The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with X1D

Thank for the posy post!!
May i ask about the photos taken at 3.2 that weren't track sharp
Was it because the focus points are not accurate enough or because they are too big to precisely focus ?

Thanks
E
I don't know why. My GUESS is that the points are too large, or maybe the algorithm was not good enough. Possibly user error as well :)

mkerouac

Thanks to everyone contributing X1D images and impressions! I have a few questions for lucky owners.
  • What is a max shutter speed at a wide open aperture?
  • Can X1D fire flash in continuous drive mode?
  • Is there a wireless flash solution for achieving 1/2000s sync speed?
1) As previously stated, 1/2000 for up to 60mins..

2) Yes, the X1D will fire flash in Continuous mode.

3) Almost any wireless flash can sync up to 1/2000. I shot with Elinchrom ELB and ELC on mine, as well as nikon SB810.

D&A

Beautiful, Howard. You're doing what more of us need to do - take photographs! :thumbup:

Joe
Ah a lovely New England Winter Scene...definitely some of my favorites and to which I have a great fondness for. Very nice!

Howard in your excitement of obtaining your X1D, did you draw that symbol on the side of the barn to represent the front element of you new Hassy 45mm lens and the inner lines representing which direction to point it? :)

Dave (D&A)

Christopher

Playing around with the X1D a bit and doing some casual comparisons to the Leica S and the Sony A7rII. Very casual and very quick, mind you, not a rigorous comparison.

While comparing MFD to FF is hardly a fair comparison, I am impressed that the Sony has more micro contrast.

I'm too surprised how good the Sony looks. Or perhaps not. It is a very nice camera and in terms of resolution there isn't much difference. I think it will be very interesting what happens to the X1D and GFX when Sony pulls out there newest generation sensor for their own top camera. I really hope all this technology will find it into the net generation of X1D and GFX quickly. Won't mind it in the larger 100MP chips as well.

jdphoto

Thanks to everyone contributing X1D images and impressions! I have a few questions for lucky owners.
  • What is a max shutter speed at a wide open aperture?
  • Can X1D fire flash in continuous drive mode?
  • Is there a wireless flash solution for achieving 1/2000s sync speed?
Yes, using Elinchrom EL Skyport HS for Nikon and compatible Elinchrom D-lite RX series lights will give you high shutter sync at full power with the X1D. Very smart for Hasselblad to allow Nikon TTL flash with SB900 too. The ELB 400 will achieve the same full power high sync. It's quite an advantage over the Fuji GFX for those who require high sync unless Elinchrom adapts to Fuji.

algrove

I'm too surprised how good the Sony looks. Or perhaps not. It is a very nice camera and in terms of resolution there isn't much difference. I think it will be very interesting what happens to the X1D and GFX when Sony pulls out there newest generation sensor for their own top camera. I really hope all this technology will find it into the net generation of X1D and GFX quickly. Won't mind it in the larger 100MP chips as well.
I just hope the X1D can dissipate the heat given off by the 100MP sensor in its current form/size. That would be an accomplishment.

Yes, using Elinchrom EL Skyport HS for Nikon and compatible Elinchrom D-lite RX series lights will give you high shutter sync at full power with the X1D. Very smart for Hasselblad to allow Nikon TTL flash with SB900 too. The ELB 400 will achieve the same full power high sync. It's quite an advantage over the Fuji GFX for those who require high sync unless Elinchrom adapts to Fuji.
If Elinchrom had Fuji support Hi-Sync support I'd be facing a very tough decision. In fact, it is already quite hard, and only made easier by the decision from Fujifilm not to allow and demo units to be sent out.

hcubell

What is most striking to me are the differences in the richness and variation in the tones and colors in the "dog's ear" between the X1D and the other cameras. The X1D file looks much better to me, and this is only a JPEG on the web.

kscott

What is most striking to me are the differences in the richness and variation in the tones and colors in the "dog's ear" between the X1D and the other cameras. The X1D file looks much better to me, and this is only a JPEG on the web.
And just FYI, these were all shot handheld using each camera's autofocus system, imported into Lightroom, and the only adjusting that I did other than the manipulation that happens during import and export to JPEG, was to try to normalize exposure (no more than a half stop on any file.) In other words, this is what you get without much effort. :)

cly

A caveat: If you overlay the X1D and the Leica image, you see that both are taken from a slightly different angle/camera position. That's why the ear is reflecting the light in different ways.

Chris

jduncan

1) As previously stated, 1/2000 for up to 60mins..

2) Yes, the X1D will fire flash in Continuous mode.

3) Almost any wireless flash can sync up to 1/2000. I shot with Elinchrom ELB and ELC on mine, as well as nikon SB810.

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Have you actually tested it with the X1D ?

Best regards,

peterv

Hi,

I would think it is quite OK to compare, the cameras are in the same neighbourhood regarding resolution, but I would say that it is the A7rII that is correctly (or best) focused.

Best regards
Erik
Hi Erik, that could very well be the case. I think I recognise some motion blur in the Leica S shot. Something I know all too well from shooting my S2-P with the 120mm handheld, which I find very difficult with shutter speeds < 1/500.

Malina DZ

Erik Lundqvist, mkerouac, jdphoto, thank you for your replies!
Could someone take a still life shot with a wireless flash setup at 1/2000s, iso100 and a wide open aperture that would showcase transitions from in focus area into blur? I wonder if there is going to be any visible distortion caused by a leaf shutter?

mkerouac

Erik Lundqvist, mkerouac, jdphoto, thank you for your replies!
Could someone take a still life shot with a wireless flash setup at 1/2000s, iso100 and a wide open aperture that would showcase transitions from in focus area into blur? I wonder if there is going to be any visible distortion caused by a leaf shutter?
This is the closest I have 1/2000 sec, ISO 100 and f5.6. Elinchrom Strobes. Used Elinchrom Skyport+ for Nikon on the hot shoe.

Hannah_0375.jpg

mkerouac

Use the the ODS on the Elinchrom EL Skyport to adjust the delay. There should be almost no perceptible delay. What lens are you using and what's the fastest aperture?
This was the 90mm f3.2. How would the ODS change the flash firing delay? The flash still has to wait for the shutter to open to fire. In the case of the X1D, thats the 2nd click. I thought ODS was used to change the timing of the duration, so you don't get light drop off across the frame? I tried setting speed mode on both the Skyport HS+ and the strobes. No difference with leaf shutter.