The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Ricoh GR III

scho

Carl, how do you find the difference between 28mm (equiv) and 40mm (equiv)? Is one more "natural" to your vision?
Too soon to judge. I'm going to start carrying both cameras on my daily walks (one in each breast pocket of my vest) and then evaluate usage and file keepers. I really liked the 20mm on m43 so the 40mm equiv is not new to me.

ggibson

I'm curious to see how the IIIx renders people portraits wide open and how much background separation there is.

scho

I'm curious to see how the IIIx renders people portraits wide open and how much background separation there is.
There is one portrait in the DPR review.
Nice bokeh balls but you won't get the dreamy background blur you want with a 40mm f/2.8 lens. The 1.5x teleconverter might do better, but an f/1.7 or even 2.0 lens is what you should have.

Last edited:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Some backyard maple trees.

Ricoh GR IIIx
Hello scho

Do you use an OVF with the GRIII x and if so , which brand is it ? ? ?
The images you posted , tempt me to place an order and my GRIII seems to be waiting for that .
The GRIII x is currently not available in Europe . I could not find any dealer having that little gem in stock .
As per RICOH Deutschland , the demand is very high and delivery might be mid DECEMBER . Puuuuuh .

scho

Hello scho

Do you use an OVF with the GRIII x and if so , which brand is it ? ? ?
The images you posted , tempt me to place an order and my GRIII seems to be waiting for that .
The GRIII x is currently not available in Europe . I could not find any dealer having that little gem in stock .
As per RICOH Deutschland , the demand is very high and delivery might be mid DECEMBER . Puuuuuh .
Hi Jürgen, I don't use an OVF and find it easy to compose and shoot just using the LCD. I do keep the horizon level tool in the display when shooting landscapes. I purchased the IIIx from Amazon Japan. Very fast shipping to USA and I had it in 3 days via DHL.
Best regards,
Carl

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Hi Jürgen, I don't use an OVF and find it easy to compose and shoot just using the LCD. I do keep the horizon level tool in the display when shooting landscapes. I purchased the IIIx from Amazon Japan. Very fast shipping to USA and I had it in 3 days via DHL.
Best regards,
Carl
Thank you carl .
I will place my order for the GRIII x here . If everthing runs fine , I might get a nice X-MAS present . :)

scho

First walk today with both the GR III and GR IIIx cameras in my vest pockets. Shots were taken at the Cornell arboretum ponds. I used my usual processing flow for the GR III which is to import raw files directly from the sd card using DXO Pure RAW to LR Classic as DNGs. I don't know the exact steps used in DPR for sharpening , but noise reduction was within the Deep Prime option. Unfortunately not able to use this process with the IIIx yet so had to import the raws directly into LR and then export to Topaz Denoise AI where both noise reduction and sharpening are done. Different appearance of the III and IIIx files is mostly due to these different processing routines. Also, no profile available yet in LR for the IIIx. Main point of the exercise was to look at FOV comparison for the two cameras. In this case the subject matter tended to favor the III.
III

IIIx

III

IIIx

scho

Here is a fun comparison shot. Fuji GFX 100s with 32-64 @ 50mm f/5.6 vs Ricoh GR IIIx 26.1 mm f/5.6 (Both are equiv 40mm focal length). The Ricoh GR IIIx shot was run through Adobe Enhance super-res in LR, otherwise same processing for both images. 100% screen grab shot in LR, click for full size.

scho

A short woodland walk above Buttermilk Creek gorge with the Ricoh GR IIIx. Post processed all files through Topaz Denoise AI 3.3.3 which is now working OK (still a problem with raw workflow, but I just send TIFFs for batch processing).

The footbridge across the gorge and into the woods. Trail to the right along edge of gorge is not safe.

Some woodbine adds a touch of color.

Buttermilk Creek upstream of the gorge.

An old oxbow from the meandering creek.

Back out on an old road that has been closed because of a bridge washout.

scho

My old grunge motifs at the old Cadscadilla Boathouse in Stewart Park, Ithaca, Ny are all gone now. Exterior renovations including new roof, shingles, windows, doors, and fresh paint have all been completed now. I miss the peeling paint and weathered shingles but will get used to the new look after awhile.

Ricoh GR IIIx

and here is a throwback shot from the grunge era that was taken in February 2021 with a Leica Q2m:

Last edited: