangefinder focusing alignment precisely enough to no longer need the Visoflex. It's a bit fussy because the Hektor has a very fine-thread focusing helicoid and the focus at distance changes the coincident images very very slowly and slightly.

G

Godfrey

Hi there Monochrom "guys" - may I ask you longterm users - do you feel a tonality difference vs converted color images from M10(r) or M11 ... or is it mainly noise difference in higher ISO ...or the mindset to shoot a b&w camera or anything else make you use and enjoy the Monochrome Leicas?
I use my color M and allways try to tell myself, that I can alllways convert to b&w and that I dont need a B&W only camera.
I've been doing B&W rendering from color raw files with dozens of cameras since 2003 (the year I bought my first raw capable camera). The only color camera with which I can get results comparable to the M10-M is the Hasselblad 907x ... and the difference between these two and the rest of the cameras I've used is the fine-grained texture of the image coupled with extraordinary dynamic range.

I spent some time comparing the M10-M and M10-R recently. The difference in dynamic range and detail retention is quite obvious when you do a side-by-side test of the same test targets under the same lighting, never mind that the M10-M can return a nearly noise free image at ISO settings of 50,000 where the M10-R gets a touch 'rough' at 12,500.

Since I do tend to make mostly B&W photographs, I'd wanted a Monochrom since the M246 came out. The first thing I did was to make some shots of an Xrite Color Checker with my Leica CL and use my self-made B&W rendering presets on it to obtain a set of images which showed what I was looking for in terms of the color to grayscale translation. I then shot the Color Checker with no filter and a set of filters, and I found that the green and orange filters affected the translation of the Color Checker in the way that my preferred presets did. So the effect of using a green or orange filter nets essentially the same tonalities I was happy with from my previous color-raw to B&W work ... But with the M10-M's extraordinary image detailing, dynamic range, and ISO capabilities.

You might ask why I use the M10-M when I have the Hasselblad 907x and it can return similar qualities. Simple answers: I prefer the rangefinder; the M is a much more compact and handy camera that suits what I do now better than the Hasselblad; and keeping everything in my camera kit to one set of lenses allows me to learn the lenses better and better as I shoot more and more photos with the same lens kit. (I bought the M10-R so as to have a color option as well, now that I'm set on this strategy.)

G

Godfrey

A few new photos with the Summicron 28mm ...

Leaves on Bush - Santa Clara 2023
Leica M10 Monochrom + Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH, green filter
ISO 2500 @ f/5.6 @ 1/60

Drain and Arrow - Santa Clara 2023
ISO 2500 @ f/5.6 @ 1/60

Fruit Tree Growing in Empty Lot - Santa Clara 2023
ISO 3200 @ f/5.6 @ 1/60

Dusk Lights - Santa Clara 2023
ISO 3200 @ f/4 @ 1/45