The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with X1D

tashley

Subscriber Member
Ok, I thought it would make it easier to follow my comments.
If only! It makes it easier to see *where* your comments are but the red against the sit's background color produces a really weird visual effect - for me at least!

KeithL

Or do this.

1: I like the 'joystick' for selecting focus points quickly, and the ability to make the focus point very small. Very quick and intuitive to use. Both of these things worry me a little bit about the X1d. Seems like a big oversight for me.
Answer

2: Excellent EVF. It ain't no OVF, but I forgot about it pretty quickly. I could easily live with it, as the refresh and resolution was good. This is another area I'm concerned about with the X1d, as for me the less aware of this technology I am – the less it imposes itself on the user experience – the better.
Answer

3: It's not going to win any awards for beauty. Although the ergonomics seem adequate, I felt it was a bit off balance and the my hands, which are medium size. The grip wasn't all that comfortable, to be honest, although I could probably live with it. The body is auite thick.
Answer

And so on...

Eli

Heads up:

New firmware for our beloved cameras on on the Hasselblad website.

Have more fun.

Eli

eleanorbrown

The AUTO WB and all color balance settings...daylight etc are MUCH better. And the awful green cast on LCD is gone! Auto WB works like it should. Eleanor

=JoshMerwin;720437]Thanks Nick, I will do that. Who wants to be the first firmware guinea pig???!!! :clap:

Firmware updates:[/QUOTE]

Eli

Also, my complaint about the maximum auto-iso previously being 3200 has been addressed: now it's user settable to any up to the maximum. Also, the focus peaking is really nice. Now, to take some pictures.

Eli

Qamaro

wasn't sure where to exactly post this and didn't want to generate a new thread. I figured here would be a good place considering what I wanted to share was less the review but some of the example photos. I personally like the architectural b+w and the portrait - above the handling section) this camera has a lovely recipe from its pipeline in its neutral tones and color rendition imho... in either case here is the link:

The HASSELBLAD X1D Street Review by Cosyspeed

[apologize upfront if this was shared before or somewhere else..]

hcubell

This is for Victor. Sorry I did not have time to take something more interesting in the snow with the XCD 30MM lens, so I just shot this from my bedroom window this morning. F/9.5 at 1/90. Zero processing in Phocus. The XCD 30MM lens appears incredibly sharp right into the corners. After buying 4 copies of each Sony/Zeiss lens to get one good copy, I am amazed at the performance of the first and only copy of each of the XCD lenses that I purchased. These are exceptional lenses.

B_0704.jpg

couple of questions ....
(i) given the large sensor in a thin and small body - did Hasselblad manage to avoid heat issues?
(ii) any insight at all if a possible roadmap will include a wide tilt-shift?
Thanks!

vjbelle

This is for Victor. Sorry I did not have time to take something more interesting in the snow with the XCD 30MM lens, so I just shot this from my bedroom window this morning. F/9.5 at 1/90. Zero processing in Phocus. The XCD 30MM lens appears incredibly sharp right into the corners. After buying 4 copies of each Sony/Zeiss lens to get one good copy, I am amazed at the performance of the first and only copy of each of the XCD lenses that I purchased. These are exceptional lenses.
It sure is ALL about the lenses. I always did think that the Sony/Zeiss lenses were junk with incredible sample variations. Great to see these kind of results.....

Victor

Eli

couple of questions ....
(i) given the large sensor in a thin and small body - did Hasselblad manage to avoid heat issues?
Thanks!
Jon,

I have been using the camera quite consistently and have not notice any heat problems whatsoever.

No, I have not been shooting in desert conditions, but in normal California spring-like conditions, everything seems "normal." -- Eli

tashley

Subscriber Member
It sure is ALL about the lenses. I always did think that the Sony/Zeiss lenses were junk with incredible sample variations. Great to see these kind of results.....

Victor
You're so right about that. The trouble is, when you get a good one, they really are good. It has taken me years to assemble a good stable of them and now even if I sold my A7RII I would keep the lenses as an insurance policy against Sony finally releasing a camera that feels really nice to use!

hcubell

couple of questions ....
Thanks!
Well, I have been shooting in sub-freezing temperatures in New England. If the body were giving off any heat, it would be welcome.

vjbelle

You're so right about that. The trouble is, when you get a good one, they really are good. It has taken me years to assemble a good stable of them and now even if I sold my A7RII I would keep the lenses as an insurance policy against Sony finally releasing a camera that feels really nice to use!
This just makes me shake my head in disbelief.... 'Years to assemble a good stable of them' is a staggering statement of the complete lack of QC for those lenses. How many dealers did you burn bridges with? That's what made me just move on..... I didn't want B&H to ban me - you can only buy and return a lens so many times before finally someone says 'I don't want to do business with you'!! I hope the next iteration of the Sony camera is to your liking..... I expect that it will be somewhat of a show stopper.

Victor

jerome_m

This just makes me shake my head in disbelief.... 'Years to assemble a good stable of them' is a staggering statement of the complete lack of QC for those lenses.
Generally speaking, one gets the quality control one is prepared to pay for. One should not be surprised that a lens that retails for 1000$ has more sample variation than one that retails for 3 times as much. All the more if the MF lens is a prime and the cheaper lens a zoom, which implies more complex mechanics and twice as many elements.

vjbelle

Generally speaking, one gets the quality control one is prepared to pay for. One should not be surprised that a lens that retails for 1000$ has more sample variation than one that retails for 3 times as much. All the more if the MF lens is a prime and the cheaper lens a zoom, which implies more complex mechanics and twice as many elements.
At the price point that the Sony/Zeiss lenses were marketed their QC vs. decent competition was outside the window. You would also, maybe, be surprised at the QC variations that I have experienced with lenses costing up to 7 times the $1000.00 retail of Sony/Zeiss. That being said, I think that lens manufacturing is a very difficult process with extremely difficult repeat-ability. I also think that lens manufacturers are sensitive to the disappointment of their customers. Maybe all of this will lead to some sort of cost effective way of improving QC so that the cost of reliably purchasing an acceptable lens isn't astronomical. Howard's post seems to point to that end. Time will tell.....

Victor