The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

vieri

Misty morning in Val d'Orcia, Tuscany

Val d'Orcia's hills bathed in the warm sunrise light, scattered by the morning fog. Taken in Tuscany, Italy, during a Workshop I led there in late 2017. Leica SL, Leica APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90-280mm and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters.

Thank you for viewing, best regards

Vieri

pegelli

Re: Misty morning in Val d'Orcia, Tuscany

Val d'Orcia's hills bathed in the warm sunrise light, scattered by the morning fog. Taken in Tuscany, Italy, during a Workshop I led there in late 2017. Leica SL, Leica APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90-280mm and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters.
Another splendid photo Vieri. I spent a week in Tuscany (San Querico) in May 2016 and had some good light but nothing like this mixture between gold and fog.

One question, you mention the use of a filter, which one was it and why did you use it? My initial impression would be that both colours and dynamic range would fall within the DR of the sensor so no filter would be needed, but I'm sure I'm missing something. I would appreciate your insights.

vieri

Re: Misty morning in Val d'Orcia, Tuscany

Another splendid photo Vieri. I spent a week in Tuscany (San Querico) in May 2016 and had some good light but nothing like this mixture between gold and fog.

One question, you mention the use of a filter, which one was it and why did you use it? My initial impression would be that both colours and dynamic range would fall within the DR of the sensor so no filter would be needed, but I'm sure I'm missing something. I would appreciate your insights.
Hi there! Thank you for your comment, much appreciated, I am glad you enjoyed the photo! :) As far as the filter, I used a 0.9 Grad ND angled in such a way to subtly keep the light under control on the top left of the frame, where the sun was coming in. Actually, your impression that both colours and dynamic range would fall within the DR of the sensor has been made possible BY the use of filter, so to speak... ;) Without the Grad, you'd be seeing a very different image, much less smooth in tonal transitions all over the frame.

Hope this helps, best regards

Vieri

vieri

Stormy sunset at Playa Barrika, Basque Country (Spain)

Storm at sunset, a 2-minutes exposure taken at amazing Playa Barrika in the Basque Country on the Atlantic Coast of Spain during a Workshop I led there. Leica SL, Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90mm and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters.

Vieri

Greg Haag

Re: Stormy sunset at Playa Barrika, Basque Country (Spain)

Storm at sunset, a 2-minutes exposure taken at amazing Playa Barrika in the Basque Country on the Atlantic Coast of Spain during a Workshop I led there. Leica SL, Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90mm and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters.

Vieri
That’s a beautiful shot!